The M. Vladimirsky Moscow Regional Research Clinical Institute (MONIKI), Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Irina V. Trigolosova PhD, ScD. The M. Vladimirsky Moscow Regional Research Clinical Institute (MONIKI). 61/2 Shepkina st, build 9, Moscow, 129110, Russian Federation. Tel: (495) 681-13-08.E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: June 25, 2013
A detailed study of the dynamics of leptin in the various types of disturbances in carbohydrate metabolism could reveal its role in the pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM).
The aim of this study was to investigate the Fasting Leptin Level (FLL) and effect of acute hyperinsulinemia during the Intravenous Glucose Tolerance Test (IVGTT) on the leptin levels in women with Insulin Resistance Syndrome (IRS).
Materials and Methods: In total, 59 obese women (54.0 [48.5-60.0] yrs; BMI – 33.2 [29.0-37.2] kg/m²) with IRS (12 – obesity (NGT), 18 - ITG and 30 - T2DM) were observed. The IVGTT test was done only in women with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and T2DM. The leptin level was investigated during fasting conditions and again 120 min post glucose loading. Then the Hepatic glucose production Index (H-index) was calculated using the IVGTT data.
Results: The FLL in women with normal glucose tolerance (NGT) was almost two times greater than in women with IGT and T2DM. A negative relationship was found to exist between FLL and HbA1c in T2DM (r=0.3, p<0.05). A positive correlation (r=0.3, p<0.05) was also recorded between FLL and the H-index in compensated T2DM women (HbA1c<7%), a negative correlation (r=0.3, p<0.05) was recorded between FLL and the H-index in decompensated T2DM women (HbA1c>8%). The leptin level significantly decreased at 120 min of IVGTT in both the IGT and T2DM groups (p<0.05).
Conclusion: The FLL depended upon the degree of glucose metabolism impairment; postprandial leptin response to the glucose load was lower in the IGT group than in the T2DM subjects.
- Toushima Y, Gavrilova O, Yakar S, Jou W, Pack S, Asghar Z, et al. Leptin improves insulin resistance and hyperglycemia in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Endocrinology 2005; 146(9):4024–35.
- Anderwald C, Muller G, Koca G, Fürnsinn C, Waldhäusl W, Roden M. Short-term leptin-dependent inhibition of hepatic gluconeogenesis is mediated by insulin receptor substrate-2. Mol Endocrinol 2002; 16(7):1612–28.
- Iritani N, Sugimoto T, Fukuda H. Gene expressions of leptin, insulin receptors and lipogenic enzymes are coordinately regulated by insulin and dietary fat in rats. J Nutr 2000; 130(5):1183–8.
- Dreval AV, Ametov A. Impaired glucose balance and subtypes of diabetes mellitus revealed in intravenous glucose tolerance test. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2007; 78(3):S68-7.
- Buyukbese M, Cetinkaya A, Kocabas R, Guven A, Tarakcioglu M. Leptin levels in obese women with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus. Mediators Inflamm 2004; 13(5-6):321-5.
- Schwartz MW, Peskind E, Raskind M, Boyko EJ, Porte D Jr. Cerebrospinal fluid leptin levels: relationship to plasma levels and to adiposity in humans. Nat Med 1996; 2(5):589-93.
- Kolaczynski JW, Ohannesian J, Considine RV, Marco C, Caro JF. Response of leptin to short-term and prolonged overfeeding in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81(11):4162–5.
- Mueller WM, Gregoire FM, Stanhope KL, Mobbs CV, Mizuno TM, Warden CH, et al. Evidence that glucose metabolism regulates leptin secretion from cultured rat adipocytes. Endocrinology 1998; 139(2):551–8.
- Fruehwald-Schultes B, Oltmanns KM, Kern W, Born J, Fehm HL, Peters A. The effect of experimentally induced insulin resistance on the leptin response to hyperinsulinaemia. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2002; 26(4):510-6.
- Haffner SM, Mkkanen L, Rainwater DL, Karhapää P, Laakso M. Is leptin concentration associated with insulin resistance syndrome in nondiabetic men? Obes Res 1999; 7(2):164-9.
- Masuo K, Katsuya T, Ogihara T, Tuck ML. Acute hyperinsulinemia reduces plasma leptin levels in insulin-sensitive Japanese men. Am J Hypertens 2005; 18(2 Pt 1):235-43.
- Romon M, Lebel P, Fruchart JC, Dallongeville J. Postprandial leptin response to carbohydrate and fat meals in obese women. J Am Coll Nutr 2003; 22(3):247-51.
- Saad MF, Khan A, Sharma A, Michael R, Riad-Gabriel MG, Boyadjian R, et al. Physiological insulinemia acutely modulates plasma leptin. Diabetes 1998; 47(4):544-9.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2013; 3(2):63-66. © 2013 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.