International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(4):416-420.
Originally published December 10, 2020
Background: The aim of this study was to estimate the blood levels of interleukins (ILs) and tissue factor (TF) in rat blood when modeling acute mesenteric ischemia (AMI) in various stages and during reperfusion.
Methods and Results: The study was performed on white non-linear male rats, weighing 200±25g. AMI was simulated by ligating the cranial mesenteric artery at the mesentery root. Then, at certain time intervals, a relaparotomy was performed, blood was collected, and the animals were subjected to reperfusion at different time intervals.
During the experiment, the animals were divided into 3 groups depending on the time of ischemia (3 hours [n=10], 6 hours [n=10], and 8 hours [n=10]) followed by reperfusion after the indicated time of ischemia.
The level of ILs (IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10) and TF in rat blood serum was determined by EIA. We found that AMI in rats is accompanied by pronounced changes in the immune system and the development of a systemic inflammatory reaction syndrome, which is aggravated by reperfusion. At the same time, the restoration of blood flow after 3-hour ischemia was characterized by an increase in the concentration of IL-6, IL-8, and IL-10; after 6-hour ischemia – by an increase in the IL-6, IL-8 content and TF, and stabilization of the IL-10 concentration. Reperfusion after 8-hour ischemia was accompanied by an increase in the IL-6 concentration, a decrease in the levels of IL-8, IL-10, and TF, which can lead to the progression of necrotic changes in the intestine.
Conclusion: The detected changes can serve as laboratory markers that characterize the course and stage of acute mesenteric ischemia.
- Al-Diery H, Phillips A, Evennett N, Pandanaboyana S, Gilham M, Windsor JA. The Pathogenesis of Nonocclusive Mesenteric Ischemia: Implications for Research and Clinical Practice. J Intensive Care Med. 2019 Oct;34(10):771-781. doi: 10.1177/0885066618788827.
- van Dijk LJ, van Noord D, de Vries AC, Kolkman JJ, Geelkerken RH, Verhagen HJ, Moelker A, Bruno MJ. Clinical management of chronic mesenteric ischemia. United European Gastroenterol J. 2019 Mar;7(2):179-188. doi: 10.1177/2050640618817698.
- Gnanapandithan K, Feuerstadt P. Review Article: Mesenteric Ischemia. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2020 Mar 17;22(4):17. doi: 10.1007/s11894-020-0754-x.
- Choghakhori R, Abbasnezhad A, Hasanvand A, Amani R. Inflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress biomarkers in irritable bowel syndrome: Association with digestive symptoms and quality of life. Cytokine. 2017 May;93:34-43. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2017.05.005.
- Kany S, Vollrath JT, Relja B. Cytokines in Inflammatory Disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(23):6008. Published 2019 Nov 28. doi:10.3390/ijms20236008
- Derikx JP, Schellekens DH, Acosta S. Serological markers for human intestinal ischemia: A systematic review. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2017 Feb;31(1):69-74. doi: 10.1016/j.bpg.2017.01.004.
- Te Winkel JP, Drucker NA, Morocho BS, Shelley WC, Markel TA. Interleukin-6 Therapy Improves Intestinal Recovery Following Ischemia. J Surg Res. 2019 Jul;239:142-148. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2019.02.001.
- Artamonova ZA, Namokonov EV, Tereshkov PP, Rusaeva NS. [Method for the diagnosis of intestinal necrosis in mesenteric ischemia in experiment]. Patent RU 2552338 C1, 10.06.2015. Application №. 2014110453/15 of 03.18.2014. [In Russian].
- Manual on Experimental (Preclinical) Study of New Pharmacological Substances. Ed. R. U. Khabriev. Moscow, 2005. [in Russian].
- Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Sholokhov LF, Rashidova MA, Semenova NV, Kolesnikov S.I., et al. Lipid peroxidation activity in women with chronic viral hepatitis. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2016;100(S):S192.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Nikitina OA, Lazareva LM, et al. Activity of LPO Processes in Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Infertility. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;162(3):320-322. doi:10.1007/s10517-017-3605-5
- Kolesnikova LI, Rychkova LV, Kolesnikova LR, Darenskaya MA, Natyaganova LV, Grebenkina LA, et al. Coupling of Lipoperoxidation Reactions with Changes in Arterial Blood Pressure in Hypertensive ISIAH Rats under Conditions of Chronic Stress. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2018;164(6):712-715. doi:10.1007/s10517-018-4064-3
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Romanova ED, Chkhenkeli VA, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, et al. Effect of Preparation Based on Trametes Pubescens Xylotroph Fungi on Lipid Peroxidation in the Blood of Experimental Animals under Conditions of Dark Stress. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;162(6):762-764. doi:10.1007/s10517-017-3707-0
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikova LR, Darenskaya MA, Natyaganova LV, Grebenkina LA, Korytov LI, et al. Evaluation of Lipid Peroxidation-Antioxidant Defense System Depending on the Stage of Stress Reaction in Hypertensive ISIAH Rats. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2019;166(5):610-612. doi:10.1007/s10517-019-04402-6
- Toldo S, Mauro AG, Cutter Z, Abbate A. Inflammasome, pyroptosis, and cytokines in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2018 Dec 1;315(6):H1553-H1568. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00158.2018.
- Khripun AI, Shurygin SN, Mironkov AB, Izvekov AA, Guseva TV, Pryamikov AD. [Microcirculation in the small and large intestine with thrombosis and thromboembolism of the mesenteric arteries]. Khirurgiya. Zhurnal imeni N.I. Pirogova. 2011;9:27-32. [In Russian]
- Bertoni S, Ballaben V, Barocell E, Tognolini M. Mesenteric ischemia-reperfusion: an overview of preclinical drug strategies. Drug Discov Today. 2018;23(7):1416-1425. doi:10.1016/j.drudis.2018.05.034
- Kolesnikova LR, Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Pogodina AV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikov SI, et al. Oxidative stress parameters and state of regional periodontal blood flow in adolescents with arterial hypertension and periodontal diseases. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(4):301-305. doi:10.21103/Article8(4)_OA6
- Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense parameters in different diseases: ethnic aspects. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2018;120(S1):60.
- Bairova TA, Kolesnikov SI, Kolesnikova LI, Pervushina OA, Darenskaya M.A, Grebenkina LA. Lipid peroxidation and mitochondrial superoxide dismutase-2 gene in adolescents with essential hypertension. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014;158(2):181-184. doi:10.1007/s10517-014-2717-4
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI. [Free radical oxidation: pathophysiologist's view]. Bulletin of Siberian medicine. 2017;16(4):16-29. [Article in Russian].
- Poles MZ, Bódi N, Bagyánszki M, Fekete É, Mészáros AT, Varga G, Szűcs S, Nászai A, Kiss L, Kozlov AV, Boros M, Kaszaki J. Reduction of nitrosative stress by methane: Neuroprotection through xanthine oxidoreductase inhibition in a rat model of mesenteric ischemia-reperfusion. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018 May 20;120:160-169. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.03.024.
Received September 26, 2020.
Accepted October 31, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.