International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(2):173-176.
Originally published June 5, 2021
The purpose of the present work was to obtain and study the properties of composite calcium-pectic gel particles (CaPGPs) obtained from aqueous solutions of apple pectin (AP) in the concentration of 2% and pectin heracleuman (HS) in the concentration of 3% in the presence of Ca2+ ions (0.34 M). The swelling of the obtained CaPGPs in an artificial gastric environment was also investigated.
Methods and Results: We used commercial AP AU701 (AP, Herbstreith & Fox KG, Germany) and HP isolated from the aerial part of the Sosnovskyi hogweed Heracleum sosnowskyi Manden. Composite CaPGPs were obtained from aqueous solutions of AP (2%) and HS (3%) in the presence of Ca2+ ions (0.34 M) by the method of ionotropic gelation. The diameter and density of CaPGPs were determined. Dry gel particles from 2% AP were larger (1.18±0.19 mm) than dry gel particles from 3% HS (1.04±0.07 mm) and dry composite gel particles (1.01±0.06 mm). However, dry composite gel particles and dry gel particles from HS were approximately 3 times denser than dry gel particles from AP. Composite CaPGPs swelled by 74.2% in simulated gastric fluid (SGF). The degree of swelling in SGF of CaPGPs formed from HS was 15.6% lower, and CaPGPs formed from AP –52.2%.
1. Shubakov AA, Mikhailova EA, Prosheva VI, Belyy VA. Swelling and degradation of calcium-pectic gel particles made of pectins of Silene vulgaris and Lemna minor callus cultures at different concentrations of pectinase in an artificial colon environment. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1):60-64. doi: 10.21103/Article8(1)_OA10.
2. Efimtseva EA, Chelpanova TI. [Apples as a sources of soluble and insoluble dietary fibres. The influence of apple fibres on appetite]. Human Physiology. 2020;46(2):121-132. doi: 10.31857/S0131164620020058. [Article in Russian].
3. Volkova MV, Khasanshina ZR, Popov SV, Markov PA. [Gel granules from pectin callus Lupinus angustifolius prevent the premature release of mesalazine]. Biotechnology. 2020;36(1):53-60. doi: 10.21519/0234-2758-2020-36-1-53-60. [Article in Russian].
4. Shubakov AA, Mikhailova EA. Production, properties and transit of copper-pectic gel particles through an artificial gastroenteric environment. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(4):421-423.doi: 10.21103/Article10(4)_OA18.
5. Shubakov AA, Mikhailova EA. Production, properties and swelling of copper-pectic gel particles in an artificial gastroenteric environment. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(1):50-52. doi: 10.21103/Article11(1)_OA10.
6. Khramova DS, Vityazev FV, Saveliev NY, Burkov AA, Beloserov VS, Martinson EA, Litvinets SG, Popov SV. Pectin gelling in acidic gastric condition increases rheological properties of gastric digesta and reduces glycaemic response in mice. Carbohydr Polym. 2019;205:456-464. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2018.10.053.
7. Günter EA, Popeyko OV, Belozerov VS, Martinson EA, Litvinets SG. Physicochemical and swelling properties of composite gel microparticles based on alginate and callus cultures pectins with low and high degrees of methylesterification. Int J Biol Macromol. 2020;164:863-870. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.07.189.
8. Oliveira GF, Ferrari PC, Carvalho LQ, Evangelista RC. Chitosan-pectin multiparticulate systems associated with enteric polymers for colonic drug delivery. Carbohydr Polym. 2010;82(3):1004-1009. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2010.06.041.
9. Günter EA, Martynov VV, Belozerov VS, Martinson EA, Litvinets SG. Characterization and swelling properties of composite gel microparticles based on the pectin and κ-carrageenan. Int J Biol Macromol. 2020;164:2232-2239. doi: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.08.024.
10. Patova OA, Golovchenko VV, Vityazev FV, Burkov AA, Litvinets SG, Martinson EA, Belyi VA, Kuznetsov SN. Physicochemical and rheological properties of gelling pectin from Sosnowskyi's hogweed (Heracleum sosnowskyi) obtained using different pretreatment conditions. Food Hydrocolloids. 2017;65:77-86. doi: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2016.10.042.
11. Sriamornsak P. Effect of calcium concentration, hardening agent and drying condition on release characteristics of oral proteins from calcium pectinate gel beads. Eur J Pharm Sci. 1999;8(3):221-227. doi: 10.1016/s0928-0987(99)00010-x.
12. Gebara C, Chaves KS, Ribeiro MCE, Souza FN, Grosso CRF, Gigante ML. Viability of Lactobacillus acidophilus La5 in pectin-whey protein microparticles during exposure to simulated gastrointestinal conditions. Food Res Int. 2013;51:872-878. doi: 10.1016/j.foodres.2013.02.008.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.