International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(2):151-155.
Originally published June 5, 2021
The aim of this study was to assess visceral leishmaniasis (VL) among infected Sudanese patients in Al–Gedaref state.
Methods and Results: A case-control study was conducted among patients with VL attending Al–Gaderif Teaching Hospital. A total of 80 subjects were included in the study: 40 patients with VL (the main group [MG]) and 40 apparently healthy individuals (the control group [CG]). The complete blood count (CBC) was determined using the Sysmex KX-21 N hematological analyzer. The platelet-poor plasma was used to determine prothrombin time (PT), thrombin time (TT), and activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT).
The age group of 12-21 years was the most frequent (40%) among VL patients. Male patients were significantly more frequent (72.5%) than females (P-value=0.02). In MG, the Hb level was 8.71±1.73g/dL, compared to 14.25±4.11g/dL in CG, which reflected the severity of the disease. WBCs and neutrophils decreased significantly, compared to CG, but lymphocytes increased significantly. Thrombocytopenia was observed among pediatric patients, indicating bleeding tendency as one of the VL complications. The platelet and coagulation profile of patients was also altered. PT and aPTT were prolonged significantly, compared to CG.
1. WHO. Leishmaniasis. Key facts. 2 March 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/leishmaniasis#:~:text=V...(VL)%2C%20also,East%20Africa%20and%20in%20India.
2. Oskam L, Pratlong F, Zijlstra EE, Kroon CC, Dedet IP, Kager PA, Schönian G, Ghalib HW, el-Hassan AM, Meredith SE. Biochemical and molecular characterization of Leishmania parasites isolated from an endemic focus in eastern Sudan. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1998 Jan-Feb;92(1):120-2. doi: 10.1016/s0035-9203(98)90982-8.
3. Elnaiem DA, Hassan HK, Ward RD. Phlebotomine sandflies in a focus of visceral leishmaniasis in a border area of eastern Sudan. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1997 Apr;91(3):307-18. doi: 10.1080/00034989761157.
4. Ngure P, Kimutai A, Tonui W, Nganga Z. A Review of Leishmaniasis in Eastern Africa. Original Article. The Internet Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2008;4(1).
5. Cotterell SE, Engwerda CR, Kaye PM. Leishmania donovani infection of bone marrow stromal macrophages selectively enhances myelopoiesis, by a mechanism involving GM-CSF and TNF-alpha. Blood. 2000 Mar 1;95(5):1642-51.
6. 5Ross R. Note on the bodies recently described by Leishman and Donovan. Br Med J. 1903;2:1261–2. doi: 10.1136/bmj.2.2237.1261.
7. Steverding D. The history of leishmaniasis. Parasit Vectors. 2017 Feb 15;10(1):82. doi: 10.1186/s13071-017-2028-5.
8. Ross R. Further notes of Leishman’s bodies. Br Med J. 1903;2:1401. doi: 10.1136/bmj.2.2239.1401.
9. Alborzi A, Pouladfar GR, Aelami MH. Visceral Leishmaniasis; literature review and Iranian experience. Iranian Journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases 2007; 2(2): 99-108.
10. Varma N, Naseem S. Hematologic changes in visceral leishmaniasis/kala azar. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2010 Sep;26(3):78-82. doi: 10.1007/s12288-010-0027-1.
11. Bafghi AF, Shahcheraghi SH, Nematollahi S. Comparison of hematological aspects: Visceral leishmaniasis and healthy children. Trop Parasitol. 2015 Jul-Dec;5(2):133-5. doi: 10.4103/2229-5070.145597.
12. Middib MM, Al-Mouktar FA. Hematological Changes Including the Immune system in Patients with Visceral Leishmaniasis at Al-Muthanna Governorate. Journal of Babylon University (Pure and Applied Sciences). 2014;(4):22.
13. Costa CH, Werneck GL, Costa DL, Holanda TA, Aguiar GB, Carvalho AS, Cavalcanti JC, Santos LS. Is severe visceral leishmaniasis a systemic inflammatory response syndrome? A case control study. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2010 Jul-Aug;43(4):386-92. doi: 10.1590/s0037-86822010000400010.
14. Hamid GA, Gobah GA. Clinical and hematological manifestations of visceral leishmaniasis in Yemeni children. Turk J Haematol. 2009 Mar 5;26(1):25-8.
15. Sarkari B, Naraki T, Ghatee MA, Abdolahi Khabisi S, Davami MH. Visceral Leishmaniasis in Southwestern Iran: A Retrospective Clinico-Hematological Analysis of 380 Consecutive Hospitalized Cases (1999-2014). PLoS One. 2016 Mar 4;11(3):e0150406. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0150406.
16. Pippard MJ, Moir D, Weatherall DJ, Lenicker HM. Mechanism of anaemia in resistant visceral leishmaniasis. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1986 Jun;80(3):317-23. doi: 10.1080/00034983.1986.11812022.
17. Jain K, Jain NK. Vaccines for visceral leishmaniasis: A review. J Immunol Methods. 2015 Jul;422:1-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jim.2015.03.017.
18. Pahwa R, Gupta SK, Singh T, Nigam S. Acute fulminant visceral leishmaniasis in children--a report of two cases. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2004 Jul;47(3):428-30.
19. Al-Muhammadi MO, Al-Shujiri GSH, Noor. MH Hematological changes in children suffering from Visceral Leishmaniasis (Kalaz-Aazar). Medical Journal of Babylon. 2014;1:4. doi: 1812-156X1-4.
20. Kafetzis DA. An overview of paediatric leishmaniasis. J Postgrad Med. 2003 Jan-Mar;49(1):31-8. doi: 10.4103/0022-3859.930.
21. Helmi FI, Al-Allawi NAS, Al-Attar AM. Hematological changes in kala azar: a study of 82 Iraqi patients. J Community Med 1993;69:85-90.
22. Rahim F, Rehman F, Ahmad S, Zada B. Visceral leishmaniasis in District Dir, NWFP. J Pak Med Assoc. 1998 Jun;48(6):161-2.
23. Dameshek W, Miller EB. The megakaryocytes in idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura, a form of hypersplenism. Opera Omnia 1975;27-48.
24. Rani GF, Preham O, Ashwin H, Brown N, Hitchcock IS, Kaye PM. Dissecting pathways to thrombocytopenia in a mouse model of visceral leishmaniasis. Blood Adv. 2021 Mar 23;5(6):1627-1637. doi: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2020004082.
25. Gulati S, Paljor HP, Panadit S, et al. Kala-Azar without Splenomegaly. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health. 2009;2(2):57-60.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.