International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(2):160-163.
Originally published June 5, 2021
Background: Mallory-Weiss syndrome (MWS) is one of the common causes of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. The aim of our research was to develop a method for the treatment of MWS, which would improve the efficiency of local hemostasis, reduce the risk of re-bleeding and shorten the treatment time.
Methods and Results: The study involved 102 patients with MWS. All patients were divided by random sampling into two groups: the main group (MG) and control group (CG). Patients of both groups were comparable in age, gender, concomitant diseases, type of bleeding, size of bleeding defect, and duration of observations.
The MG included 52 patients, who were given the developed method of MWS treatment. Patients with ongoing bleeding were treated with a combined method of endoscopic hemostasis: active bleeding was initially stopped by infiltration or coagulation (argon-plasma coagulation was preferred), and then to increase the reliability of hemostasis and prevent the resumption of bleeding, powdered Zhelplastan 0.2g was applied to the rupture area with an insufflator, followed by Sephadex G-25 0.3g (Patent RF №2633925). In patients with signs of unstable hemostasis, the developed method of cytoprotective action on a clot or thrombosed vessel was used by applying a local hemostatic, Zhelplastan 0.2g, to the defect area in combination with a granular sorbent, Sephadex G-25 0.3g, during therapeutic endoscopy to prevent the resumption of bleeding. In patients with stable stopped bleeding, a hemostatic powdered Zhelplastan was applied to the defect area using an endoscope in combination with Sephadex G-25, according to the developed method.
In the CG (n=50), well-known methods of arresting endoscopic bleeding (pricking with aminocaproic acid, vasoconstrictors, argon-plasma coagulation, etc.) were used without local hemostatics and granular sorbents.
Summing up the results of patients with Mallory-Weiss syndrome in the compared groups, in the MG final hemostasis was performed in 51(98.1%) patients. In the MG, bleeding resumed in 1(1.9%) patient. There were no emergency operations or deaths. In the CG, the bleeding was finally stopped in 43(86%) patients, and it resumed in 7(14%) patients. Emergency surgery was required for 1(2%) patient. In the CG, the mortality rate was 4%.
Conclusion: In MWS, the use of the developed method of endoscopic treatment, including pneumoinsufflation of a powdered hemostatic agent in combination with a granular sorbent, against the background of conservative therapy, improved the results of treatment, increased the reliability of local hemostasis, reduced the number of recurrent bleedings, and excluded emergency operations.
- Budnevsky AV, Cherednikov ЕF, Popov AV, Ovsyannikov ES, Kravchenko AY, Fursov KO. A Complex Multidisciplinary Approach to Prevention Gastro-duodenal Bleeding in Patients of General Hospital. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(3):204-207. doi: 10.21103/Article7(3)_OA8
- Cherednikov ЕF, Budnevsky AV, Popov AV, Fursov KO. A new opinion on gastroduodenal bleeding preventon in patients with somatic pathology. The EPMA Journal. 2017;8(S1):46.
- Cherednikov E F, Chernyh AV, Maleev YuV, Popov AV, Stekolnikov VV. [Topographical and anatomical prerequisites for the development of Mallory-Weiss syndrome]. Bulletin of the Russian Military Medical Academy. 2015;(S2):153-154. [Article in Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Deryaeva OG, Adianov VV, Ovchinnikov IF, Popov AV. [Modern directions of prevention and treatment of patients with gastrointestinal bleeding in the center]. System Analysis and Management in Biomedical Systems. 2014;13(2):426-433. [Article in Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Maleev YuV, Chernyh AV, Litovkina TE, Bondarenko AA, Cherednikov EE, Popov AV. [Current views on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of ruptured hemorrhagic syndrome (Mallory-Weiss syndrome)]. Journal of New Medical Technologies. 2016;23(4):161-172. [Article in Russian].
- Baev VE, Kravets BB, Cherednikov EF. [Diagnostics of ulcerative forms of stomach cancer]. Voronezh. 2003:112. [In Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Barannikov SV, Maleev YuV, Fursov KO, Litovkina TE, Zakurdaev EI. [Experimental justification of the use of biologically active draining sorbent and plasma enriched by thrombocytes in treatment of bleeding defects of the stomach]. Journal of New Medical Technologies. 2017;24(2):114-118. [Article in Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Batkaev AR, Baev VE. The Reparative regeneration of erosive-ulcerative lesions of the stomach and duodenum in the local treatment of hydrophilic granular sorbents. System Analysis and Management in Biomedical Systems. 2005;4(2):224-225. [Article in Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Maleev YuV, Chernyh AV, Litovkina TE, Cherednikov EE, Shevtsov AN. [Modern views on the etiology and pathogenesis of ruptured hemorrhagic syndrome (Mallory-Weiss syndrome)]. Journal of anatomy and Histopathology. 2016;5(1):86-98. [Article in Russian].
- Adianov VV, Cherednikov EF. [Optimizing treatment of gastroduodenal bleeding in patients with high surgical risk]. System Analysis and Management in Biomedical Systems. 2014;13(4):841-846. [Article in Russian].
- Deryaeva OG, Cherednikov EF. [Multimodality therapy of erosiveulcer gastroduodenal bleeding by patients in a multidisciplinary hospital]. System Analysis and Management in Biomedical Systems. 2014; 13(3):725-730. [Article in Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Barannikov SV, Fursov KO, Polubkova GV, Danilenko VI, Stepanov DS. [Healing of bleeding experimental defects of the stomach with topical anilovin and platelet-rich plasma]. Journal of Volgograd State Medical University. 2017;2(62):130-133. [Article in Russian].
- Cherednikov EF, Barannikov SV, Yuzefovich IS, Polubkova GV, Maleev YuV, Volkova IV, Vysotskaya AT, Strygin OV, Ovsyannikov ES. Innovative Endoscopic Technologies in the Complex Treatment of Patients with Unstable Stopped Gastroduodenal Bleeding. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(1):24-28. doi:10.21103/Article11(1)_OA4
- Cherednikov ЕF, Barannikov SV, Maleev YuV, Fursov KO, Litovkina TE, Zakurdaev EI, Ovsyannikov ES. Experimental justification of using Aseptisorb-A and platelet-rich plasma in endoscopic treatment of mold bleeding stomach defects. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(4):298-301. doi: 10.21103/Article7(4)_OA5
- Cherednikov ЕF, Barannikov SV, Romantsov MN, Popov AV. New aspects of preventive endoscopic hemostasis in the treatment of peptic ulcer bleeding in the experimental condition. The EPMA Journal. 2017; 8(S1):45.
- Cherednikov EF, Barannikov SV, Zhdanov AI, Moshurov IP, Polubkova GV, Maleev YuV, Ovsyannikov ES, Myachina DS. Combimed Use of Biologically Active Hemostatic and Granulated Sorbent in Endoscopic Cytoprotective Hemostasis in Patients with Bleeding Gastroduodenal Ulcers. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(2):129-132. doi: 10.21103/Article10(2)_OA8
- Cherednikov EF, Glukhov AA, Romantsov MN, Maleev YuV, Barannikov SV, Shkurina IA, Vysotskaya AT, Ovsyannikov ES. Hemostatic Agents in Combination with Diovine for Local Treatment of Simulated Bleeding Gastric Ulcers. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(2):138-141. doi: 10.21103/Article10(2)_OA10
- Cherednikov EF, Kashurnikova MA, Romantsov MN, Barannikov SV, Bolkhovitinov A E, Gaponenkov DG, Lyubimov PYu. [Experimental study of new means of local hemostasis in the treatment of ulcerative bleeding]. Scientific and Medical Bulletin of the Central Chernozem Region. 2016;(65):27-33. [Article in Russian].
- Romantsov MN, Cherednikov E F, Danilenko VI, Stepanov DS, Fursov K O, Deryaeva AG. [Morphological Characteristics of Processes of Simulated Bleeding Gastric Defects Reparation in Treatment with Gelplastan and Diovin]. Journal of Anatomy and Histopathology. 2017;6(1):81-86. [Article in Russian].
- Gorbashko AI. Diagnostics and treatment of blood loss. Moscow: Meditsina. 1982:224. [In Russian].
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.