Carcinoma Gall Bladder: Past, Present, and Future
Punjab Institute of Medical Sciences; Jalandhar, India.
*Corresponding author: Yatin Ghosh Punjab Institute of Medical Sciences. Jalandhar, India. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: December 23, 2014.
Carcinoma gall bladder is a very aggressive disease with poor outcomes. Despite achievements in the field of advanced imaging techniques, there is a very high mortality rate of the disease Cancer is the second most common disease in India responsible for maximum mortality with about 0.3 million deaths per year. The magnitude of cancer problem in the Indian Sub-continent (sheer numbers) is increasing due to poor to moderate living standards and inadequate medical facilities. Women are more commonly affected than men. The peak incidence occurs in people in their 60s, but the disease age range is from 29 to 90 years of age and there is great geographic and ethnic variation. Carcinoma gall bladder, a disease of old age, is now found in the younger age group and presents with greater ferocity.
- Nanda Kumar A. Consolidated report of the population based cancer registries. National cancer Registry Programme. Indian Council of Medical research (1990-96); New Delhi, India.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. GLOBOCAN 2008 v2.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010. IARC Cancer Base No 10.
- Singh M K, Chetri K, Pandey U B, Mittal B, Kapoor VK, Choudhuri G.) Multinational spectrum of K-RASs oncogene among Indian patients with gall bladder cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004; 19:916-2.
- Indian council of Medical Research (1996) Annual report of population based cancer registries of the National programme (1993), ICMR, New Delhi.
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, Storm H, Ferlay J, Heanue M and Boyle P, editors. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. Vol IX. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2007. IARC Scientific Publication No 160.
- Shaffer EA. Gallbladder Cancer. The Basics. Gastroenterol Hepatol (NY) 2008; 4(10): 737-741.
- Chijiiwa K, Kimura H, Tanaka M. Malignant potential of the gallbladder in patients with anomalous pancreaticobiliary ductal junction. Int Surg 1995; 80: 61-64.
- Kang CM, Kim KS, Choi JS, Lee WJ, Kim BR. Gallbladder carcinoma associated with anomalous pancreaticobiliary duct junction. Can J Gastroenterol 2007; 21(6): 383-387.
- Tran H Giang, Tran TB Ngoc, Lewis A Hassell. Carcinoma involving the gallbladder: a retrospective review of 23 cases - pitfalls in diagnosis of gallbladder carcinoma. Diagn Pathol 2012, 7:10.
- Moerman CJ, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB. The epidemiology of gallbladder cancer: lifestyle related risk factors and limited surgical possibilities for prevention. Hepatogastroenterology 1999; 46: 1533–9.
- David L. Bartlett, Yuman Fong. Hepatobiliary Cancer. In Leslie H. Blumgart, Yuman Fong, William R. Jarnagin, editors. American Cancer Society. Atlas of Clinical Oncology. Hepatobilliary Cancer. B.C.Decker Inc. Hamilton• London; 2001:211-224.
- Kwon W, Jang JY, Lee SE, Hwang DW, Kim SW. Clinicopathologic features of polypoid lesions of the gall bladder and risk factors of gall bladder cancer. J Korean Med Sci 2009; 24:481-7.
- Lee SE, Jang JY, Lee JY, Choi DW, Cho BH, et al. Choledochal cyst and associated malignant tumors in adults: A multicentric survey in South Korea. Arch Surg 2011;146:1143-7.
- Tyagi BB, Manoharan N, Raina V. Risk factors for gallbladder cancer: a population based case-control study in Delhi. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2008; 29(1):16–26.
- Pandey M, Shukla VK. Diet and gallbladder cancer: a case control study. Eur J Cancer Prev 2002; 11(4):365–368.
- Gupta SK, Shukla VK. Gall bladder cancer. Etiopathology and Treatment. Health Administrator 2005; 17I (1):145-142.
- Redaelli C A, Buchler M W, Schilling MK, Krahenbuhl L, Ruchti C, Blumgart LH, et al. High coincidence of Mirizzi syndrome and gall bladder carcinoma. Surgery 1997; 121: 58–63.
- Aldridge M C, Bismuth H. Gall Bladder cancer: the polyp cancer sequence. Br J Surg 1990; 77: 363–4.
- D’Angelica M, Jarnagin WR. Tumors of the Gall Bladder. In L.H. Blumgart, editor. Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas. L.H. Blumgart. 4th edition, Saunders, Philadelphia; 2007:764-781.
- Shukla VK, Khandelwal C, Roy SK, Vaidya MP. Lipid peroxidation product in the bile from patients with carcinoma of the gall bladder: a preliminary study. J Surg Oncol 1994: 56:258-262.
- Mancuso TF, Brennan MJ. Epiddemiological considerations of cancer of the gall bladder, bile ducts and salivary glands in the rubber industry. J Occup Med 1970: 12:333-341.
- Albores-Saavedra J, Henson DE. Atlas of tumor pathology, second series fascicle 22: tumors of the gallbladder and extrahepatic bile ducts. 2nd ed. Bethesda (MD): Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; 1986: 28–123.
- Kumar S, Kumar S, Kumar S. Infection as a risk factor for gallbladder cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2006; 93: 633-639.
- Dutta U, Garg PK, Kumar R, Tandon RK. Typhoid carriers among patients with gallstones are at increased risk for carcinoma of the gallbladder. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95:784-7.
- Myers RP, Shaffer EA, Beck PL. Gallbladder polyps: epidemiology, natural history and management. Can J Gastroenterol 2002;16:187-194.
- Kubota K, Bandai Y, Noie T, Ishizaki Y, Teruya M, Makuuchi M. How should polypoid lesions of the gallbladder be treated in the era of laparoscopic cholecystectomy? Surgery 1995; 117:481-487.
- Wee A, Teh M, Raju GC. Clinical importance of p53 protein in gall bladder carcinoma and its precursor lesions. J Clin Pathol 1994; 47: 453–6.
- Imai M, Hoshi T, Ogawa K. K-RAS codon 12 mutations in biliary tract tumors detected by polymerase chain reaction denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Cancer 1994; 73: 2727–33.
- Yanagisawa N, Mikami T, Koike M, Okayasu I. Enhanced cell kinectics, p53 accumulation and high p21WAF1 expression in chronic cholecystitis: comparison with back ground mucosa of gall bladder carcinoma. Histopathology 2000; 36(1): 54-61.
- Huang SM, Chan SH, Mo LR, Hwang MH, Su WC. Significance of c-erbB-2 expression in normal and neoplastic epithelium of biliary tract. Anticancer Res 1995;15(3):1055-1059.
- Fujii K, Yasui W, Shimamoto F, Yokozaki H, Nakayama H, Kajiyama G, Tahara E. Immunohistochemical analysis of nm23 gene product in human gall bladder carcinomas. Virchows Arch 1995, 426(4): 355-9.
- Pandey SN, Srivastava A, Dixit M, Choudhuri G, Mittal B. Haplotype analysis of signal peptide (insertion/deletion) and XbaI polymorphisms of the APOB gene in gallbladder cancer. Liver Int 2007; 27(7):1008-15.
- Venniyoor A. Cholesterol gallstones and cancer of the gallbladder (CABG): molecular links. Med Hypotheses 2008; 70(3):646-653.
- Roslyn JJ, Pitt HA, Mann LL, Ament ME, Den Besten L. Gallbladder disease in patients on long-term parenteral nutrition. Gastroenterology 1983; 84(1):148-54.
- David L, Bartlett, Ramesh K, Ramanathan and EdgerBen, Josef. Cancer of the biliary tree. In DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 9th Edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011: 1019-1047.
- Boerma EJ. Towards an oncological resection of gall bladder cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 1994.20(5):537-544.
- Nevin JE, Moran TJ, Kay S, King R. Carcinoma of the gallbladder: staging, treatment, and prognosis. Cancer 1976; 37(1):141–8.
- Onoyama H, Yamamoto M, Tseng A, Ajiki T, Saitoh Y. Extended cholecystectomy for carcinoma of the gallbladder. World J Surg 1995; 19(5):758–63.
- Gallbladder. In: Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, editors. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York, NY: Springer; 2010:211-7.
- de Aretxabala X, Roa I, Burgos L, Losada H, Roa JC, Mora J, et al. Gallbladder cancer: an analysis of a series of 139 patients with invasion restricted to the subserosal layer. J Gastrointest Surg 2006; 10(2):186-92.
- Wibbenmeyer LA, Sharafuddin MJ, Wolverson MK, Heiberg EV, Wade TP, Shields JB. et al. Sonographic diagnosis of unsuspected gallbladder cancer: imaging findings in comparison with benign gallbladder conditions. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1995; 165(5):1169–74.
- Misra S, Chaturvedi A, Misra NC, Sharma ID.Sharma. Carcinoma of the gallbladder. Lancet Oncol 2003; 4(3):167–76.
- Strom BL, Maislin G, West SL, Atkinson B, Herlyn M, Saul S, et al. Serum CEA and CA 19-9: potential future diagnostic or screening tests for gallbladder cancer? Int J Cancer 1990; 45(5):821–4.
- Ritts RE, Jr, Nagorney DM, Jacobsen DJ, Talbot RW, Zurawski VR Jr. Comparison of preoperative serum CA19-9 levels with results of diagnostic imaging modalities in patients undergoing laparotomy for suspected pancreatic or gallbladder disease. Pancreas 1994; 9(6):707–16.
- Kaufman M, Mehrotra B, Limaye S, White S, Fuchs A, Lebowicz Y, et al. EGFR Expression in gallbladder carcinoma in North America. Int J Med Sci 2008 5(5):285-91.
- Chijiiwa K, Sumiyoshi K, Nakayama F. Impact of recent advances in hepatobiliary imaging techniques on the preoperative diagnosis of carcinoma of the gallbladder. World J Surg 1991, 15(3):332-337.
- Bergdahl I. Gallbladder carcinoma first diagnosed at microscopic examination of gallbladders removed for presumed benign disease. Ann Surg 1980; 191(1):19-22.
- Gall FP, Kockerling F, Scheele J, Schneider C, Hobenberger W. Radical operations for carcinoma of the gallbladder: present status in Germany. World J Surg 1991; 15(3): 328-36.
- Donohue JM, Nagorney DM, Grant CS, Tsushima K, Ilstrup DM, Adson MA. Carcinoma of the gallbladder. Does radical resection improve outcome Arch Surg 1990; 125(2):237-41.
- Nakamura S, Sakaguchi S, Suzuki S, Muro H. Aggressive surgery for carcinoma of gallbladder. Surgery 1989; 106(3):467-73.
- Ogura Y, Mizumoto R, Isoji S, Kusuda T, Matsuda S, Tabata M. Radical operations for carcinoma of the gallbladder: present status in Japan. World J Surg 1991; 15(3):337-43.
- Baxter I, Garden OJ. Surgical palliation of carcinoma of the gallbladder. Hepatogastroenterology 1999; 46(27):1572-7.
- Ouchi K, Owada Y, Matsumo S, Sato T. Prognostic factors in the surgical treatment of gallbladder carcinoma. Surgery 1987; 101(6): 731-7.
- Otero JC, Proske A, Vallilengua C, Luján M, Poletto L, Pezzotto SM, et al. Gallbladder cancer: surgical results after cholecystectomy in 25 patients with lamina propria invasion and 26 patients with muscular layer invasion. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 2006; 13(6):562-6.
- Pawlik TM, Gleisner AL, Vigano L, Kooby DA, Bauer TW, Frilling A, et al. Incidence of finding residual disease for incidental gallbladder carcinoma: implications for re-resection .J Gastrointest Surg 2007; 11(11): 1478-86.
- D'Angelica M, Dalal KM, DeMatteo RP, Fong Y, Blumgart LH, Jarnagin WR. Analysis of the extent of resection for adenocarcinoma of the gallbladder. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16 (4):806-16.
- Ben-David MA, Griffith KA, Abu-Isa E, Lawrence TS, Knol J, Zalupski M, et al. External-beam radiotherapy for localized extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Bioi Phys 2006; 66(3):772-9.
- Wang SJ, Fuller CD, Kim JS, Sittig DF, Thomas CR Jr, Ravdin PM. Prediction model for estimating the survival benefit of adjuvant radiotherapy for gallbladder cancer. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26 (13): 2112-7.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(4):198-203. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.