The Epistemology of Wrinkles: From Geology and Anatomy to Physiology
School of Medicine, University of Queensland; Faculty of Surgery, University of Auckland; Auckland University of Technology; New Zealand
*Corresponding author: Dr. Sharad P. Paul. Senior Lecturer, School of Medicine, University of Queensland; Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Surgery, University of Auckland; Adjunct Professor, Auckland University of Technology. E-mail:email@example.com
Published: September 12, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(3)_PV1
The author studies the geometry and physics of wrinkling – drawing from geology and animal biology. The general principles behind tension and compression wrinkles are the same in geology or dermatology. But what is the structure in the subcutaneous tissue that marks every overlying wrinkle? Given we now know wrinkles have both anatomical and pathological correlations considering wrinkles as pure anatomic lines is fallacious and the article offers a unique perspective of skin creases and also avenues for further research.
1. Cerda E, Mahadevan L. Geometry and physics of wrinkling. Phys Rev Lett. 2003;90 (7):074302
2. Rose EH, Ksander VA, Vistnes LM. Skin tension lines in the domestic pig. Plastic Reconstr Surg. 1976;57(6):729-32
3. Nomura Y, Ota M, Tochimaru H. Self-healing congenital generalized skin creases: Michelin tire baby syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;63(6):1110-1
4. Berg, RR. Mountain flank thrusting in Rocky Mountain foreland, Wyoming and Colorado: AAPG Bulletin. 1962; 46:2019-2032
5. Parkar Gay Jr. S. New Advancements in Understanding the Formation of Anticlines. 15 July 2012 http://www.appliedgeophysics.com/images/understanding-anticlines.pdf accessed I August, (2016)
6. Pessa JE, Nguyen H, John GB, Scherer PE. The anatomical basis for wrinkles. Aesthet Surg J. 2014; 34(2):227-34.
7. Paul SP, Matulich J, Charlton N. A New Skin Tensiometer Device: Computational Analyses To Understand Biodynamic Excisional Skin Tension Lines. Sci Rep.2016; 6:30117
8. Makrantonaki E, Bekou V, Zouboulis CC. Genetics and skin aging. Dermatoendocrinol. 2012;4(3):280–4.
9. Kajiya K, Kunstfeld R, Detmar M, Chung JH. Reduction of lymphatic vessels in photodamaged human skin. J Dermatol Sci. 2007;47(3):241-3.
10. Lener T, Moll PR, Rinnerthaler M, Bauer J, Aberger F, Richter K. Expression profiling of aging in the human skin. Exp Gerontol. 2006; 41(4):387-97
11. Christoffersen M, Frikke-Schmidt R, Schnohr P, Jensen GB, Nordestgaard BG, Tybjærg-Hansen A. Visible age-related signs and risk of ischemic heart disease in the general population: a prospective cohort study. Circulation. 2014; 129(9):990-8
12. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. "Why Shar Pei Dogs Have So Many Wrinkles." ScienceDaily. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081111163123.htm (accessed September 8, 2016).
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016;6(3):237-239. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.