International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):292-296.
Originally published December 15, 2019
The aim of this research was to study the concentration of lipid peroxidation (LPO) products and the activity of antioxidant defense (AOD) parameters in ISIAH rats in comparison with a group of adolescents with arterial hypertension (AH).
Material and MethodsWe conducted the study on young (2.5-3 months) sexually mature male rats of the normotensive line (WAG) (n=20) (intact animals) and hypertensive line (ISIAH) (n=20), weighing 200-220g. The data of 65 adolescents aged 13-17 years with AH (Group 1) were used for the clinical study (the age of adolescents is comparable to the biological age of the experimental animals used). The comparison group consisted of 65 normotensive adolescents of the same age and sex ("copy-pair" type) (Group 2). The plasma level of antioxidant parameters (total antioxidant activity [TTA], SOD activity, α-tocopherol and retinol) and primary/secondary products of LPO (conjugated dienes [CD], ketodienes and conjugated trienes [KD-CT], and thiobarbituric acid reactants [TBARs]) were determined using spectrophotometric and fluorometric methods.
Results:We found that the course of LPO reactions in animals and humans was similar, which was expressed by the activation of prooxidant factors and the insufficiency of antioxidant response. Species differences concerned the intensity and number of parameters involved in the pathological process. Thus, in ISIAH rats there was an increase in toxic TBA-active products and a decrease in TTA, α-tocopherol and retinol in comparison with normotensive animals; in AH adolescents there was an increase in the content of intermediate–KD-CT and final TBA-active products, and a decrease in the α-tocopherol level in relation to the comparison group.
Conclusion:Features of response of the LPO nonspecific system in hypertensive rats and humans allow using this line of rats for further study of adaptive mechanisms, and to extrapolate the received experimental data on humans, taking into account certain specific distinctions.
- Badin YV, Fomin IV, Belenkov YN, Mareev VY, Ageev FT, Polyakov DS, et al. EPOCHA-AH 1998–2017. Dynamics of prevalence, awareness of arterial hypertension, treatment coverage, and effective control of blood pressure in the European part of the Russian Federation. Kardiologiia. 2019 Jan 31;59(1S):34-42. doi: 10.18087/cardio.2445. [Article in Russian]
- Kosovtseva AS, Bairova ТА, Rychkova LV, Polyakov VM, Kolesnikova LI.
Prognostic risk models for the development of cardiovascular dysfunction in adolescents with essential hypertension. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2019;166(4):494-496. doi: 10.1007/s10517-019-04380-9.
- Alexandrov AA, Zvolinskaya EYu, Pugoeva HS, Ivanova EI. [Thirty-two-year dynamics and prognostic significance of baseline blood pressure levels in adolescent boys]. Cardiovascular Therapy and Prevention. 2017;16(5):63-71. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LR, Darenskaya MA, Rychkova LV, Pogodina AV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikov SI, et al. Oxidative stress parameters and state of regional periodontal blood flow in adolescents with arterial hypertension and periodontal diseases. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(4):301-305.
- Dysregulatory pathology: Guideline for physicians and biologists. M.:Medicine; 2002. [Textbook in Russian].
- Volkov VS, Tofilo AP. Etiological and pathogenetic factors of primary arterial hypertension. Cardiovascular Therapy and Prevention. 2018;9(7):105-111. [Article in Russian].
- Hochachka P, Somero J. Biochemical adaptation. Moscow:Mir; 1988. [Textbook in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI. [Free radical oxidation: a pathophysiologist's view]. Bulletin of Siberian Medicine. 2017;16(4):16-29. [Article in Russian].
- Ershova OA, Bairova TA, Kolesnikov SI, Kalyuzhnaya OV, Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress and catalase gene. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2016 Jul;161(3):400-3. doi: 10.1007/s10517-016-3424-0.
- Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI.
Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense parameters in different diseases: ethnic aspects. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2018;120(S1):60.
- Sies H. Oxidative stress: a concept in redox biology and medicine. Redox Biology. 2015;4:180-183.
- Kolesnikova LI, Rychkova LV, Kolesnikova LR, Darenskaya MA, Natyaganova LV, Grebenkina LA, et al. Сoupling of lipoperoxidation reactions with changes in arterial blood pressure in hypertensive ISIAH rats under conditions of chronic stress. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2018 Apr;164(6):712-715. doi: 10.1007/s10517-018-4064-3.
- Tsiropoulou S, Dulak-Lis M, Montezano AC, Touyz КM. Biomarkers of oxidative stress in human hypertension. Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease. Springer, Cham; 2016;151-170.
- Tseilikman VE, Tseilikman OB, Sinitsky AI, Lavin EA, Lapteva IA, Gornostaeva AB, et al. [Biochemical strategies of adaptation in chronic stress conditions]. Bulletin of the South Ural State University. 2008;4:56-57. [Article in Russian].
- Lebed ML, Bocharov SN. [Determining the type of adaptation strategy as a way to assess the effectiveness of intensive care]. Acta Biomedica Scientifica. 2013;5.(93):49-52. [Article in Russian].
- Montezano AC, Dulak-Lis M, Tsiropoulou S, Touyz КM. Oxidative stress and human hypertension: vascular mechanisms, biomarkers, and novel therapies. Can J Cardiol. 2015 May;31(5):631-41. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2015.02.008.
- ISIAH RATS Database http://sites.icgbio.ru/isiah/en/
- Kamyshnikov VS. Handbook of clinical and biochemical studies and laboratory diagnostics. 3rd ed. M.: MEDpress-inform; 2009. [Textbook in Russian].
- Kovshik GG, Khrapova MV, Dushkin MI. Features of lipid and glucose metabolism of hypertensive of HSIH rat line. Bulletin of SB RAMS. 2013;33(3):5-11.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Nikitina OA, Lazareva LM, et al. Activity of LPO processes in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome and infertility. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017;162(3):320-322. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3605-5.
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Semenova NV, Grebenkina LA, Suturina LV, Dolgikh MI et al. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protection in girls with type 1 diabetes mellitus during reproductive system development. Medicina (Lithuania). 2015;51(2):107-111.
- Bastrikov OYu. [Hormonal, immunological and psychological markers of psycho-emotional tension in patients with arterial hypertension]. Arterial'naya Gipertenziya. 2018;24(2):151-161. [Article in Russian].
- Antonov EV, Moreva TA, Cherkasova OP, Gilinsky MA., Markel AL, Yakobson GS, et al. [Studying the secretory activity of the adrenal cortex in hypertensive rats of the ISIAH line]. Siberian Scientific Medical Journal. 2010;30(4):68-75. [Article in Russian].
- Bairova TA, Kolesnikov SI, Kolesnikova LI, Pervushina OA, Darenskaya M.A, Grebenkina LA. Lipid peroxidation and mitochondrial superoxide dismutase-2 gene in adolescents with essential hypertension. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2014 Dec;158(2):181-4. doi: 10.1007/s10517-014-2717-4.
- Atkinson J, Harroun T, Wassall SR, Stillwell W, Katsaras J. The location and behavior of α-tocopherol in membranes. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. 2010;54(5):641-651.
- Kolesnikova LI, Darenskaya MA, Grebenkina LA, Dolgikh MI, Astakhova TA, Semenova NV. [Gender differences in parameters of lipid metabolism and of level of antioxidants in groups of juveniles-the Even and the Europeans]. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol. 2014;50(1):31-7. [Article in Russian].
- Magdalena A, Pop PA. The role of antioxidants in the chemistry of oxidative stress: A review. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2015;97(5):55-74.
Received October 26, 2019.
Accepted November 23, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.