International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):313-319.
Originally published December 15, 2019
The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between the morpho-functional features of placentas from preterm births (PBs) with the results of bacteriological examination of the discharge from the cervical canal in women with spontaneous preterm birth (SPB).
The study included 227 pregnant women at gestational age between 28 and 36 weeks and 6 days, who underwent examination in the period from 2017 to 2018. Depending on the gestational age, they were divided into 3 groups. In general, a strong relationship was found between the presence of pathological changes in placentas and the presence of opportunistic flora in women (R=0.722, P<0.001). The constructed mathematical models make it possible to determine, with a high degree of certainty, the main bacteria for all the studied groups of pregnant women, thereby identifying the risk group of women at the stage of pregnancy planning, predicting complications and increasing the possibility of deliver a full term baby.
- Morgan TK. Role of the Placenta in Preterm Birth: A Review. Am J Perinatol. 2016;33(3):258-66. doi: 10.1055/s-0035-1570379.
- Feist H, von Kaisenberg C, Hussein K. [Pathoanatomical and clinical aspects of the placenta in preterm birth]. Pathologe. 2017;38(4):248-259. doi: 10.1007/s00292-016-0156-x. [Article in German]
- World Health Organization. Preterm Birth, Fact Sheet. 19 February 2018. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/preterm-birth .
- Liu L, Oza S, Hogan D, Chu Y, Perin J, Zhu J, et al. Global, regional, and national causes of under-5 mortality in 2000-15: an updated systematic analysis with implications for the Sustainable Development Goals. Lancet. 2016;388(10063):3027-3035. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31593-8.
- Alexander JM, Gilstrap LC, Cox SM, McIntire DM, Leveno KJ. Clinical chorioamnionitis and the prognosis for very low birth weight infants. Obstet Gynecol. 1998;91(5 Pt 1):725-9.
- Romero R, Espinoza J, Gonçalves LF, Kusanovic JP, Friel L, Hassan S. The role of inflammation and infection in preterm birth. Semin Reprod Med. 2007;25(1):21-39.
- Goldenberg RL, Andrews WW, Goepfert AR, Faye-Petersen O, Cliver SP, Carlo WA, Hauth JC. The Alabama Preterm Birth Study: umbilical cord blood Ureaplasma urealyticum and Mycoplasma hominis cultures in very preterm newborn infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;198(1):43.e1-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2007.07.033.
- Orazmuradov AA, Kostin IN, Apresyan SV, Parygina AN, Gavrilova AA, Arakelyan GA, et al. The Results of Microbiological Investigations into Preterm Labor. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):144-149.
- Doyle RM, Harris K, Kamiza S, Harjunmaa U, Ashorn U, Nkhoma M, et al. Bacterial communities found in placental tissues are associated with severe chorioamnionitis and adverse birth outcomes. PLoS One. 2017:12(7): e0180167. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0180167
- Nedoseykina MS, Mishin AV, Baranovskaya EI. Features of the morphological structure of placentas from women with preterm birth. Problemy zdorov'ya i ekologii. 2012;4 (34):79-83.
- Milovanov AP. Pathology of the mother-placenta-fetus system. M.:Meditsina, 1999.
Received October 1, 2019.
Accepted November 11, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.