International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):320-323.
Originally published December 15, 2019
The aim of the study was to present somatotypological characteristics of women (age 36-74 years) of Yakut ethnicity with T2D.
Materials and Methods:The examined women with diagnosed T2D belonged to the age group of 36-55 years (n=24) and the group of 56-74 years (n=64). The comparison group (n=826) consisted of women of the same age periods who were not suffering from T2D. All examined women were born and permanently resided in Yakutia. Anthropometric examination, bioelectrical impedance analysis and the somatotypological method of examination were performed.
Results:Thus, the results indicate a significant predominance of overweight and obesity in Yakut women with T2D. Somatotypological analysis by the Rees-Eysenck body index, the Tanner scale and the Heath–Carter method also revealed a number of features. In the group of women with T2D, we found that individuals with andromorphic body type (according to sexual dimorphism index) and mesoectomorphic body type (according to the Heath–Carter index) were prevalent and that the proportion of individuals with asthenic somatotype, according to the Rees-Eysenck body index, was smaller. Identification of marked body types in the female population of Yakutia can serve as an additional prognostic criterion in a complex of studies aimed at the early detection of T2D.
- WHO. Diabetes. Fact sheet. 30 October 2018. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/diabetes
- Dedov II, Shestakova MV, Vikulova OK. [Epidemiology of diabetes mellitus in Russian Federation: clinical and statistical report according to the federal diabetes registry]. Diabetes mellitus. 2017;20(1):13-41. doi: 10.14341/DM8664. [Article in Russian].
- Afanasyev KE, Borisova EA. [Economic losses from diabetes: the true extent of the problem in modern conditions]. Trends in the development of science and education. 2017;25(3):28-30. [Article in Russian].
- Nikityuk DB. [The level of functional reserves of the human body and morpho-psycho-functional relationships]. Russian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2017;4: 3-14. [Article in Russian].
- Koinosov PG, Thiryateva TV, Orlov SA, Koinosov AP, Putina NY, Stogniy OM, et al. [Prospects for the development of clinical anthropology].
Meditsinskaya nauka i obrazovanie Urala. 2015;16(1):153-156. [Article in Russian].
- Bunak VV. Anthropometry: a practical course. M.: State Educational and pedagogical Publishing House of the Ministry of Education of the RSFSR;1941. [In Russian].
- Maternal anthropometry for prediction of pregnancy outcomes: memorandum from a USAID/WHO/PAHO/Mother Care meeting. Bull. Word Health Organ. 1991; 69(5): 523-532.
- Romanova AN, Voevoda MI. Metabolic syndrome and coronary atherosclerosis in residents of Yakutia: ethnic and gender characteristics. Novosibirsk: Nauka; 2016. [In Russian].
- Khrisanfova EN, Perevozchikova IW. Anthropology. Moscow: Naula; 2005. [In Russian].
- Rees WL, Eisenck H. A factorial study of some morphological aspects of human constitution. J. Mental Sci. 1945;91:219–232.
- Tanner JM. The growth and constitution of man. Human biology: Transl. From English. Moscow; 1968:247-326.
- Rudnev SG, Soboleva, NP, Sterlikov SA, Nikolaev DV, Starunova OA, Chernykh SP, et al. Bioimpedance study of body composition in the Russian population. M.: RIO TSNIIOIZ, 2014. [In Russian].
- Kolesnikov VA, Rudnev SG, Nikolaev DV, Anisimova AV, Godina EZ. [On a new protocol of the Heath-Carter somatotype assessment using software for body composition bioimpedance analyzer]. Moscow University Anthropology Bulletin (Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta. Seria XXIII. Antropologia). 2016; 4: 4-13. [Article in Russian].
- Nikоlаеv DV, Rudnеv SG. [Bioimpedance analysis: basis of method, record of inquiry and interpretation of measurements]. Sports medicine: research and practice. 2012;2:29-36. [Article in Russian].
- Gureva AB, Nikolaev VG, Alekseeva VA. [Ethno-age features of the physical status of the female population of the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia)]. Modern problems of science and education. 2018;4:181. [Article in Russian].
- Nikolaev VG, Medvedev NN, Nikolenko VN, Petrova MM, Sindeeva LV, Nikolaev NN, and others. Essays on integrative anthropology: a monograph. Krasnoyarsk: Krasnoyarsk State Medical University; 2015. [In Russian].
Received July 10, 2019.
Accepted October 21, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.