¹Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry and Petrochemistry, NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
²Institute of Food Biotechnology and Genomics, NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
³National Enterprise Interdepartmental Science and Technology Center "Agrobiotech", NAS of Ukraine and MESS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
"Institute of Cell Biology and Genetic Engineering, NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
*Corresponding author: Victoria А. Tsygankova, PhD. Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry and Petrochemistry, NAS of Ukraine. Kyiv, Ukraine. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: June 25, 2013
Experiments were conducted to study the benefit of using the new plant growth regulators (PGRs) Ivin, Emistim, Biolan and Charkor in nutrient medium ½ MS for intensification of biomass growth and the increased synthesis of polyfructan (PF) in the cultures of chicory “hairy roots” (Cichorium intybus L.), obtained by Аgrobacterium rhizogenes-mediated transformation,. The best indexes of increased specific quantities of PF are observed after using Biolan at a concentration of 5.0 μL/L (up to 130 mg/g dry mass of roots) and Emistim at a concentration 2.5 µL/L (up to 220 mg/g dry mass of roots). The greatest stimulation of root growth activity was expressed on using the growth regulators Emistim, Ivin and Charkor, in concentrations between 2.5 and 10.0 µL/L, considerably raising the total quantity of PF: compared with the control the use of regulator Emistim showed a rise of up to 35 times, regulator Ivin showed an increase of up to 28 times and regulator Charkor showed an increase up to 7.0-7.5 times. The results thus obtained definitely prove the benefit of applying these regulators to increase the biomass growth and PF synthesis in the culture of chicory «hairy roots».
- Butenko RG. Cultures of isolated tissues and physiology of plant morphogenesis. Moscow: Science, 1964. [Book in Russian].
- Gamburg KZ, Kulayeva ON, Muromtsev GS, Prusakova LD, Chkanikov D.I. Plant growth regulators. Moscow: Kolos, 1979. [Book in Russian].
- Kalinin FL. Application of growth regulators in agriculture. Kyiv: Urozhay, 1989. [Book in Russian].
- Dorffling K. Das Hormonsystem der pflanzen. Stuttgard: Springer, 1982. [Book in German].
- Kunakh V.A. Biotechnology of medical plants. Genetic and physiological-biochemical principles. Kyiv: Logos, 2005. [Book in Ukrainian].
- Kuchuk N.V. Genetic engineering of higher plants. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, 1997. [Book in Russian].
- Melnychuk M.D., Novak T.V., Kunakh V.A. Plant Biotechnology. Kyiv: PolygraphConsulting, 2003. [Book in Ukrainian].
- Hutchinson MJ, Saxena PK. Role of purine metabolism in thidiazuron-induced somatic embryogenesis of geranium (Pelargonium hortorum Bailey) hypocotyl cultures. Physiol Plant 1996; 98:517-22.
- Murthy BNS, Murch SJ, Saxena PK. Thidiazuron-induced somatic embryogenesis in intact seedlings of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.): endogenous growth regulator levels and significance of cotyledons. Physiol Plant 1995; 94:268-76.
- Victor JMR, Murthy BNS, Murch SJ, KrishnaRaj S, Saxena PK. Role of endogenous purine metabolism in thidiazuron-induced somatic embryogenesis of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Plant Growth Regul 1999; 28:41-7.
- Victor JMR, Murch SJ, KrishnaRaj S, Saxena PK. Somatic embryogenesis and organogenesis in peanut: the role of thidiazuron and N6-benzylaminopurine in the induction of plant morphogenesis. Plant Growth Regul 1999; 28(1): 9 -15.
- Ruichi Pan, Xingshan Tian. Comparative effect of IBA, BSAA and 5,6-Cl2-IAA-Me on the rooting of hypocotyl in mung bean. Plant Growth Regul 1999; 27(2):91-8.
- Kukhar VP, Karabanov YuV, Pavlenko AF, Petrenko VS, Yershova VL, Zhukova PS, Bakutina NA, Borisenko VP. A new growth regulator – Ivin. Physiologically active compounds /Ed. by M.O. Lozinskiy. Naukova Dumka 1986; 18:3–14. [Article in Russian].
- Tsygankova VA, YaB. Blume. Screening and peculiarity of the biological action of synthetic plant growth regulators. Biopolymers and cell 1997; 13(6):484-92.
- Tsygankova VA, Zayets VN, Galkina LA, Galkin AP, Blume YaB. The phytohormone-mediated action of the synthetic regulators on cell extension growth in higher plants. Biopolymers and cell. 1999; 15(5):432-41.
- Tsygankova VA, Galkin AP, Galkina LA, Ponomarenko S.P. Gene expression under regulators’ stimulation of plant growth and development. New plant growth regulators: basic research and technologies of application. Ed. by S. P. Ponomarenko, H. O. Iutynska. Kyiv: Nichlava, 2011. P. 94 – 152.
- Tsygankova VA, Ponomarenko SP, Galkin AP, Eakin D. Gene expression under regulators’ stimulation of plant growth and development. Bioregulation of Microbial-Plant Systems. Ed. by S. P. Ponomarenko, H. O. Iutynska. Kyiv: Nichlava, 2010. P. 291 – 331. [Book in Russian].
- Ponomarenko S.P. Plant growth regulators. InterTekhnoDruk, Kiev. 2003. [Book in Russian].
- Matvieieva N.A. Fructans, biosynthesis in the nature and in transgenic plants. Вull Vavilov Soc Genet. Breed Ukr 2010; 8(2):312-19. [Article in Ukrainian].
- Methods in carbohydrate chemistry. Ed. by Kochetkov N.A. Moscow: Mir, 1967. [Book in Russian].
- Matvieieva N.A, Kvasko O.Yu. Features of polyfructans accumulation in transgenic plants of chicory Cichorium intybus L. Вull Vavilov Soc Genet Breed Ukr 2011; 9 (1): 65-9. [Article in Ukrainian].
- Matvieieva NA, Kishchenko OM, Shakhovsky AM, Kuchuk MV. Synthesis of inulin by the chicory “hairy roots” transformed with Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Biotechnology (Ukr., Kyiv) 2011; 4(3):56-63. [Article in Ukrainian].
- Baert JR, Bockstaele EL. Cultivation and breeding of chicory root for inulin production. Industr Crops Prod 1992; 1(2–4): 229 – 234.
- Murashige T, Skoog F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassay with tobacco tissue culture. Phys Plant 1962; 15(3):473–97.
- Yermakov AI. Methods of biochemical plant investigation (3rd Ed.). Leningrad, Agropromizdat, 1987. [Book in Russian].
- Statistical Methods in Biology. Ed. by Norman T.J. Bailey (3rd Ed.), Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- The Analysis of Biological Data. Ed. by Whitlock Michael and Schluter Dolph, Roberts and Company Publishers, 2008.
- Tsygankova VA, Musatenko LI, Ponomarenko SP, Galkin AP. Change of functionally active cytoplasmical mRNA populations in plant cells under growth regulators effect and biological perspectives of cell-free systems of protein synthesis. Biotechnology (Ukr., Kyiv) 2010; 3(2):19-32. [Article in Russian].
- Tsygankova VA, Ponomarenko SP, Galkin AP. The peculiarity of gene expression changes in plant cells under effect of exogenous growth regulators. In Plant physiology: The problems and perspectives of development. Ed. by Morgun V.V. Kyiv: Logos, 2009. [Book in Ukrainian].
- Tsygankova VA. Concerning the peculiarities of gene expression changes in plant leaf cells during twenty-four-hour period. Biotechnology (Ukr., Kyiv) 2010; 3(4):86-95.
- Romaniuk N, Troyan V, Musiyaka V. Investigation of growth regulation activity of Emistym, the new perspective plant growth regulator: Abstracts of the 2nd Сonference “Progress in plant sciences from Plant Breeding to growth Regulation”/ Mosonmagyaróvár (Hungary) and Bergholz-Rehbrücke (Germany), 1998. P. 75.
- Michalczuk L, Cooke TJ, Cochen JD. Auxin levels at different stages of carrot embryogenesis. Phytochemistry1992; 31:1097-103.
- Michalczuk L, Ribnicky DM, Cooke TJ. Regulation of indole-3-acetic acid biosynthetic pathways in carrot cell cultures. Plant Physiology 1992; 100:1346-553. [Aricle in Russian].
- Terek O, Romaniuk KN, Terec K. Endogenous phytohormones of plants treated by growth regulators / Abstracts of the 2nd Сonference “Progress in plant sciences from Plant Breeding to growth Regulation”. Mosonmagyaróvár (Hungary) and Bergholz-Rehbrücke (Germany), 1998. P. 64.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2013; 3(2):139-144. © 2013 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.