¹Altai State Medical University, Barnaul
²Novosibirsk State Medical University, Novosibirsk, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Assoc. Prof. Yuliya S. Kondratyeva, PhD; Department of Skin and Venereal Diseases, Altai State Medical University; 62B, Molodezhnaya st., apt. #48, Barnaul, Altai Krai, Russian Federation. Tel: 7-903-9963341. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: September 24, 2013
The objective of this study was the investigation of the influence of ureaplasmal infection on the development of urethral meatus polyps in women. The article presents the results of the examination of women with chronic cystitis and urethritis over a 0.5- to 5-year duration, complicated by the presence of urethral meatus polyps and associated with concomitant Ureaplasma urealyticum and other sexually transmitted infections (STI). This was based on the culture analysis of the cervical and urethral content, and PCR-diagnostics of STI, as well as a complex pathomorphologic study of the resected polyps, including electron microscopy. In this study, 98 women between 45 and 60 years (52.5±4.9 years) were examined, who had undergone radiowave resection of the polyps: 52 women were infected by STI, including Ureaplasma urealyticum, Mycoplasma genitalium, Mycoplasma hominis, Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonas vaginalis, while the remaining 46 women had been diagnosed as not having STI. According to the culture results in the women with STI, U. urealyticum was identified as a monoinfection in 69% of cases, while in the remaining 31% of cases it was evident in the form of mixed infections, mainly in association with Mycoplasma hominis (17.5%) and Trichomonas vaginalis (13.5%). Pathomorphological examination of the urethral meatus polyps of the women with U. urealyticum and other STI demonstrated the proliferative character of the remodeling of the surface epithelium with hyperplasia, acanthosis, and keratinization of the stratified squamous epithelium and synchronous changes in the underlying connective tissue - impaired microcirculation and the diffuse inflammatory cell infiltrates with transepithelial leukopedesis. Using electron microscopy in the fibroblasts and plasma cells of the resected polyps the markers of U. urealyticum were detected in patients with negative results of the bacteriological diagnostic methods.
- Congregado Ruiz B, Campoy Martínez P, Luque Barona R, García Ramos JB, Pérez Pérez M, Soltero González A. Fibroepithelial polip of the urethra in a young woman. Actas Urol Esp 2001; 25(5):377-9. [Article in Spanish]
- Allam AB, Alvarez S, Brown MB, Reyes L. Ureaplasma parvum infection alters filamin A dynamics in host cells. BMC Infect Dis 2011; 11:101.
- Giannakopoulos S, Alivizatos G, Deliveliotis C, Skolarikos A, Kastriotis J, Sofras F. Encrusted cystitis and pyelitis. Eur Urol 2001; 39(4):446-8.
- Taylor-Robinson D, Csonka GW, Prentice MJ. Human intra-urethral inoculation of ureaplasmas. Q J Med 1977; 46(183):309-26.
- Skerk V, Mareković I, Markovinović L, Begovac J, Skerk V, Barsić N, et al. Comparative randomized pilot study of azithromycin and doxycycline efficacy and tolerability in the treatment of prostate infection caused by Ureaplasma urealyticum. Chemotherapy 2006; 52(1):9-11.
- Hedelin H. Uropathogens and urinary tract concretion formation and catheter encrustations. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2002; 19(6):484-7.
- Waites KB, Atkinson TP. The role of Mycoplasma in upper respiratory infections. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2009; 11(3):198-206.
- Yi J, Yoon BH, Kim EC. Detection and biovar discrimination of Ureaplasma urealyticum by real-time PCR. Mol Cell Probes 2005; 19(4):255-60.
- Lee JS, Kim KT, Lee HS, Yang KM, Seo JT, Choe JH. Concordance of Ureaplasma urealyticum and Mycoplasma hominis in infertile couples: impact on semen parameters. Urology 2013; 81(6):1219-24.
- Volgmann T, Ohlinger R, Panzig B. Ureaplasma urealyticum-harmless commensal or underestimated enemy of human reproduction? A review. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2005; 273(3):133-9.
- Taylor-Robinson D, Furr PM. Observations on experimental colonisation of mice by ureaplasmas of human origin. J Med Microbiol 2002; 51(10):866-70.
- Sarkisov DS, Perov YL. Microscopic techniques. Moscow, 1996. [Book in Russian].
- De Silva NS, Quinn PA. Localization of endogenous activity of phospholipases A and C in Ureaplasma urealiticum. J Clin Microbiol 1991; 29(7):1498-503.
- Marques LM, Ueno PM, Buzinhani M, Cortez BA, Neto RL, Yamaguti M, et al. Invasion of Ureaplasma diversum in Hep-2 cells. BMC Microbiol 2010; 10:83.
- Sivick KE, Mobley HL. Waging war against uropathogenic Escherichia coli: winning back the urinary tract. Infect Immun 2010; 78(2):568-85.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2013; 3(3):170-173. © 2013 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.