Far Eastern Scientific Center of Physiology and Pathology of Respiration, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences Blagoveshchensk, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Prof. Michael T. Lucenko, PhD, ScD, Academician of RAMS, Head of Far Eastern Scientific Center of Physiology and Pathology of Respiration SB of RAMS, 95A, Gorky str., 675000, Blagoveshchensk, Russian Federation E-mail: Lucencomt@mail.ru
In this study, the transport of the long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFAs) from the lacunar blood through the syncytiotrophoblast of the placental villous to the fetal cord blood via a saturable protein-mediated mechanism by the heart-type fatty acid-binding proteins (H-FABPs) has been examined. Exacerbation of the herpes simplex viruses (HSV-1) in the third trimester of gestation reduces the delivery of the fatty acid-binding proteins to the syncytiotrophoblast. During exacerbation of the HSV-1 infection, the selective transfer of the LCPUFAs across the syncytiotrophoblast basal plasma membrane into the fetal cord blood was observed. The supply of anti-inflammatory ω-3 PUFAs was reduced; however, the inflow of inflammatory arachidonic acid and other ω-6 PUFAs into the fetal blood was increased.
- Antonov VK, Alexandrov SY. Bioorganic chemistry. M.: Medicine, 1977. [in Russian].
- Barsukov AI. Results of science and technology. Issue Biophysics 1979; 11: 189-230. [in Russian].
- Kotyk A, Janacek K. Membrane transport. M., 1980. [in Russian].
- Lilly R. Histopathological techniques and practical histochemistry. Translated from English into Russian by VV Portugalova. M.: Mir 1969. [in Russian].
- Nicholskiy NN, Troshin AS. Transport of sugars across cell membranes. L., 1973. [in Russian].
- Titov VN. State of the lipid transport system in normal and its correction in certain lipid disorders. Abstract of PhD Thesis, 2004. [in Russian].
- Titov VN. C-reactive protein-transfer vector of fatty acids to the cells that are directly implementing systemic inflammatory syndrome. Clinical laboratory diagnostics 2008; 5: 21-36. [in Russian].
- Edidin M. Lipids on the frontier: a century of cell-membrane bilayers. Nature Reviews-Molecular cell biology 2003; 4:414-418.
- Lev S. Non-vesicular lipid transport by lipid-transfer proteins and beyond. Nature Reviews-Molecular cell biology 2010; 11: 739-750.
- Toll A. Plasma lipid transfer proteins. Ann Rev Biochem 1995; 64: 235-257.
- Zilversmit D, Hughes M. Methods in membrane biology. Plenum, New York, 1976. P 211-259.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012; 2(4):296-299. © 2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.