The State of the Antioxidant System in Chronic Hepatitis C
Tashkent Pediatric Medical Institute; Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Gulnozakhon Z. Aripkhodjaeva. Tashkent Pediatric Medical Institute, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: June 22, 2014.
Chronic hepatitis of viral etiology ranks very high in human pathology with respect to its socio-economic and medical significance. In viral hepatitis, membrane destruction occurs via the processes of lipoperoxidation, a valid factor that triggers the mechanism of hepatocyte necrosis. The glutathione system is also involved in the first line of cell defense actions against the effect of the free radicals. In this study, 128 patients with Chronic Hepatitis C (CHC) were examined. The degree of antioxidant defense was determined by the indicators of the activity of the glutathione and glutathione-dependent enzymes. The total, reduced and oxidized glutathione levels were determined by V. G. Chernishov. The activity of the glutathione-dependent enzymes, viz., glutathione peroxidase (GP), glutathione reductase (GR) and glutathione transferase (GT) was measured by the method prescribed by S. N. Vlasova and co-authors (1990). The results of the investigations performed revealed that in CHC patients, deep-seated disorders were observed in the glutathione system manifested by a decrease in the total glutathione levels, its oxidized and reduced forms, changes in the glutathione enzymes and the interrelationships between the intensity of the changes and the degree of the intoxication syndrome.
- Beloborodova EI, Savchenko IV, Beloborodova EV, Rachkovskiy MI, Burkovskaya VA, Abdrashitov RF, et al. Metabolic aspects of the prediction of outcome in chronic viral hepatitis. Klin Med (Mosk) 2005; 83(2):53-6. [Article in Russian].
- Levent G, Ali A, Ahmet A, Polat EC, Aytac C, Ayse E, et al. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense in patients with chronic hepatitis C patients before and after pegylated interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin therapy. J Transl Med 2006, 4:25.
- Boya P, de la Pena A, Beloqui O, Larrea E, Conchillo M, Yurdana Castelruiz Y, et al. Antioxidant status and glutathione metabolism in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with chronic hepatitis C. J Hepatol 1999; 31(5):808-14.
- Paracha UZ, Fatima K, Alqahtani M, Chaudhary A, Abuzenadah A, Damanhouri G, et al. Oxidative stress and hepatitis C virus. Virol J 2013; 10:251
- Urazova OI, Kravets EB, Novitskiy VV, Rogaleva AV, Vasileva OA, Kuznetsova VN, et al. Activity of lipid peroxidation and glutathione system in the blood lymphocytes of the patients with diffusive toxic goiter. Bull Siber Med 2008; 4:47-51. [Article in Russian].
- Chesnokova NP, Ponukalina EV, Bizenkova MN. Molecular-cellular mechanisms of inactivation of free radicals in the biological systems. Usp Sovr Estes 2006; 7:20-36. [Article in Russian].
- Aripov OA. Molecular mechanisms of the cellular apoptosis in hepatitis and methods of their correction. Abstract of ScD Thesis. Tashkent; 2010.
- Glushkov SI. Disorder of the glutathione system and its role in the pathogenesis of acute intoxications with xenobiotics with various mechanisms of toxic effect. Abstract of ScD Thesis. Saint-Petersburgh; 2006. [Abstract in Russian].
- Chernishov VG. Determination of the reduced and oxidized glutathione in the erythrocytes of pregnant women. Lab Delo 1983: 3:31-33. [Article in Russian].
- Vlasova SN, Shabunina EI, Pereslegina IA. The activity of the glutathione-dependent enzymes of erythrocytes in chronic liver diseases in children Lab Delo 1990; 8:19-22. [Article in Russian].
- Delanin NV, Gerasimov AM. Mechanisms of body antioxidant defensive system in change of the regime of oxygen supplying. Materials of International Scientific Conference. Grodno1993; p.18-19. [Abstract in Russian].
- Mirova GD, Romanova NN. Factor of nonspecific defense in viral hepatitis B. All-Union conference:”Molecular mechanisms of the development of infectious diseases”. Zvenigorod 1990; p.68. [Abstract in Russian].
- Vladimirov YuA. Free radicals in the biological systems. Soros Obraz J 2000; 6(12):13-19.
- Zenkov NK, Lapkin VZ, Menshikova EB. Oxidized stress. Biochemical and pathophysiological aspects. M: MAIK, Nauka, Interperiodika; 2001. [Book in Russian].
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(2):79-81. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.