¹Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia; ²Bauman Clinical Hospital #29; Moscow, Russian Federation.
*Corresponding author: Olga L. Paendi, MD. Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia; Moscow, Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: June 22, 2014.
Over the past 20 years, the number of anemia cases has increased more than 6-fold. Unfortunately, the treatment of pregnant women with anemia using an iron supplement gives unsatisfactory results. However, the data from the present study can change situation for the better. This conclusion was derived from a comparative analysis of the treatment of 65 pregnant women suffering from anemia, divided into two groups: the study and control groups. Patients of the study group received, along with standard therapy, courses of hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO). Evaluation of treatment efficiency was based on data from laboratory methods, Doppler, and cardiotocography before and after treatment, as well as a morphological study of the placenta. The received results show that the use of HBO in the complex treatment of pregnant women with anemia may take place in clinical practice both for treatment of anemia during pregnancy, and for the prevention of complications of pregnancy and childbirth.
- Guideline: Daily iron and folic acid supplementation in pregnant women. WHO, 2012
- Reveiz L, Gyte GM, Cuervo LG, Casasbuenas A. Treatments for iron-deficiency anaemia in pregnancy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 10:CD003094.
- Radzinsky VE, Orazmuradov AA. Early pregnancy. Profmedia: “Status praesence”, 2009; 2:307-309
- Paendi OL, Orazmuradov AA, Knyazev, SA, Apresyan SV. The course of pregnancy in certain extragenital diseases (anemia, pyelonephritis, hypertension). Bulletin of the Russian Peoples’ Friendship University (Series: Medicine) 2012; 5:515-524.
- Davydkin NF, Denisov O, Artyukh YA. The use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in treatment of chronic placental insufficiency. J Rehabil Medicine 2010; 5:65-67.
- Henshaw N. Aero-chalinos. Dublin, Dancer, 1664.
- Churchill-Davidson I, Sanger C, Thomlinson RH. High-pressure oxygen and radiotherapy. Lancet 1955; 268(6874):1091–5.
- Brummelkamp WH, Hogenijk J, Boerema I. Treatment of anaerobic infections (clostridial myostitis) by drenching the tissue with oxygen under high atmospheric pressure. Surgery 1961; 49:299–302.
- Smith G, Ledingham IM, Sharp GR, Norman JN, Bates EH. Treatment of coal-gas poisoning with oxygen at 2 atmospheres pressure. Lancet 1962; 1(7234):816–19.
- Gill AL,Bell CNA.Hyperbaric oxygen: its uses, mechanisms of action and outcomes. QJM 2004; 97(7):385-95.
- Chaĭka VK, Kvashenko VP, Akimova IK. Use of hyperbaric oxygenation in the prevention of functional uterine disorders in pregnant women with gestoses]. Akush Ginekol (Mosk) 1990; 7:15-7.[Article in Russian].
- Denisov PI, Proshina IV, Sotnikova EI, Aslanov AG. Placental scintigraphy - a diagnostic method for evaluating indications for hyperbaric oxygenation in pregnant women with high risk of perinatal pathology. Akush Ginekol (Mosk) 1989; 9:25-7. [Article in Russian].
- Van Hoesen KB, Camporesi EM, Moon RE, Hage ML, Piantadosi CA. Should hyperbaric oxygen be used to treat the pregnant patient for acute carbon monoxide poisoning? A case report and literature review. JAMA 1989; 261(7):1039–43.
- Baidina SA, Gramenitskiy AB, Rubinchik BA. Manual of hyperbaric medicine. M: Medicine, 2008.
- Xiao XM1, Ye ZH, Long Y, Chen SL The effects of hyperbaric oxygen treatment on lipid peroxidation of pregnant rabbits and their fetus during late pregnancy. Undersea Hyperb Med 2006; 33(4):299-303.
- Mitrović A1, Nikolić B, Dragojević S, Brkić P, Ljubić A, Jovanović T. Hyperbaric oxygenation as a possible therapy of choice for infertility treatment. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 2006; 6(2):21-4.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(2):82-84. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.