Influence of Autonomic Dysfunction, Gln27Glu Polymorphism of b2-Adrenergic Receptor, and I/D Polymorphism of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Genes on Target Organs (Heart and Brain) in Kyrgyz Patients with Essential Hypertension
Mirsaid Mirrakhimov National Center of Cardiology and Internal Medicine, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
*Corresponding author: Tatyana Romanova, PhD,ScD, Mirsaid Mirrakhimov National Center of Cardiology and Internal Medicine, 3, Togolok Moldo str., 720040, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Tel.: 996-312-66-5027, Fax: 996-312-66-0387.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: Essential hypertension (EH) is traditionally associated with overactivity of sympathetic and renin-angiotensin systems and has multifactorial origin, arising from an interaction between susceptibility genes and environmental factors.
Objectives: to examine the autonomic nervous system, polymorphism of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) and β2-adrenergic receptor (β2-AR) genes in hypertensive patients with complications (left ventricular hypertrophy and ischemic stroke).
Methods: Heart rate variability (HRV) with active tilt-test, 24 h blood pressure monitoring (BP), echocardiography, Gln27Glu polymorphism of β2-AR, and I/D polymorphism of ACE genes were studied in 250 Kyrgyz EH patients with and without complications.
Results: A significant reduction of HRV and decreased response of LF (low frequency) component to tilt-test in hypertensive patients were observed compared to control. Tilt-test in patients with complications of EH had shown inverse response of LF to orthostatic test. Patients with Gln27Gln genotype in comparison to other variants of Gln27Glu polymorphism of β2-AR were characterized by increasing meanings of BP and its morning raises, which possibly may cause increasing of left ventricular mass in these patients. In EH patients with ischemic stroke, DD genotype frequency was more than twofold greater than those with uncomplicated EH. Night hypertension, greater BP variability, and increased carotid intimal thickness are common features in patients with the DD genotype of the ACE gene.
Conclusion: The inverse reaction of LF to orthostatic test can be regarded as an unfavorable prognostic sign, predisposing complications of EH. Our data support an association between I/D polymorphism of ACE gene and stroke in patients with EH.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr, Jones DW, Materson BJ, Oparil S, Wright JT Jr, Roccella EJ. Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee. Seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. Hypertension 2003; 42(6):1206–1252.
- Vakili B, Okin P, Devereux R. Prognostic implications of left ventricular hypertrophy. Am. Heart J 2001; 141:334-341.
- Koren MJ, Devereux RB, Casale PN, Savage DD, Laragh JH. Relation of left ventricular mass and geometry to morbidity and mortality in uncomplicated essential hypertension. Ann Intern Med 1991; 114:345-352.
- Levy D, Garrison RJ, Savage DD, Kannel WB, Castelli WP. Prognostic implications of echocardiographically – determined left ventricular mass in the Framingham Heart Study. N Engl J Med 1990; 322:1561-1566.
- World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe. European health for all database (HFA-DB), 2006.
- Kalmyrzaev B, Aldashev A, Khalmatov M, Polupanov A, Jumagulova A, Mamanova L, Wilkins M, Town M. A Genome-Wide Scan for Premature Hypertension Supports Linkage to Chromosome 2 in a Large Kyrgyz Family. Hypertension 2006; 48(5):908-913.
- Sharma P, Middelberg RP, Andrew T, Johnson MR, Christley H, Brown MJ. Heritability of left ventricular mass in a large cohort of twins. J Hypertens 2006; 24(2):321-324.
- Bak S, Gaist D, Sindrup S.H, Skytthe A, Christensen K. Genetic liability in stroke: a long-term follow-up study of Danish twins. Stroke 2002; 33(3):769-774.
- Griendling KK, Murphy TJ, Alexander RW. Molecular biology of the renin-angiotensin system. Circulation 1993; 87:1816-1828.
- Esler M. Sympathetic activity in experimental and human hypertension. In Mancia G edc. Handbook of hypertension 1997; 17:628–673.
- Devereux RB, Reichek N. Echocardiographic determination of left ventricular mass in man. Anatomic validation of the method. Circulation 1977; 55(4):613-618.
- Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Circulation 1996; 93:1043-1065.
- Hamajima N, Saito T, Matsuo K, Kozaki K, Takahashi T, Tajima K. Polymerase chain reaction with confronting two-pair primers for polymorphism genotyping. Jpn J Cancer Res 2000; 91(9):865-868.
- Rigat B, Hubert C, Alhenc-Gelas F, Cambien F, Corvol P, Soubrier F. An insertion/deletion polymorphism in the angiotensin I-converting enzyme gene accounting for half the variance of serum enzyme levels. J Clin Invest 1990; 86:1343–1346.
- Cheskidova NB, Polupanov AG, Imanov BJ, Pak OA, Romanova TA, Aldashev AA, Dzumagulova AS. Association between Gln27Glu gene polymorphism of β2-adrenergic receptors with clinical and functional features of essential hypertension. CIS Cardiology 2004; 2:182-187.
- Polupanov A, Halmatov A, Pak O, Romanova T, Kim E, Cheskidova N, Aldashev A, Dzhumagulova A. The I/D polymorphism of the angiotensin converting enzyme gene as a risk factor for ischemic stroke in patients with essential hypertension in Kyrgyz population. Arch Turk Soc Cardiol 2007; 35(6):347-353.
- Mandawat MK, Wallbridge DR, Pringle SD, Riyami AA, Latif S, Macfarlane PW, Lorimer AR, Cobbe SM. Heart rate variability in left ventricular hypertrophy. Br Heart J 1995; 73:139-144.
- Petretta M, Bianchi V, Marciano F, Themistoclakis S, Canonico V, Sarno D, Iovino G, Bonaduce D. Influence of left ventricular hypertrophy on heart period variability in patients with essential hypertension. J Hypertens 1995; 13:1299-1306.
- Korpelainen JT, Sotaniemi KA, Huikuri HV, Myllyla VV. Abnormal heart rate variability as a manifestation of autonomic dysfunction in hemispheric brain infarction. Stroke 1996; 27:2059–2063.
- Tokgözoglu SL, Batur MK, Top uoglu MA, Saribas O, Kes S, Oto A. Effects of stroke localization on cardiac autonomic balance and sudden death. Stroke 1999; 30(7):1307-1311.
- Konradi AO, Zakharov DV, Rudomanov OG. Spectral analysis of the heart rate variability in various types of the left heart ventricle remodelling in patients with hypertension. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk 2001; 3:27-31.
- Duprez DA, De Sutter JH, De Buyzere ML, Rietzschel ER, Rimbaut S, Kaufman JM, Van Hoecke MJ, Clement DL. Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, RR interval, and blood pressure variability during postural changes in borderline arterial hypertension. Am J Hypertens 1995; 8:683-688.
- Polupanov AG, Cheskidova NB, Dzumagulova AS. Heart rate variability in patients with essential hypertension and myocardial remodeling. CIS Cardiology 2006; 4:37-40.
- Kato N, Sugiyama T, Morita H, Kurihara H, Sato T, Yamori Y, Yazaki Y. Association Analysis of ß2-Adrenergic Receptor Polymorphisms With Hypertension in Japanese. Hypertension 2001; 37(2):286-292.
- Gharavi AG, Lipkowitz MS, Diamond JA, Jhang JS, Phillips RA. Deletion polymorphism of the angiotensin-converting enzyme gene is independently associated with left ventricular mass and geometric remodeling in systemic hypertension. Am J Cardiol 1996; 77:1315-1319.
- Snieder H, Dong Y, Barbeau P, Harshfield GA, Dalageogou C, Zhu H, Carter ND, Treiber FA. Beta2-adrenergic receptor gene and resting hemodynamics in European and African American youth. Am. J Hypertens 2002; 15(11):973-979.
- Moore PE, Laporte JD, Abraham JH, Schwartzman IN, Yandava CN, Silverman ES, Drazen JM, Wand MP, Panettieri RA Jr, Shore SA. Polymorphism of the ß2-adrenergic receptor gene and desensitisation in human smooth muscle. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162: 2117–2124.
- Chazov EI, Parfenova EV, Krasnikova TL, Tkachuk VA. Peripheral beta-adrenoreceptors in arterial hypertension. Ter Arkh 1999; 71(11):71-76.
- Heckbert SR, Hindorff LA, Edwards KL, Psaty BM, Lumley T, Siscovick DS, Tang Z, Durda JP, Kronmal RA, Tracy RP. Beta2-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms and risk of incident cardiovascular events in the elderly. Circulation 2003; 107(55): 2021-2024.
- Rosei EA. Hypertension, atherosclerosis and LVH in ELSA. Blood Pressure 1996; 5(4):44-47.
- Gomez-Angelats E, de la Sierra A, Enjuto M, Sierra C, Oriola J, Francino A, Paré JC, Poch E, Coca A. Lack of association between ACE gene polymorphism and left ventricular hypertrophy in essential hypertension. J Hum Hypertens 2000; 14(1):47-49.
- Shlyakhto EV, Shwartz EI, Nefedova YB, Zukova AV, Vinnic TA, Conrady AO. Lack of association of the renin-angiotensin system genes polymorphisms and left ventricular hypertrophy in hypertension. Blood Press 2001; 10(3):135-141.
Int J Biomed. 2011; 1(2):59-65. © 2011 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved