Semey State Medical University, Semey, Kazakhstan
*Corresponding author: Aiman S. Kerimkulova PhD, Head of the Department of Outpatient Care, Semey State Medical University, 13 Shakerim str., app.112, 071400, Semey, Kazakhstan. Tel.: 7-222-56-2881 (office), 7-222-56-3346 (home), 7-777-257-0948 (cell). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: In the study of the arterial hypertension (AH), it is noted that remodeling occurs on both the left and right ventricles of the heart.
Methods and results: According to the postmortem autopsy of the dead, a retrospective case-control study had being conducted in the Republic of Kazakhstan in Semey city for 11 years, who had suffered from AH during the lifetime.
Conclusions: It has been revealed that hypertrophy in AH occurs not only of the left, but also of the right ventricle, up to 78.2% in the whole group; a larger part occurs in males (males: up to 81.4%, women: up to 73.7%). The majority of AH patients who died had moderate left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) (61%), slightly higher among females (65.8%) than males (57.3%). Various degrees of LVH differences by gender in the basic parameters have been identified. It is observed that there is a unidirectional increase in the value of the left and right ventricle depending on the increases of the severity of hypertrophy. Individuals with a strong degree of the right ventricular hypertrophy (44.6%) were predominant among the AH dead patients, greater in males (49.1%) compared with females (38.2%). Differences by gender has been found according to age (P=0.006) and thickness of the wall of the right ventricle (P=0.04).
- Oganov RG, Fomina IG. Heart disease: a guide for physicians. Moscow Litterra, 2006.
- Nugmanova A, Pillai G, Nugmanova D, Kuter D. Improving the management of hypertension in Kazakhstan: implications for improving clinical practice, patient behaviors and health outcomes. Glob Public Health 2008;3(2):214-31.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL Jr, et al. Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 2003; 42(6):1206-52.
- Wolf-Maier K, Cooper RS, Banegas JR, Giampaoli S, Hense H-W, Joffres M, Kastarinen M, Poulter N, Primatesta P, Rodriguez-Artalejo F, Stegmayr B, Thamm M, Tuomilehto J, Vanuzzo D, Vescio F. Hypertension prevalence and blood pressure levels in 6 European countries, Canada, and the United States. JAMA 2003; 289(18): 2363-2369.
- National Center for Health Statistics Health E-Stats. Prevalence of overweight, obesity and extreme obesity among adults: United States, trends 1976-80 through 2005-2006. 2008.
- Raman SV. The hypertensive heart. An integrated understanding informed by imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 55(2):91-6.
- Spring A, Kosmala W, Jołda-Mydłowska B, Witkowska M. Right ventricular diastolic disfunction and its relation to left ventricular performance in patients with hypertension. Pol Arch Med Wewn 1997; 97(4):323-32.
- Cuspidi C, Meani S, Fusi V, Valerio C, Catini E, Sala C, Sampieri L, Magrini F, Zanchetti A. Prevalence and correlates of left atrial enlargement in essential hypertension: role of ventricular geometry and the metabolic syndrome: the Evaluation of Target Organ Damage in Hypertension study. J Hypertens 2005; 23(4): 875-82.
- Galinier M, Pathak A, Roncalli J, Massabuau P. Obesity and cardiac failure. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 2005; 98(1):39-45.
- Galderisi M. Diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic aspects. Cardiovascular Ultrasound 2005; 3: 9-14.
- Gradman AH, Alfayoumi F. From left ventricular hypertrophy to congestive heart failure: management of hypertensive heart disease. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2006; 48(5):326-41.
- Díez J, González A, López B, Querejeta R. Mechanisms of disease: pathologic structural remodeling is more than adaptive hypertrophy in hypertensive heart disease. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2005; 2(4):209-16.
- Wachtell K, Okin PM, Olsen MH, Dahlöf B, Devereux RB, Ibsen H, Kjeldsen SE, Lindholm LH, Nieminen MS, Thygesen K. Regression of electrocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy during antihypertensive therapy and reduction in sudden cardiac death: the LIFE Study. Circulation 2007; 116(7):700-5.
- Kahan T. The importance of left ventricular hypertrophy in human hypertension. J Hypertens Suppl 1998; 16(7):S23-9.
- Julien J, Tranche C, Souchet T. Left ventricular hypertrophy in hypertensive patients. Epidemiology and prognosis. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 2004; 97(3):221-7.
- Chakko S, de Marchena E, Kessler KM, Materson BJ, Myerburg RJ. Right ventricular diastolic function in systemic hypertension. Am J Cardiol 1990; 65(16):1117-20.
- Myśliński W, Mosiewicz J, Ryczak E, Barud W, Biłan A, Palusiński R, Hanzlik J. Right ventricular function in systemic hypertension. J Hum Hypertens 1998; 12(3):149-55.
- Tumuklu MM, Erkorkmaz U, Ocal A. The impact of hypertension and hypertension-related left ventricle hypertrophy on right ventricle function. Echocardiography 2007; 24(4):374-84.
- Cuspidi C, Negri F, Giudici V, Valerio C, Meani S, Sala C, Esposito A, Masaidi M, Zanchetti A, Mancia G. Prevalence and clinical correlates of right ventricular hypertrophy in essential hypertension. J Hypertens 2009; 27(4):854-60.
- Cuspidi C, Negri F, Giudici V, Sala C, Mancia G. Impaired midwall mechanics and biventricular hypertrophy in essential hypertension. Blood Press 2010; 19(4):234-9.
- Pedrinelli R, Canale ML, Giannini C, Talini E, Penno G, Dell'Omo G, Di Bello V. Right ventricular dysfunction in early systemic hypertension: a tissue Doppler imaging study in patients with high-normal and mildly increased arterial blood pressure. J Hypertens 2010; 28(3):615-21.
- Bella JN, Wachtell K, Palmieri V, Liebson PR, Gerdts E, Ylitalo A, Koren MJ, Pedersen OL, Rokkedal J, Dahlöf B, Roman MJ, Devereux RB. Relation of left ventricular geometry and function to systemic hemodynamics in hypertension: the LIFE Study. Losartan Intervention For Endpoint Reduction in Hypertension Study. J Hypertens 2001; 19(1):127-34.
- Kuperstein R, Hanly P, Niroumand M, Sasson Z. The importance of age and obesity on the relation between diabetes and left ventricular mass. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 37(7):1957-1962.
- Prisant LM. Hypertensive Heart Disease. J Clin Hypertens 2005; 7 (4): 231-238.
- Giles WH. Left ventricular hypertrophy as a predictor of CHD. Am Heart J 2000; 140(6): 848-856.
- Conrady AO, Rudomanov OG, Zaharov DV, Krutikov AN , Vahrameeva NV, Vahrameeva NV,et al Prevalence and determinants of left ventricular hypertrophy and remodelling patterns in hypertensive patients: the St. Petersburg study. Blood Press 2004; 13(2):101-9.
- Agabiti-Rosei E, Muiesan ML. Left ventricular hypertrophy and heart failure in women. J Hypertens Suppl 2002; 20(2):34-38.
- Levy D. Garrison RJ, Savage DD, Kannel WB, Castelli WP. Prognostic implications of echocardiographically determined left ventricular mass in the Framingham heart study. N Engl J Med 1990; 322:1561-1599.
- Kannel WB. Left ventricular hypertrophy as a risk factor: the Framingham experience. J Hypertens Suppl 1991; 9(2):3-8.
- Roman M J, Pickering ThG, Pini R, Schwartz JE, Devereux RBl. Prevalence and Determinants of Cardiac and Vascular Hypertrophy in Hypertension. Hypertension 1995; 26:369-373.
- Bots ML, Nikitin Y, Salonen JT, Elwood PC, Malyutina S, de Concalves AF, Sivenius J, Cario AD, Lagiou P, Tuomilehto J, Koudstaal PJ, Grobbee DE. Left ventricular hypertrophy and risk of fatal and non-fatal stroke. EUROSTROKE: a collaborative study among research centers in Europe. J Epidemiol Community Health 2002; 56: 8-13.
- Shlyakhto EV. Pathogenesis of hypertension. Heart failure 2002; 3(1):12-13
- Myasnikov AL. Hypertensive heart disease and atherosclerosis. Moscow: Medicine, 1965.
- Dovgjallo G, Siparova LS, Vitale EA. Development of hypertrophy of the right half of the heart in patients with hypertensive heart disease (according to ECG). Healthcare Belarus 1983; 2:18-20.
- Koren MJ, Devereux RB, Casale PN, Savage DD, Laragh JH. Relation of left ventricular mass and geometry to morbidity and mortality in uncomplicated essential hypertension. Ann Intern Med 1991; 114(5): 345-352.
- Lyusov VA, Kugaenko NO, Evsikov EM, Kotova TB, Salova TB, Ivakhnenko NE, Baykov OA, Vinokurov ES. Nature of diastolic dysfunction in hypertensive patients with stage I-II and the change in the therapy of ACE – inhibitors. Russian cardiology Journal 2000; 2: 4-12.
- Aristizabal D, Messerli FH, Frohlich ED. Disparate structural effects of left and right ventricles by angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and calcium antagonists. Am J Cardiol 1994; 73: 483-487.
- Veber VR, Rubanova MP, Zhmaylova SV, Gubskaya PM. Remodeling of the left and right ventricle in arterial hypertension and the possibility of drug correction. Russian Medical Journal 2009; 2:5-9.
- Avtandilov GG. Medical morphometry. Moscow: Medicina 1990.
Int J Biomed. 2011; 1(2):97-102.© 2011 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.