Identification and Spectrum Analysis of the Atrial Electrical Activity for Differential Diagnostics of the Atrial Fibrillation
¹Republican Scientific Practical Centre of Cardiology, Minsk, Belarus ²Institute of Physics, Minsk, Belarus
*Corresponding author: Prof. Alexander V. Frolov, ScD, Head of Medical Information Technology Laboratory, Republican Scientific Practical Center, 110 R. Luxemburg str, Minsk 220036, Belarus. Tel: 375-017-286-19-56. Fax: 375-017-256-05-23. E-mail: email@example.com
Background: The algorithm for precise differential diagnostics of atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter was recently developed.
Materials and methods: 19 patients with atrial fibrillation and several digital ECGs from database.
Results: The algorithm developed is based on atrial ECG extraction by the blind source separation method and its spectral analysis. The number of spectral peaks in the 2-9 Hz range is calculated. Atrial flutter refers to one peak while atrial fibrillation refers to more than one peak.
Conclusions: This method was successfully tested in patients with atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter on several digital ECGs from database. The algorithm was 100% reliable.
1. Nedostup A, Blagova O, Bogdanova E, Platonova A. Noninvasive analysis of atrial and ventricular rhythm in atrial fibrillation: past, present and future of the method in clinical practice. Moscow: Media Sphere, 2005.
2. Syrkin A, Dobrovolsky A. Clinical management of patients with permanent atrial fibrillation: the current state of the problem. Moscow: Consilium Medicum, 2001.
3. ACC/AHA/ESC Guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation - executive summary. Europ Heart Journal 2006; 27(16): 1979-2030.
4. Shulgin V, Tokarev A. The method of recording and analysis of fetal electrocardiogram during pregnancy. Radioelektronni i kompyuterni sistemi 2008; 3 (30): 66-75.
5. Husser D, Stridh M, Sornmo L, Platonov P, Olsson S, Bolman A. Frequency analysis of atrial fibrillation from the surface electrocardiogram . Indian Pacing and Electrophysiology Journal 2004; 4(3): 122-136.
6. Zarzoco V, Phlypo R, Meste O, Comon P. Signal extraction in multisensor biomedical recordings. Advances in biomedical engineering 2008; 3:95-143.
7. Sung-Nien Y, Kuan-To C. Selection of significant independent components for ECG beat classification. Expert Systems with Applications: An International Journal. 2009; 36(2):2088-96.
Int J Biomed. 2011; 1(3):124-127. © 2011 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.