Diphenyl Derivatives: Cytotoxicity, Antiviral and IFN-inducing Activities in vitro
¹D. K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of NAS, Kyiv, Ukraine
²O. O. Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology of NAS, Kyiv, Ukraine
³O. V. Bogatsky Physico-Chemical Institute of NAS, Odessa, Ukraine
*Corresponding author: Olena S. Bogorad-Kobelska, Department of Interferon and Immunomodulators, D. K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of National Academy of Sciences. 154, Zabolotny str. 03680, Kyiv, Ukraine. Tel/Fax: 380-44-5269425.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: the search for new antiviral drugs is the pressing task ahead of scientists all over the world. Ideally, the new drugs should be less cytotoxic and act directly on the virus or induce the production of body’s own interferon. Diphenyl derivatives are analogues of tilorone (known in the Ukraine, such as «Amixine IC») with less cytotoxicity and higher interferon-inducing activity. In this study, the toxicity, antiviral and interferon-inducing activities of diphenyl derivatives have been compared for the different cell cultures.
Methods: Cytotoxicity, IFN-inducing and antiviral activity of diphenyl derivatives were studied using cell lines L929, PST and Vero.
Results: Diphenyl derivatives were found to be less toxic when compared with tilorone. Also, these compounds induced interferon production on L929 and PST cell lines and gave 50% antiviral protection on the Vero cell line which cannot produce interferon.
Conclusions: The compounds tested are capable of protecting cells against viral cytopathic effect, not only through interferon production, but also through some other mechanisms of antiviral activity. Further study of these mechanisms appears to be promising.
- Alcami A, Koszinowski UH. Viral mechanisms of immune evasion. Trends in Microbiology 2000; 8(9):410–18.
- Alcami A. Viral mimicry of cytokines, chemokines and their receptors. Nat Rev Immunol 2003; 3(1):36–50.
- Danve-Szatanek C, Aymard M, Thouvenot D, Morfin F, Agius G, Bertin I, et al. Surveillance network for herpes simplex virus resistance to antiviral drugs: 3-year follow-up. J Clin Microbiol 2004; (42):242–9.
- Delogu I, Pastorino B, Baronti C, Nougairde A, Bonnet E, de Lamballerie X. In vitro antiviral activity of arbidol against Chikungunya virus and characteristics of a selected resistant mutant. Antivir Res 2011; 90(3):99–107.
- He G, Qiao J, Dong C, He C, Zhao L, Tian Y. Amantadine-resistance among H5N1 avian influenza viruses isolated in Northern China. Antivir Res 2008; 77(1):72–6.
- Malvy D, Treilhaud M, Bouee S, Crochard A, Vallee D, Hasnaoui AE, et al. A retrospective, case-control study of acyclovir resistance in herpes simplex virus. Clin Infect Dis 2005; (41):320–6.
- Pestka S. The interferons: 50 years after their discovery, there is much more to learn. J Biol Chemistry 2007; 282(28):20047–51.
- Spivak NJa, Belotskiy SM. Interferon – from molecules to medicine. Phiziol Zh (Ukr) 2007; 53(2):98–104.
- Katz E, Margalith E, Winer B. Inhibition of herpes virus deoxyribonucleic acid and protein synthesis by tilorone hydrochloride. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1976; 99(1):189–95.
- Morahan PS, Munson JA, Baird LG, Kaplan AM, Regelson W. Antitumor action of pyran copolymer and tilorone against Lewis lung carcinoma and B-16 melanoma. Cancer Research 1974; (34):506–11.
- Ershov FI, Kiselev OI. Interferons and their inducers (from molecules to medicine). Moscow: GOETAR Media, 2005.
- Andronati SA, Litvinova LA, Golovenko NYa. Oral inducer of endogenous interferon “Amiksin” and its analogs. Zh AMSU (Russ) 1999; 5(1):53–66.
- Fischer J, Lüllmann H, Lüllmann-Rauch R. Drug-induced lysosomal storage of sulphated glycosaminoglycans. General Pharmacology: The Vascular System 1996; 27(8):1317–24.
- Bredehorn T, Duncker GI. Tilorone-induced functional changes in the rat retina. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 2000; 216(4):219–22.
- Prokopek M. The tilorone-induced mucopolysaccharidosis in rats: Biochemical investigations. Biochemical Pharmacology 1991; 42(11):2187–91.
- Weiss JN, Ochs AL, Abedi S, Selhorst JB. Retinopathy after tilorone hydrochloride. Amer J Ophthalmol 1980; 90(6):846–53.
- Weiss JN, Weinberg RS, Regelson W. Keratopathy after oral administration of tilorone hydrochloride. Amer J Ophthalmol 1980; 89(1):46–53.
- Shay DS, Zholobak NM, Spivak MYa. Investigation of effect of amixin and its analogs on interferon status of mice. Immunology and allergology. (Ukr) 2007;(1):22–23.
- Bogatsky OV, Gren AI, Litvinova LO, Lempart GV. Synthesis of 2,7-bis-[2-(diethylamino)ethoxy]fluoren-9-on. Extras. AS URSR. Ser. B (Ukr) 1976; (7):610–12.
- Shay DS, Zholobak NM, Lyahov SA, Maltzev GV, Fernandes de Rivas SO, Litvinova LO, et al. Interferon activity of amixin analogs and diphenyl derivatives. Microbiol Zh (Ukr) 2007; 69(5):59–64.
- Lazarenko LN, Spivak, NJa, Mikhailenko OM, Suchich GT, Lakatos VP. Titration of interferon. In: Human papillomavirus infection and interferon system. (Russ) Kyiv: Fitosociotcentr, 2008. p. 237–8.
- Medvedev AE, Fuchs BB, Rankhmilevich AL. A study of the action of immunosuppressive factors from tumour cells on lymphocytes and macrophages in vitro and on the graft-versus-host reaction in mice. Biomed Scien 1990;(1):261–6.
- Antonovych G, Bogorad-Kobelska E, Zholobak N, Shibinska M, Lyakhov S, Andronati S, Spivak M. New antiviral substances of indoloquinoxaline and diphenyl nature. Antiviral Research 2011; 90(2):A53.
- Lyakhov SA, Litvinova LA, Andronati SA, Berezina LK, Galkin BN, Osetrov VE, et al. Biochemical mechanisms of realization of the antiviral and interferon-inducing activity of amixine and its analogues. Ukr bіohіm J 2001; 73(4):108–13.
- Dolga OV, Pohorela NH, Bohorad-Kobelska OS, Andronati SA, Magura IS. Effect of amixine electrophoretic mobility on mouse T-lymphocytes. Phiziol Zh (Ukr) 2011; 57(2):14–8.
- Dolga OV, Pohorela NH, Bohorad-Kobelska OS, Magura IS. Effect of diphenyl derivatives on the surface charge of mouse spleen T-lymphocytes. III congress of physiologists of the CIS. Yalta, Ukraine. 1–6 October 2011.
- Bohorad-Kobelska OS, Zholobak NM, Kavok NS, Borovoy IA, Malyukin JV, Spivak MJa. Change of the cell plasma membrane potential under the influence of diphenyl derivatives. Fundamental and applied research in biology. II International Conference of Students and young scientists. Donetsk, Ukraine. 19–22 September 2011. P. 220.
Int J Biomed. 2011; 1(3): 153-157. © 2011 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.