I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Yury S. Milovanov, PhD, ScD, Leading Researcher of the Nephrology Department, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, 11, Rossolimo str., building 4, 119992, Moscow, Russian Federation. Tel: 7-495-3932492 (home), 7-903-5205122 (mobile) E-Mail: email@example.com
In this study, we evaluated the comparative effects of calcitriol and paricalcitol in decreasing proteinuria and preventing secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD), at stages 3-4. Evaluation was done using 50 patients with stages 3-4 of CKD, resulting from connective tissue diseases. 35 patients have systemic lupus erythematosus and 15 patients have various forms of systemic vasculitis. All patients were divided into two groups. Group 1 consisted of 28 patients treated with calcitriol at a dose of 0.25 micrograms per day, while Group 2 consisted of 22 patients, received paricalcitol in a daily dose 1 microgram. All patients on admission and at the end of the study period underwent a Doppler ultrasound of the common carotid arteries. Application of paricalcitol in predialysis stages of CKD with the secondary hyperparathyroidism (SHPT) was accompanied by normalization of intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels, and a significant decrease in the daily proteinuria levels as well as hypertension.
- Agarwal R, Acharya M, Tian J, Hippensteel RL, Melnick JZ, Qiu P, Williams L, Batlle D. Antiproteinuric effect of oral paricalcitol in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int 2005; 68(6): 2823-2828
- Coyne D, Acharya M, Qiu P, et al. Paricalcitol capsule for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in stages 3 and 4 CKD. Am J Kidney Dis 2006; 47: 263-276
- Krajisnik T, Bjorklund P, Marsel R, et al. Fibroblast growth factor-23 regulates parathyroid hormone and 1-alfa-hydroxylaseexpression in cultured bovine parathyroid cells. J Endocrinol 2007; 195: 125-131
- Sprague SM, Llach F, Amdahl M, Taccetta C, Batlle D. Paricacitol versus calcitriol in the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism. Kidney Int 2003; 63: 1483-1490
- Lindberg J, Martin KJ , Gonzales EA, Acchiardo SR, Valdin JR, Soltanek C. A long-term, multicenter study of the efficacy and safety of parycalcitol in end-stage renal disease. Clin Nephrol 2001; 56: 315-323
- Martin KJ, Gonzalez MG, Gonzalez EA, Gellens M, Hamm LL, Abboud H, Lindberg J. 19-Nor-1-a-25 Dihydroxyvitamin D2 (Paricalcitol) safety and affectively reduces the levels of the intact Parathyroid Hormone in patients on Hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1998; 9: 1427-1432.
- Llach F, Yudd M. Paricalcitol in Dialysis Patients with calcitriol-resistant secondary hyperparathyroidism. Am J Kid Dis 2001; 38(suppl 5): S45-S50.
- Teng M, Wolf M, Lowrie E, Ofsthun N, Lazarus JM, Thadhanl R. Survival of Patients Undergoing hemodialysis with paricalcitol or Calcitriol therapy. New Engl J Med 2003; 349: 446-456.
- Schumock GT. Comparative Effectiveness of Paricalcitol versus Cinacalcet for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism in Patients Receiving Hemodialysis. Nephron Clin Pract 2010; 117(2):151-159.
- Dobrez DG, Mathes A, Amdahl M. Marx SE, Melnick JZ, Sprague SM. Paricalcitol-treated patients experience improved hospitalization outcomes compared with calcitriol-treated patients in real-world clinical settings. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004; 19:1174-1181.
- Schumock GT, Arruda JA, Marx SE, Melnick J, Sterz R, Williams LA. Pharmacoeconomic analysis of paricalcitol and calcitriol in the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in haemodialysis: impact of hospitalizations and survival. J Med Econ 2007; 10: 393-409.
- Gal-Mascovici A, Sprage SM. Comparative cost benefit analyses of paricalcitol and calcitriol in stage 4 chronic kidney disease from the perspective of a health plan. Clin Drug Invest 2007; 27: 105-113.
Int J Biomed. 2011; 1(4):199-203. © 2011 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.