NBI-Endoscopy: Method of Early Diagnosis of Chronic Diseases of the Gastrointestinal Tract
¹Russian National Medical Research University, Moscow, Russian Federation
²Medicina, LLC, Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Vadim D. Kreymer, PhD, ScD, 2nd Diagnostic Department, Medicina, LLC, 10, 2nd Tverskoy- Yamskoy lane, 1225047, Moscow, Russian Federation. Tel/Fax: 7-903-7415256 E-Mail:KreymerVD@mail.medicina.ru
Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) is a modern method of electronic chromoendoscopy, which is based on the visualization of vascular structures. This method has become very important to detect the early stages of cancer pathology. In 2007-2010, for the first time in the world’s practice, this method was applied for the diagnosis of chronic inflammatory, inflammatorydestructive and early structural changes in the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract and the trachea and bronchial tree. To examine the patients, a digital video endoscope system EVIS EXERA-II (OLYMPUS, Japan) was used. Targeted biopsy was performed according to the images obtained by using the NBI system. In this study, we examined 2166 patients with various chronic disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. The patients were divided into two groups: 1151 – who were subjected to NBI (a group of observations) and 1015 – who were subjected to standard endoscopy without NBI (control group). The capabilities of digital video endoscopy using NBI have been studied for the diagnosis of chronic inflammatory and destructive changes in the mucous membrane of the digestive tract. The results showed a high diagnostic and prognostic significance; we particularly noted an increase of more than 30% in the detection of inflammatory, destructive, and structural changes in the mucosa of the organs we observed. This method proved to be more than 99.8% sensitive, with a specificity of more than 78.0%. The results obtained indicate that this imaging system can be used with high diagnostic and prognostic significance for the diagnosis of chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Kashin SV. NBI and magnifying endoscopy are new opportunities for diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus. Features of NBI in endoscopic diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal tract. Moscow. Publication LLC "Olympus", 2007.
- Kashin SV. New features of the endoscopic screening for cancer of the digestive system. Materials of the XIV Russian Gastroenterological Week. Moscow, 2006
- Kreymer VD, Tyurin, V, Cogan EA, Purundzhan AL. The efficiency of the new NBI-technology in endoscopic examination of patients with chronic gastritis. Clinical Medicine 2008; 12:43-47.
- Kreymer VD, Tyurin VP, Purundzhan AL, Cogan EA. Chronic duodenitis: new aspects of the endoscopic diagnosis using NBI-technology. Clinical Medicine 2009; 3:45-49.
- N Uedo. A new method of diagnostic intestinal metaplasia: narrow-band imaging with magnifying endoscopy. Endoscopy 2006; 38(8):819-24.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012; 2(1):41-44. © 2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.