Morphological Characteristics of Spermatozoa from Men in a Barren Marriage with Identified Chlamydia
Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Iskandar A. Vaisov, Republican Specialized Scientific and Practical Medical Center of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 132-а, M. Ulugbek str., 100124, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Using scanning electron microscopy (SEM) the spermatozoa of men in a barren marriage, having normal sperm, but identified with chlamydia are studied. Chlamydia causes the deformation of the spermatozoa tails, leading to their bifurcation and scalloped appearance. Deformation of the heads can occur producing an hour-glass like appearance, with the formation of ball-like heads with hollows and inclusions on their surface.
1. Baibekov IM, Asadov HD, Strijkov NA. Scanning electron microscopy of the seminiferous tubules and spermatozoa of rats after thermal exposure. Bull Experim Biol Med 2007; 1:117-120.
2. Bragin EE, Kurylo LF, Shileiko LV, Abdumalikov RM. Ultrastructural and quantitative karyological analysis of germ cells from the semen of patient’s with absolute asthenozoospermia. Probl of Reproductions 1997; 3(4):72-75.
3. Kurylo LF, Dubinskaya VP, Ostroumova TV, Shileiko LV, Mkhitarov VA, Litvinenko MV. Evaluation of spermatogenesis by immature gametes. Probl of Reproductions 1995; 3:33-38.
4. Manual for laboratory investigation of human semen and sperm interaction with cervical mucus. M0scow: Medpress, 2001.
5. Tiktinsky OL. Andrology guide. Leningrad: Medicine, 1990.
6. Holstein A, Roosen-Runge E. Atlas of Human spermatogenesis. Berlin: Grosse Verlag,1998.
7. Hosseinzadeh S, Eley A, Pacey A.A. Semen quality of men with asymptomatic chlamydial infection. Journal of Andrology 2004; 25:104- 10.
8. Ludwig G, Frick J. Spermatology. Atlas and manual. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 1987.
9. Menkveld R, Oettle E, Kruger T, Swanson R, Acosta A, Oehninger S. Atlas of Human sperm morphology. Maryland, Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1991.
10. Krause W, Bohring C. Male infertility and genital chlamydial infection: victim or perpetrator? Andrologia 2003; 35:209-216
11. Molnar J, Szarvos F. Andrologie. Leipzig, 1998.
12. Ombelet W, Menkveld R, Kruger TF, Steeno O. Sperm morphology assessment: histological review in relation to fertility. Human Reproduction 1995; 1:543-557.
13. Pacey AA, Eley A. Chlamydia trachomatis and male fertility Human Fertility, December 2004; 7(4): 271-276.
14. Ross MH, Rommrell LJ, Kaye GI. Histology and text and Atlas. Williams, Wilkins. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Hong Kong, London, Sydney, Tokyo, 2001; 822 R.
15. Bocharova EN, Bragina EE, Gusak YuK. Spontaneous abortion failures in the use of reproductive technologies and herpetic infection of sperm cells. Andrology and genital surgery 2006; 1:59-65.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012; 2(1):62-65. © 2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.