Altai State Medical University, Barnaul, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Assoc. Prof. Yuliya S. Kondratyeva, PhD, Department of Skin and Venereal Diseases, Altai State Medical University, 62B, Molodezhnaya str., apt. #48, Barnaul, Altai Krai, Russian Federation. Tel: 7-903-9963341. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The objective of this study was the investigation of the influence of chlamydial, mycoplasmal and trichomonas infection on the development of urinary bladder leukoplakia. The article presents the results of the examination of women with chronic cystitis complicated with leukoplakia of the bladder, and associated with concomitant sexually transmitted infections, including the results of culture analysis of the cervical canal content and urinary bladder biopsy samples, as well as molecular-biological analyses confirming the presence of sexually transmitted infections, pathomorphological characteristics of tissue samples from leukoplakia foci typical for different types of infectious agents. In this study, 60 women with chronic cystitis, complicated with leukoplakia of the bladder and associated with concomitant sexually transmitted infections were examined. Using PCR diagnostics, Mycoplasma hominis and Chlamydia albicans were found to be the most frequently occurring agents, followed by Ureaplasma urealyticum, Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonas vaginalis. The results of culture analyses demonstrated that M. hominis and U. urealyticum were prevalent in patients with chronic urinary tract inflammatory processes, followed by Tr. vaginalis. Candida fungi show practically the same frequency of occurrence. The pathomorphological examination of the foci of leukoplakia in the urinary bladder (in 30 subjects) demonstrated metaplasia of the transitional epithelium to the stratified pavement squamous epithelium with inflammatory cellular infiltration of the lamina propria in all types of infections. The intensity of the urothelial transformation and stromal inflammatory processes were determined by the type of predominant infection. Pathomorphological characteristics of the foci of leukoplakia correlate with the etiology of chronic inflammation and are relevant for etiological diagnosis and treatment.
1. Global strategy for the prevention and control of sexually transmitted infections: 2006-2015. Breaking the chain of transmission. J Vestnik Dermat and Venerol 2008; 4:17-29. [in Russian].
2. Khrianin AA. Infections of Mycoplasma, Moscow, PAGRI, 2006. [in Russian].
3. Kubanova AA, Rakhmatulina MR. Urinogenital infectious diseases caused by genital mycoplasma. Clinical recommendations. J Vestnik Dermat and Venerol 2009; 3:78-82. [in Russian].
4. Kosova IV. Genitourinary infections role in cystitis and non-obstructive pyelonephritis ethiology. Ph.D. thesis, Moscow, 2005. [in Russian].
5. Burkhard FC, Blick N, Studer UE. Urinary urgency and chronic urethral and/or pelvic pain in females. Can doxycycline help? J Urology 2004; 172(1):232-235.
6. Adaskevich VP. Sexually transmitted infections. Physician handbook, Moscow, 1999. [in Russian].
7. Rakovskaya IV. Human mycoplasma and mycoplasmal infections. J Clin Lab Diagnostics 2005; 3:25-32. [in Russian].
8. Loran OB, Sinyakova LA, Kosova IV. Genitourinary infections role in cystitis and non-obstructive pyelonephritis ethiology in women (part 2), J Urology 2005; 3:63-66.
9. Okamura K, Ito K, Suzuki Y, Shimoji T. Histological study of cases of bladder cancer and chronic cystitis with difficulty in cystoscopic diagnosis. Hinyokika Kiyo 1984; 30(4):459-465.
10. Vitoratos N, Gregoriou O, Papadias C, Liapis A, Zourlas PA. Sexually transmitted diseases in women with urethral syndrome. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 1988; 27(2):177-180.
11. Murakami S, Igarashi T, Takahara M, Yamanishi T, Shimazaki J, Shigematsu H. Squamous metaplasia of the trigone in women with recurrent cystitis syndrome. Hinyokika Kiyo 1985; 31(2):301-07.
12. Vozianov AF, Romanenko AM, Klimenko IA. Precancer and early forms of urinary bladder cancer. Kiev, Health, 1994. [in Russian].
13. Gumus E, Yilmaz B, Miroglu C. Extensive bilateral renal pelvis, ureter and bladder leukoplakia. Int J Urol 2003; 9:653-655.
14. Sarkisov DS, Petrov YL. Microscopic techniques. Moscow, 1996. [in Russian]
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012;2(3):192-196.©2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.