1Saint Petersburg Research Institute of Phthisiopulmonology,
²Saint Petersburg State University, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Anna A. Starshinova, PhD, Senior Researcher, Department of Child Phthisiatry, Federal State Institution «Saint Petersburg Research Institute of Phthisiopulmonology» of Ministry of Public Health and Social Development of Russian Federation, 2-4, Ligovsky ave., 191036, Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation Tel: 7-812-2972263. E-mail: email@example.com
This study helped to ascertain the superiority of Diaskintest® (DST) with respect to the wealth of information it provides when compared with the Mantoux test with PPD 2 TU (M2) in determining the activity of tuberculosis infection in children. The evaluation parameters of diagnostic value with DST (DE=77.5%, NPV=72.4%, PPV=91.1%) were significantly higher than with M2x test 2TU (DE=57.2%, NPV=47.6%, PPV=53.2%). On positive testing with Diaskintest®, Tuberculosis of Intrathoracic Lymph Nodes (TITLN) showed nodes larger than 0.5 cm, which was determined in 80.4% and could be estimated as minor manifestations of intrathoracic lymphadenopathy against the background of the high activity of tuberculosis infection. Diaskintest® and X-ray methods are mandatory in the diagnosis of tuberculosis in children. This is absolutely necessary to adequately assess the child’s condition and provide timely administration of disease specific therapy.
- Shilova MV. Tuberculosis in Russia in 2009. Moscow: Company "Prima”, 2010. [in Russian].
- Shilova MV. The organization of TB care in Russia and ways to modernize the organizational-methodical management of dispensary observation of patients with tuberculosis in the current epidemic and the socio-economic conditions. Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2011; 5:236-237. [in Russian].
- Ovsyankina ES. Experience with the new skin test (Diaskintest ®) for the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in children and adolescents in the tuberculosis department. Probl Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2009; 1:16-19. [in Russian].
- Slogotskaya LV, Kochetkov YaA, Senchihina OYu. Using Diaskintest in examining social contact with TB patients among adolescents. Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2011; 5:163. [in Russian].
- Slogotskaya LV, Kochetkov YaA, Filinov AV. Diaskintest - A New Method of TB Diagnostics. Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2011; 6:17-22. [in Russian].
- Ovsyankina ES. Clinical and radiological characteristics of new-onset tuberculosis of intrathoracic lymph nodes in children. Probl Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2007; 1:3-5. [in Russian].
- Dovgalyuk IF, Korneva NV. Clinical and epidemiological features of tuberculosis in children of North-West of the Russian Federation. Tuberculosis and lung disease 2011; 3:12-16. [in Russian].
- Aksenova VA. Diaskintest in assessing the activity of tuberculosis in children and adolescents. Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2009; 10:13-16.
- Dovgalyuk IF, Ovchinnikova YuE, Kondakova MN, D'yakova ME, Potapenko EI. Clinical and laboratory (immunobiochemical) methods in the diagnosis, determining the activity and the selection of treatment of various manifestations of tuberculosis infection from infection to the local form with a complicated course. A Handbook for Physicians. St. Petersburg, 1999. [in Russian].
- Knoring BE, Chuzhova NM,Saharova IYa, Leonchenko EM, Ryasnyansky TB. Determination of immune status and cytokine levels to assess the flow of pulmonary tuberculosis. A Handbook for Physicians. St. Petersburg, 1998. [in Russian].
- Mednikov BL Slogotskaya LV. Skin test with the drug Diaskintest ® (recombinant allergen TB 0.2 mg in 0.1 ml solution for intradermal injection) for the identification of tuberculosis infection. A Handbook for Physicians. Moscow, 2009. [in Russian].
- Ovsyankina ES. Recommendations for the use of skin testing with the drug recombinant allergen TB 0.2 mg in 0.1 ml solution for intradermal injection (Diaskintest ®) for the identification of tuberculosis infection in children and clinical observation in tuberculosis institutions. Guidelines #26. Moscow, 2010. [in Russian].
- Tyurin IE. Computed tomography of the chest. St. Petersburg: ELBI-SPB, 2003. [in Russian].
- Lazareva YaV. The value of computed tomography in the diagnosis and classification of tuberculosis. Probl Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2005; 12:14-19. [in Russian].
- Gegeeva FE. Clinical and radiographic diagnosis of "minor" forms of tuberculosis of intrathoracic lymph nodes in children. Abstract of PhD Thesis. Moscow, 2006. [in Russian].
- Dauletova YA. Optimization of the diagnosis of tuberculosis of intrathoracic lymph nodes in children. Abstract of PhD Thesis. Novosibirsk, 2009. [in Russian].
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012;2(3):204-210.©2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.