Rational Use of Drugs: Pharmaceutical Aspects of the Drug Selection
Perm State Pharmaceutical Academy, Perm, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Assoc. Prof. Natalya B. Rostova, PhD, ScD, Department of Management and Economy of Pharmacy, Perm State Pharmaceutical Academy, 2, Polevaya str., 614990, Perm, Russian Federation. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
In this article, the problems encountered in the rational use of drugs are discussed, one of the areas of optimization of drug supply being the rational choice of drugs, particularly, a regulatory activity regarding the approach to the selection of standardized drug lists (drug formulary) for public drug supply, according to government guarantees and programs. The clinical aspects of the drug selection are expounded in detail. The characteristics of the drugs (original or generic drug (generics), the origin of drugs and the breadth of therapeutic index), have been taken into account. Certain stages have been analyzed, particularly drug use in individual diseases, drug selection, expert drug evaluation, and expert recommendations to include specific drugs in the drug list. Organizational steps have been proposed to implement the rational choice of drugs to be included in the drug formulary.
- Promoting rational use of medicines [Electronic resource]: http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/policyperspectives/ppm05en.pdf.
- Rostova NB. The results of studying the organization of the process of drug supply and implementation of the formulary system in medical institutions. Problems of standardization in health care 2011; 1/2:30-34. [in Russian].
- Rostova NB, Soloninina AV. Methodological approaches to compiling a drug formulary at the regional level. Problems of standardization in health care 2008; 7:6-10.
- Yushkov VV, Soloninina AV, Oleshko GI. Organizational-pharmaceutical and pharmacoeconomic aspects of rational use of medicines. Perm, 2005. [in Russian].
- The Federal Act "On the inversion of drugs" of 04.12.2010, the number 61-FA. [in Russian].
- Borgherini G. The bioequivalence and therapeutic efficacy of generic versus brand-name psychoactive drugs. Clin Ther 2003; 25:1578–1592.
- Crawford P. Are there potential problems with generic substitution of antiepileptic drugs? A review of issues. Seizure 2006; 15 (3):165–176.
- Feely M. Risk management in epilepsy: generic substitution and continuity of supply. Eur J Hosp Pharm Sci 2005; 11:83–87.
- Haskins LS, Tomaszewski KJ, P. Crawford P. Patient and physician reactions to generic antiepileptic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy”. Epilepsy & Behavior 2005; 7:98–105.
- Roger SD. Biosimilars: How similar or dissimilar are they? Nephrology 2006; 11:341–346.
- EMEA, Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use, Guideline on Similar Biological Medicinal Products, October, 2005 [Electronic resource]. http:// bio.org/healthcare/followonbkg/GuidelineonSimilarBiologicalProducts.pdf.
- Mossialos E, Mrazek M, Uoll-Copenhagen T. Regulation of the pharmaceutical sector in Europe for the sake of efficiency, quality and equality. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, 2006. [in Russian].
- Paesschen WV.The use of generic medication in epilepsy: A review of potential issues and challenges. Eur Journal of Pediatric Neurology 2009; 13: 87–92.
- Duh MS. The risks and costs of multiple-generic substitution of topiramate. Neurology 2009; 72 (24): 2122–2129.
- Wilner AN. Therapeutic equivalency of generic antiepileptic drugs: results of a survey. Epilepsy & Behavior 2004; 5:995–998.
- Dukes MNG, Haeyer Ruskamp FM, de Yonhere KP, Rietveld EH. Drugs and money: prices, availability and cost containment. Moscow: All The World, 2006. [in Russian].
- Commission Directive 2003/63/EC of 25 June 2003 amending Directive 2001/83/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Community code relating to medicinal products for human use [Electronic resource].http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32003L0063:EN:HTML.
- Savelli E, Schwartz G, Zagorski A, Bikov A. Practical guide to develop and implement the formulary system in hospitals: the project "Rational Pharmaceutical Management" in Russia. Ed. 2nd. Virginia. Moscow, 1997. [in Russian].
- Rostova NB. Methodological approaches to improve drug supply in-patients in the municipal health care system. Abstract of PhD Thesis. Perm, 2000. [in Russian].
- Vorobyev PA, Avksenteva MB, Borisenko OV, Vorobyev AI, Vyalkov AI, Lukyantseva DV. Clinical and economic analysis. Moscow: Nyudiamed, 2008. [in Russian].
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012;2(3):237-241.© 2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.