Tashkent Medical Academy, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Assoc. Prof. Timur V. Melkumyan, PhD, ScD, Therapeutic Dentistry Department, Tashkent Medical Academy. 2, Faroby str., 100109, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Tel: 998-91-1653991
The clinical and experimental efficiency of the soft-start polymerization technique in composite restorations was studied. In this study, 57 patients between 30 and 44 years of age with secondary caries had 158 restorations done using the photo-composite material Filtek Z250. The restorations performed were distinguished into two groups, the basis of the photo-polymerization method of employed (conventional polymerization technique and "soft-start" polymerization technique). The objects of the study also included the specimens of 18 extracted teeth. The analysis of the data indicates that employing the "soft-start" polymerization technique provides better integration of the composite material to the hard tissues of the tooth. This conclusion was best demonstrated in cases where the dentin was a connecting link in the chain "substrate-hybrid layer-composite".
1. Remizov SM, Skvortsov VN. Micromechanical characteristics of dental restorative materials, enamel and dentin of the human teeth. Stomatologia 2001; 4:28-32. [in Russian].
2. Villares CF. Predictable results. Restoration of the upper central incisor. New in Dentistry 2009; 5:52-54. [in Russian].
3. Lobovkina LA. The applications experience of the new nanohybrid composite the "Grandio" in dentistry clinic. New in Dentistry 2008; 3:1-8. [in Russian].
4. Boston DW. A new approach to the treatment of fissure caries. Clinical Stomatologiya 2010; 1:4-38. [in Russian].
5. Kamilov JP, Bekzhanova OE, Asimov NN. Seal condition in the adult population of Tashkent. Dental Forum 2004; 1:39-44. [in Russian].
6. Makeeva IM. Yakushechkina EP. Using of the 3M ESPE composite for restoring posterior teeth. New in Dentistry 2001; 7:26-27. [in Russian].
7. Destoop V. The cracking resistance and adhesion to dentine of dental restorative materials: a fracture mechanics approach (Doctoral thesis). Leuven: Université Catholique de Louvain. Belgium, 2003.
8. Heimann J, Jahn B. Functional restoration. New in Dentistry 2009; 6:6-21. [in Russian].
9. Lutskaya IK, Novak NV. Modeling of the cutting edge of the restoration according to the shape mamelons. New in Dentistry 2010; 2:1-8. [in Russian].
10. Yarlichs J, Holzmeier M. Venus-Ein neues Universalkomposit fŭr hohste asthetische Anspruche. New in Dentistry 2004; 2:5-25. [from German into Russian].
11. Chan DC, Browning WD, Fraizer KB, Brackett MG. Clinical evaluation of the soft-start (pulse-delay) polymerization technique in Class I and II composite restorations. Oper Dent 2008; 33:265-271.
12. De Gee, Cees AJ, Kleverlaan J. Shrinkage and shrinkage stress at polymerization by composite materials. Institute of Dentistry 2008; 4:12. [in Russian].
13. Fleming GJ, Cara RR, Palin WM, Burke FJ. Cuspal movement and microleakage in premolar teeth restored with resin-based filling materials cured using «Soft-Start» polymerization protocol. Dent Mater 2007; 23:637–643.
14. Peutzfeldt A, Asmussen E. Determinants of in vitro gap formation of resin composites. J Dent 2004; 32:109-115.
15. Cehreli MC, Canay S. Comparison of post-gel shrinkage strains in light-polymerized composite resins. J Prosthet Dent 2002; 88:461-466.
16. Dennison JB, Yaman P, Seir R, Hamilton JC. Effect of variable light intensity on composite shrinkage. J Prosthet Dent 2000; 84:499–505.
17. Ernst CP, Meyer GR, Klocker K. Determination of polymerization shrinkage stress by means of a photoelastic investigation. Dent Mater 2004; 20:313-321.
18. Melkumyan TV. Composite restorations and the tissue management. Med Journal of Uzbekistan 2008; 2:52-53. [in Russian].
19. Nikolaev AI, Nakonechniy DA, Nikolaev DA. Unification of the cavities preparation techniques and conditioning of the restoration in dental composite restoration. Part IV. Set of burs and abrasive tools for the aesthetic composite restoration of posterior teeth. New in Dentistry 2008; 3:42-45. [in Russian].
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012;2(3):242-245.© 2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.