Tashkent Medical Academy,Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Rustam T. Muminov: MD. Department of Surgery, Tashkent Medical Academy. Tashkent, Uzbekistan E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: March 25, 2015. DOI: 10.21103/Article5(1)_CR4
The objective of study was to improve the results of surgical treatment of patients with bilateral atherosclerotic lesions of the carotid arteries.
Material and Methods: The study included 180 patients between the ages of 42 and 82 (mean age 59±5.6 yrs) who underwent surgical treatment for bilateral atherosclerotic lesions of the carotid arteries during 2008-2014. Depending on the surgical treatment tactic, a total of 180 patients were divided into two groups. Group 1 included 60 (33.3%) patients who underwent staged bilateral carotid endarterectomy (CEA). Group 2 included 120 (66.7%) patients, in whom the first stage of CEA was performed on the side of primary importance.
Results: The differentiated approach for identification the side for the first stage CEA is very important. Our experience shows that the intervals between CEA on both sides should not exceed 3 months and should be no less than 3 weeks. This tactic reduces not only mortality and complications, but also significantly improves the patient life quality by promoting rapid regression of neurological deficit.
- Bladin CF, Alexandrov AV, Murphy J, Maggisano R, Norris JW. Carotid stenosis index. A new method of measuring internal carotid artery stenosis. Stroke 1995; 26(2):230-4.
- MRC European Carotid Surgery Trial: interim results for symptomatic patients with severe (70-99%) or with mild (0-29%) carotid stenosis. European Carotid Surgery Trialists' Collaborative Group. Lancet 1991; 337(8752):1235-43.
- Gay JL, Curtil A, Buffiere S, Favre JP, Barral X. Urgent carotid artery repair: retrospective study of 21 cases. AnnVasc Surg 2002; 16(4):401-6.
- Rantner В, Pavelka M, Posch L, Schmidauer C, Fraedrich G. Carotid endarterectomy after ischemic stroke - is there a justification for delayed surgery? Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2005; 30(1):36-40.
- Rothwell PM, Eliasziw M, Gutnikov SA, Warlow CP, Barnett HJ; Carotid Endarterectomy Trialists Collaboration. Endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis in relation to clinical subgroups and timing of surgery. Lancet 2004; 363(9413):915-24.
- Sillesen H, Nielsen T. Clinical significance of intraplaque hemorrhage in carotid artery disease. J Neuroimaging 1998; 8(1)15-9.
- Bossema ЕР, Brand AN, Geenen R, Moll FL, Ackerstaff RG, van Doornen LJ. Effect of carotid endarterectomy on patient evaluations of cognitive functioning and mental and physical health. Ann Vasc Surg 2005; 19(5):673-7.
- North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med 1991; 325(7):445-53.
- Gavrilenko AV, Kuklin AV, Kravchenko AA, Agafonov IN. Preventive maintenance of repeated ischemic insults. Angiol Sosud Khir 2008; 14(3):143-7. [Article in Russian].
- Gavrilenko AV, Kuklin AV, Kiseleva TN. Efficacy of carotid endarterectomy in patients with stenosis of carotid arteries and acute vision impairment. Angiol Sosud Khir. 2013;19(1):106-12. [Article in Russian].
- Zhulev NM, Sokurenko G, Kandyba D. Stroke of extracranial origin. Monograph. St. Petersburg; 2004. [in Russian].
- Ivanova NE. Stroke prevention, diagnosis and treatment. St. Petersburg, 2002.
- Kazanchian PO, Popov VA, Rudakov TV. Plastic repair of the carotid artery in carotid endarterectomy. Vestn Khir Im I I Grek. 1995;154(2):9-13. [Article in Russian].
- Miklashevich ER, Antonov G, Mitroshin GE. Carotid revascularization in acute ischemic stroke. J Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 4(10)38-9.
- Pokrovskiĭ AV, Beloiartsev DF, Fedorov EE. Remote results after prosthetic repair of the internal carotid artery for atherosclerotic lesions. Angiol Sosud Khir 2009; 15(4):87-97. [Article in Russian].
- Gray-Weale AC, Graham JC, Burnett JR, Bryne K, Lusby RJ. Carotid artery atheroma: comparison of preoperative B-mode ultrasound appearance with carotid endarterectomy specimen pathology.
- Hachinski VC, Iliff LD, Zilhka E, Du Boulay GH, McAllister VL, Marshall J, et al. Cerebral blood flow in dementia. Arch Neurol 1975; 32(9):632-7.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2015; 5(1):20-23. © 2015 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.