Tashkent State Dental Institute; Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Saidmurodkhon S. Murtazaev, PhD. Head of the Pediatric Dentistry Department. Tashkent State Dental Institute. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: Saidmurodtma@mail.ru
Published: March 25, 2015. DOI: 10.21103/Article5(1)_D1
The aim of our work was to study anthropometric characteristics of jaws for Uzbek people with an orthognathic bite.
Material and Methods: The study included 42 ethnic Uzbeks (20 women and 22 men) aged from 17 to 25 years with a developed orthognatic bite; the control group consisted of the 25 age- and sex-matched Caucasians and Southern Altaians (mongoloids). The object of the research was 86 dental casts of upper and lower jaws of young Uzbek volunteers of both genders. Measurements were carried out on the plaster casts in sagittal and transversal directions using anthropometric measurement methods.
Results: The total width of 4 upper incisors in Uzbek females and males was less than that of South Altaians; the width of upper and lower dentitions at the level of the first premolars, second premolars and first molars was significantly more than that of Caucasians.
Conclusion: The ascertained features of the tooth size, the dentition size and form should be taken into account when the orthodontic arches are being chosen for treatment of dental and maxillary anomalies.
- AlHarbi S, Alkofide EA, AlMadi A. Mathematical analysis of dental arch curvature in normal occlusion. J Angle Orthod 2006; 78 (2):281-7.
- Bayome M, Sameshima GT, Nojima K, Baek SH, Kook YA. Comparison of arch forms between Egyptian and North American white populations. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011; 139(3):e245-52.
- Bharati S, Som S, Bharati P, Vasulu TS. Climate and head form in India. Am J Hum Biol 2001; 13(5):626-34.
- Gafni Y, Tzur-Gadassi L, Nojima K, McLaughlin RP, Abed Y, Redlich M. Comparison of arch forms between Israeli and North American white populations. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011; 139(3):339-44.
- Kook, YA, Nojima K, Moon HB, McLaughlin RP, Sinclair PM. Comparison of arch forms between Korean and North American white populations. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2004; 126(6):680-6.
- Burris BG, Harris EF. Maxillary arch size and shape in American blacks and whites. Angle Orthod 2000; 70(4):297-302.
- Baydik O.D. Morphological evaluation criteria orthognathic bite representatives of different ethnic groups. PhD Thesis. Barnaul; 2005.[in Russian]
- Hendrikson J, Persson M, Thilander B. Long-term stability of dental arch in normal occlusion from 13 to 31 years of age. Eur J Orthod 2001; 23(1):51-61.
- Kook YA, Bayome M, Park SB, Cha BK, Lee YW, Baek SH. Overjet at the anterior and posterior segments: three-dimensional analysis of arch coordination. Angle Orthod 2009; 79(3):495-501.
- Abu-Hussein M, Sarafianou A. Mathematical analysis of dental arch of children in normal occlusion. Intern J Med Dentistry 2012; 2(1):33-40.
- Nojima K, McLaughlin RP, Isshiki Y, Sinclair PM. A comparative study of Caucasian and Japanese mandibular clinical arch forms. Angle Orthod 2001; 71(3):195–200.
- Olmez S, Dogan S. Comparison of the arch forms and dimensions in various malocclusions of the Turkish population. Open J Stomatol 2011; 1:158-64
- Yun YK, Kook YA, Kim SH, Mo SS, Cha KS, Kim JG, et al. Mandibular clinical arch forms in Koreans with normal occlusions. Kor J Orthod 2004; 34:481-7.
- Kim BI, Bayome M, Kim Y, Baek SH, Han SH, Kim SH, et al. Comparison of overjet among 3 arch types in normal occlusion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011;139(3):e253-60.
- Pont A. Der zahnindex in der Orthodontie. Z Zahnartl Orthop 1909; 3:306-12.
- Linder H. Biometrische Untersuchungen des Normalgebisses in verschiedenen Lebensaltern. Fortschr Orthodont 1931; 1(22):211-4.
- Korkhaus G. G.GebiB, ed. Handbuch der Zahnheilkunde Kiefer- und Gesichtsorthopadie. Bd. IV. Bergmann, Munchen; 1939.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2015; 5(1):35-37. © 2015 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.