International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(3):221-225.
Originally published September 10, 2020
Background: The aim of this study is to use CT images to characterize the foramen magnum (FM) in a sample of Sudanese participants and examine the effect on FM diameter of patient height and the diameter of the base of the skull to help predict pathological conditions according to organ size.
Methods and Results: This study was conducted between January 2016 and March 2016 and included 50 patients (60% male and 40% female, aged between 20 and 85 years) with normal cranial CT images. The mean values of the FM sagittal diameter (FMSD) for female and male subjects were 35.80±2.88mm and 37.41±3.27mm, respectively. The mean values of the FM transverse diameter (FMTD) for female and male subjects were 28.8±1.96 mm and 30.93±2.95 mm, respectively. A weak direct correlation was found between FMSD and BSL (r=0.177), indicating that the diameter of the base of the skull is related to the measurement of the FM. Weak direct correlations were also found between patient height and FMSD (r=0.023) and patient height and BSL (r=0.044).
Conclusion: The effect of the diameter of the base of the skull on the FM diameters was very weak. There was a relationship between FMSD and patient height, although this correlation was weak.
1. Ellis H. Clinical anatomy, 3rd edn. J Anat. 1997;190(Pt4):631-632.
2. Iscan MY, Steyn M. The human skeleton in forensic medicine. Charles C Thomas Publisher; 2013.
3. Lashin HI, Eldeeb BS, Ghonem MM. Sex identification from foramen magnum using computed tomography scanning in a sample of Egyptian population. J Forensic Leg Med. 2019;19:100341.
4. Arnautović KI, Al-Mefty O, Husain M. Ventral foramen magnum meninigiomas. J Neurosurg. 2000;92(1 Suppl):71-80. doi:10.3171/spi.2000.92.1.0071
5. Bagley CA, Pindrik JA, Bookland MJ, Camara-Quintana JQ, Carson BS. Cervicomedullary decompression for foramen magnum stenosis in achondroplasia. J Neurosurg. 2006;104(3 Suppl):166-172. doi:10.3171/ped.2006.104.3.166
6. Kalender WA. Computed tomography: fundamentals, system technology, image quality, applications. John Wiley & Sons; 2011.
7. Dammann F, Bootz F, Cohnen M, Hassfeld S, Tatagiba M, Kösling S. Diagnostic imaging modalities in head and neck disease. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2014;111(23-24):417-423. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2014.0417
8. Ekizoglu O, Er A, Bozdag M, et al. Sex estimation of the tibia in modern Turkish: A computed tomography study. Leg Med (Tokyo). 2016;23:89-94. doi:10.1016/j.legalmed.2016.10.004
9. Edwards K, Viner M, Schweitzer W, et al. Sex determination from the foramen magnum. J Forensic Leg Med. 2013;1:186-192.
10. Gapert R, Black S, Last J. Sex determination from the foramen magnum: discriminant function analysis in an eighteenth and nineteenth century British sample. Int J Legal Med. 2009;123(1):25-33. doi:10.1007/s00414-008-0256-0
11. Catalina-Herrera CJ. Study of the anatomic metric values of the foramen magnum and its relation to sex. Acta Anat (Basel). 1987;130(4):344-347. doi:10.1159/000146468
12. Toneva D, Nikolova S, Harizanov S, et al. Sex estimation by size and shape of foramen magnum based on CT imaging. Leg Med (Tokyo). 2018;35:50-60. doi:10.1016/j.legalmed.2018.09.009
13. Gruber P, Henneberg M, Böni T, Rühli FJ. Variability of human foramen magnum size. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2009;292(11):1713-1719. doi:10.1002/ar.21005
14. Burdan F, Szumiło J, Walocha J, et al. Morphology of the foramen magnum in young Eastern European adults. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2012;71(4):205-216.
15. Natsis K, Piagkou M, Skotsimara G, Piagkos G, Skandalakis P. A morphometric anatomical and comparative study of the foramen magnum region in a Greek population. Surg Radiol Anat. 2013;35(10):925-934. doi:10.1007/s00276-013-1119-z
16. Akay G, Güngör K, Peker İ. Morphometric analysis of the foramen magnum using cone beam computed tomography. Turk J Med Sci. 2017;47(6):1715-1722. Published 2017 Dec 19. doi:10.3906/sag-1607-127
17. Uthman AT, Al-Rawi NH, Al-Timimi JF. Evaluation of foramen magnum in gender determination using helical CT scanning. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2012;41(3):197-202. doi:10.1259/dmfr/21276789
Received June 23, 2020.
Accepted July 28, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.