International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(4):369-372.
Originally published December 10, 2020
Background: The aim of this study was to assess the sperm quality and oxidative-antioxidant profile in men living in different regions of Siberia
Materials and Methods: The study involved 125 men of reproductive age: 40 men (mean age of 24.8 years) living in Ulan-Ude, 35 men (mean age of 24.1 years) in Irkutsk, and 50 men (mean age of 24.6 years) in Novosibirsk. All men belonged to the Caucasian race and were physically healthy. Methods of standard clinical examination of fertile and infertile men included: an ultrasonic scan of scrotum and prostate, macroscopic and microscopic examination of ejaculate, and biochemical analysis. The semen analysis was performed in accordance with the WHO recommendations (2010). The study of sperm quality included measuring the volume and pH of the ejaculate, the concentration of spermatozoa, the proportion of motile sperm of categories A and B, and lipid peroxidation-antioxidant activity products. Of the participants in the study, the group of somatically healthy men living in Irkutsk had the highest sperm count (mln per ml): 1.5 times more than men in Novosibirsk and 1.3 times more than men in Ulan-Ude. At the same time, in the group of men in Irkutsk, a significant increase in the concentration of α-tocopherol was revealed: 1.6 times more than the men in Ulan-Ude and 1.8 times more than the men in Novosibirsk.
Conclusion: The conducted studies of the quality of ejaculate and the characteristics of LPO processes in men from different cities of Siberia show that place of residence and ecological-geographical position are not the main reasons determining reproductive dysfunction, but can be important factors affecting the functioning of the reproductive system and determining the heterogeneity of male infertility in conditions of anthropogenic pressure.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Zagarskikh EYu, Dolgikh VV, Kurashova NA, Grebenkina LA, Dolgikh MI, Vlasov BYa. [Features of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant protection in adolescent boys in Irkutsk]. Reproductive Health of Children and Adolescents. 2009;5:63-67. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Kurashova NA, Osadchuk LV, Osadchuk AV, Dolgikh MI, Dashiev BG, Shantanova LN. Reproductive Health and Peculiarities of Lipid Peroxidation-Antioxidant Defense System in Men of the Main Ethnic Groups of the Baikal Region. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2015 Nov;160(1):32-4. doi: 10.1007/s10517-015-3091-6.
- Fatima S, Alwaznah R, Aljuraiban GS, Wasi S, Abudawood M, Abulmeaty M, Berika MY, Aljaser FS. Effect of seminal redox status on lipid peroxidation, apoptosis and DNA fragmentation in spermatozoa of infertile Saudi males. Saudi Med J. 2020 Mar;41(3):238-246. doi: 10.15537/smj.2020.3.24975.
- Kurashova NA. [Assessment of the reproductive potential of the male population]. Bulletin of ESSC SB RAMS. 2014;96(2):104-109. [Article in Russian].
- Panner Selvam MK, Finelli R, Agarwal A, Henkel R. Proteomics and metabolomics - Current and future perspectives in clinical andrology. Andrologia. 2020 Jun 29:e13711. doi: 10.1111/and.13711.
- Murgia F, Corda V, Serrenti M, Usai V, Santoru ML, Hurt KJ, Passaretti M, Monni MC, Atzori L, Monni G. Seminal Fluid Metabolomic Markers of Oligozoospermic Infertility in Humans. Metabolites. 2020 Feb 11;10(2):64. doi: 10.3390/metabo10020064.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kurashova NA, Bairova TA, Dolgikh MI, Ershova OA, Natyaganova LV, Dashiev BG, Gutnik IN, Koroleva NV. Features of Lipoperoxidation, Antioxidant Defense, and Thiol/Disulfide System in the Pathogenesis of Infertility in Males, Carriers of Nonfunctional Variants of GSTT1 and GSTM1 Gene Polymorphisms. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2017 Jul;163(3):378-380. doi: 10.1007/s10517-017-3808-9.
- Kurashova NA, Dolgikh MI, Ershova OA, Gavrilova OA, Osipova EV, Dashiev BG, et al. Associations of Polymorphic Variants of the Biotransformation Genes with the Components of the Glutathione System in Men with Infertility. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2017;7(3):226-230. doi: 10.21103/Article7(3)_OA13
- Kurashova NA, Dashiev BG, Dolgikh MI, Kolesnikovа LI. The Processes of Lipoperoxidation and Antioxidant Protection in Men with Different Variants of Spermograms. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(2):168-171. doi: 10.21103/Article9(2)_OA18
- Belenkaia LV, Sholokhov LF, Kolesnikova LI. Levels of essential elements in pubic hair of men with type 1 diabetes. Endocrine Rev. 2017; 38(S3): 169-170.
- Robert KA, Sharma R, Henkel R, Agarwal A. An update on the techniques used to measure oxidative stress in seminal plasma. Andrologia. 2020 Aug 19:e13726. doi: 10.1111/and.13726. Epub ahead of print.
- Barik G, Chaturvedula L, Bobby Z. Role of Oxidative Stress and Antioxidants in Male Infertility: An Interventional Study. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2019 Jul-Sep;12(3):204-209. doi: 10.4103/jhrs.JHRS_135_18.
- Kurashova NA, Madaeva IM, Kolesnikova LI. [Expression of heat shock proteins HSP70 under oxidative stress.]. Adv Gerontol. 2019;32(4):502-508. [Article in Russian].
- Kolesnikova LI, Madaeva IM, Semenova NV, Vlasov BY, Grebenkina LA, Darenskaya MA, Dolgikh MI. Antioxidant potential of the blood in men with obstructive sleep breathing disorders. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2013 Apr;154(6):731-3. doi: 10.1007/s10517-013-2041-4.
- Dutta S, Majzoub A, Agarwal A. Oxidative stress and sperm function: A systematic review on evaluation and management. Arab J Urol. 2019 Apr 24;17(2):87-97. doi: 10.1080/2090598X.2019.1599624.
- Agarwal A, Sengupta P. Oxidative Stress and Its Association with Male Infertility. In Parekattil SJ, Esteves SC, Agarwal A., editors. Male Infertility: Contemporary Clinical Approaches, Andrology, ART and Antioxidants. Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020:57-68.
- Agarwal A, Leisegang K, Sengupta P. Oxidative stress in pathologies of male reproductive disorders. In Preedy V. editor. Pathology: Oxidative Stress and Dietary Antioxidants. Elsevier; 2020:15-27.
- Kurashova NA, Dashiev BG, Dolgikh MI, Kudeyarova EA, Labygina AV, Bairova TA, Kolesnikovа LI. Association of Lipid Peroxidation/Antioxidant System Activity with Glutathione S-Transferase P1 Polymorphisms in Infertile Men. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):329-333. doi: 10.21103/Article9(4)_OA11
- Kolesnikova LI, Kurashova NA, Osadchuk LV, Osadchuk AV, Dolgikh MI, Dashiev BG. Parameters of Pro- and Antioxidant Status in Ejaculate of Men of Fertile Age. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2015 Oct;159(6):726-8. doi: 10.1007/s10517-015-3059-6.
- WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen - 5th ed. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/44261/9789241547789_eng...
- Gavrilov VB, Mishkorudnaya MI. [Spectrophotometric determination of the content of lipid hydroperoxes in the blood plasma]. Lab Delo. 1983;(3)33-36. [Article in Russian].
- Gavrilov VB, Gavrilova AR, Mazhul' LM. [Methods of determining lipid peroxidation products in the serum using a thiobarbituric acid test]. Vopr Med Khim. 1987;33(1):118-22. [Article in Russian].
- Cherniauskene RCh, Varshkiavichene ZZ, Gribauskas PS. [Simultaneous fluorometric determination of the concentrations of vitamins E and A in blood serum]. Lab Delo. 1984;(6):362-5.[Article in Russian].
- Klebanov GI, Babenkova IV, Teselkin IuO, Komarov OS, Vladimirov IuA. [Evaluation of the antioxidative activity of blood plasma using yolk lipoproteins]. Lab Delo. 1988;(5):59-62. [Article in Russian].
Received September 28, 2020.
Accepted November 10, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.