International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(4):453-456.
Originally published December 10, 2020
The purpose of our study was to develop and test a program for treating anxiety and hostility in adolescents with psychosomatic diseases (PSDs) by means of art therapy.
Methods and Results: This study included 20 patients with PSDs aged between 15 years and 17 years. The patients’ examination included clinical data analysis, using standard records, and testing, using a questionnaire to reveal the severity of psychopathological symptoms (SCL–90–R, adapted by Tarabrina et al. 1997) and the Bekhterev Institute Personality Questionnaire (BIPQ, 1980). Art therapy sessions were conducted from 11:00 a.m. till 1:00 p.m., which coincides with the transition in the daily rhythm of autonomic nervous system activity and is more suitable for the reserve capabilities of the body. The course consisted of 10 daily 1.5-hour procedures. The controlled study duration was 10±2 days. The examination showed that adolescents with PSDs had an above-normal "Anxiety" (ANX) indicator, according to the SCL-90-R method, and a high score for the "Anxious" type (AT) of attitude toward the disease, according to the Bekhterev Institute Personality Questionnaire (BIPQ).
Conclusion: Art therapy for treatment of adolescents with PSD contributed to a normalization of their emotional state, helped them gain new experience in solving problems, and improved the quality of life.
1. Kolesnikova LI, Dolgikh VV, Dzyatkovskaya EN, Polyakov VM. [Features of psychosomatic status in preschool and school-age children]. Bulletin of the East Siberian Scientific Center SBRAMS;2003;23(2):17-23.[Article in Russian].
2. Kolesnikova L, Dzyatkovskaya E, Rychkova L, Polyakov V. New approaches to identifying children of psychosomatic disorders risk group. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences;2015:882-889.
3. Alekseeva EM, Ammosova AM. [Psychological rehabilitation of children and adolescents with increased anxiety against the background of psychosomatic diseases]. Medical rehabilitation in pediatric practice: achievements, conferences with international participation, 01.07.2013, Yakutsk, М. К. Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University [Electronic medium]. Edited by Prof. NV Savvina. Kirov: International Center for Research Projects; 2013;2(13):26-30. [Article in Russian].
4. Korabelnikova EA. [Anxiety disorders in adolescents]. Medical Council; 2018;18:34-42. [Article in Russian].
5. Kolesnikova LI, Dzyatkovskaya EN, Dolgikh VV, Polyakov VM, Rychkova LV. Adaptive development strategy for preserving the health of schoolchildren.
M; 2015:176.[In Russian].
6. Mendelevich VD, Solovyova LM. Neurosology and psychosomatic medicine. M.: MEDpress-inform; 2002. [In Russian].
7. Roshchenko TA, Radionov GA. [Features of emotional disorders in adolescents with various psychosomatic diseases]. Problems of Theory and Practice of Modern Psychology [Electronic resource]: Materials of the XVIII annual All-Russian conference with international participation. 2019:323-325
8. Schachter S, Singer J. Cognitive, social and psychological determinants of emotional state. In: Parrot WG, editor. Emotions in social psychology. Essential readings. Philadelphia: Psychology Press; 2001:76-93.
9. Thoits PA. Emotion norms, emotion work, and social order. Feelings and emotions: The Amsterdam symposium. N.Y.: Cambridge Univ. Press; 2004:359-379. Thoits PA. Emotion Norms, Emotion Work, and Social Order. In Manstead ASR, Frijda N, Fischer A, editors. Studies in emotion and social interaction. Feelings and emotions: The Amsterdam symposium. Cambridge University Press. 2004:359–378.
10. Leyens JP, Paladino PM, Rodriguez-Torres R, Vaes J. The Emotional Side of Prejudice: The Attribution of Secondary Emotion to Ingroups and Outgroups. Personality and Social Psychology Review. 2000;4:186-197.
11. Artyukhina NV. Psychological support of personality development by means of art therapy. Textbook. Odessa; 2015:138.[In Russian].
12. Mukhina VS. Age-related psychology. Phenomenology of development: Textbook. 10th Edition, Revised and Enlarged. M.: "Academy"; 2006: 410-475. [In Russian].
13. Lebedeva LD. Art therapy practice: approaches, diagnostics, training system. SPb.: Rech; 2003:256. [In Russian].
Received October 2, 2020.
Accepted November 18, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.