International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(4):472-474.
Originally published December 10, 2020
Uterine arteriovenous malformation (AVM) is a rare condition that threatens severe uterine bleeding. We present a patient with this pathology, who was hospitalized twice within 5 months in serious condition, because she refused a hysterectomy. Ultrasonography of the uterus detected a vascular formation, the nature of which could be identified only on computed tomography (CT) angiography. Afferent vessels were embolized twice, and after the condition was stabilized, we performed a hysterectomy. For a long time, there was no recurrence of bleeding. The foregoing allows us to recommend the described tactics for the diagnosis and treatment of uterine AVM in women in similar clinical situations.
- Cura M, Martinez N, Cura A, Dalsaso TJ, Elmerhi F. Arteriovenous malformations of the uterus. Acta Radiol. 2009 Sep;50(7):823-9. doi: 10.1080/02841850903008792..
- Brown JV 3rd, Asrat T, Epstein HD, Oglevie S, Goldstein BH. Contemporary diagnosis and management of a uterine arteriovenous malformation. Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Aug;112(2 Pt 2):467-70. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181719f7d.
- Burrows PE. Vascular malformations involving the female pelvis. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2008 Dec;25(4):347-60. doi: 10.1055/s-0028-1102993.
- Kuwata T, Matsubara S, Kaneko Y, Izumi A, Nakata M, Suzuki M. Asymptomatic uterine artery pseudoaneurysm after cesarean section. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2010 Apr;36(2):405-10. doi: 10.1111/j.1447-0756.2009.01134.x.
- Nagayama C, Gibo M, Nitta H, Uezato T, Hirakawa M, Masamoto H, Sakumoto K, Aoki Y. Rupture of pseudoaneurysm after vaginal delivery successfully treated by selective arterial embolization. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2011 Jan;283(1):37-40. doi: 10.1007/s00404-009-1271-1.
- Kim YA, Han YH, Jun KC, Jeon MK, Lee ES. Uterine artery pseudoaneurysm manifesting delayed postabortal bleeding. Fertil Steril. 2008 Sep;90(3):849.e11-4. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2007.07.1372.
- Timmerman D, Wauters J, Van Calenbergh S, Van Schoubroeck D, Maleux G, Van Den Bosch T, Spitz B. Color Doppler imaging is a valuable tool for the diagnosis and management of uterine vascular malformations. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Jun;21(6):570-7. doi: 10.1002/uog.159.
- Grivell RM, Reid KM, Mellor A. Uterine arteriovenous malformations: a review of the current literature. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2005 Nov;60(11):761-7. doi: 10.1097/01.ogx.0000183684.67656.ba.
- Müngen E. Vascular abnormalities of the uterus: have we recently over-diagnosed them? Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Jun;21(6):529-31. doi: 10.1002/uog.163.
Received October 10, 2020.
Accepted November 20, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.