International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(4):347-351.
Originally published December 10, 2020
Background: The aim of this study was to assess the effect of wrist tapping (WT), according to the author's method, on the synchronization of alpha activity in healthy adults and patients with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME).
Methods and Results:The study included 71 people of working age, including 51 clinically healthy volunteers (median age - 39[21;56] years) and 20 patients with JME (median age 27[23;35] years). Under the influence of WT in a state of sensory deprivation, statistically significant changes in the alpha peak frequency (APF) (P<0.001) and alpha power (AP) (P<0.05) were found in healthy adults. In JME patients, there were statistically significant changes in the APF (P<0.05) and AP (P<0.05), as well as a statistically significant increase in the ARW (P<0.05) after WT. WT, according to the author's technique, allows reducing the severity of alpha rhythm synchronization and leads to a shift in the peak frequency of the alpha rhythm in the occipital leads towards the alpha-2 sub-frequency range and a decrease in AP in both healthy volunteers and JME patients. At the same time, the alpha range width in the occipital leads is statistically significantly increased in JME patients.
Conclusion:The nature of the change in the alpha rhythm, in comparison with the control, indicates the phenomenon of resonance with the frequency of the WT rhythm. The WT effect testifies to the prospects of the clinical application of WT in JME, since it was previously shown that if the selected external frequencies enter into resonance with the neurons of the antiepileptic system, then an antiepileptic effect could be obtained.
- Rudnev V.A. Functional diagnostics and restoration of voluntary movements in Central nervous system pathology. Krasnoyarsk: Publishing house of Krasnoyarsk University; 1982. (In Russian).
- Narodova EA, Rudnev VA, Shnayder NA, Narodova VV, Erahtin EE, Dmitrenko DV, et al. Parameters of the Wrist Tapping using a Modification of the Original Method (Method of exogenous rhythmic stimulation influence on an individual human rhythm). International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(2):155-158. doi: 10.21103/Article8(2)_OA10.
- Beamanoir A, Mira L. Secondary bilateral synchrony significant EEG pattern in frontal lobe seizures. In: Beamanoir A, Andermann F, Chauvel P, Mira L, Zifkin B. eds. Frontal Lobe Seizures and Epilepsies in Children. Milan, Italy: John Libby Eurotext; 2003:195-205.
- Unterberger I. Focal seizure semiology in generalized epilepsies. Epilepsia. 2004;45(Suppl. 3):46.
- Leutmezer F. Focal EEG signs in generalized epilepsies. Epilepsia. 2004;45(Suppl. 3):46-47.
- Koepp M.J. Focal structural abnormalities in generalized epilepsies. Epilepsia. 2004;45(Suppl. 3):47.
- Janz D. Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (Janz syndrome) - a frontal lobe epilepsy? Epilepsia. 2004;45(Suppl. 3):47.
- Shnayder N, Narodova E, Narodova V, Narodov A, Erahtin E. The Role of Nondrug Treatment Methods in the Management of Epilepsy, Epilepsy - Advances in Diagnosis and Therapy. doi: 10.5772/intechopen.81912. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/epilepsy-advances-in-diagnosis-and-therapy/the-role-of-nondrug-treatment-methods-in-the-management-of-epilepsy
- Narodova EA, Rudnev VA, Shnayder NA, Narodov AA, Erakhtin EE. Comparison of Wrist Tapping Parameters in Healthy Adults with and Without Anxiety Using a Modified Original Technique. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(3):240-243. doi: 10.21103/Article8(3)_OA15.
- Narodova EA, Shnayder NA, Narodova VV, Erahtin EE, Shilkina OS, Moskaleva PV. Influence of anxiety on wrist tapping parameters and individual perception of one minute in healthy adults and in patients with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Psihosomaticheskie i integrativnye issledovanija – Psychosomatic and Integrative Research. 2018;4:0404. (In Russian).
- Zhuravlev B.V. Reverberation cycling between nerve cells of the brain as a mechanism of self-regulating systems of the body. Moscow: Research Institute of Normal Physiology named after P.K. Anokhin RAMS; 2006. (In Russian).
- Soroko SI, Aldasheva A.A. Individual strategies of human adaptation under extreme conditions. Fiziologija cheloveka. 2012;38(6):78-86. (Article in Russian).
- Ivanitsky AM, Nikolaev AR, Ivanitsky GA. Cortical connectivity during word association search. Int J Psychophysiol. 2001 Aug;42(1):35-53. doi: 10.1016/s0167-8760(01)00140-4. PMID: 11451478.
- Nunez PL, Wingeier BM, Silberstein RB. Spatial-temporal structures of human alpha rhythms: theory, microcurrent sources, multiscale measurements, and global binding of local networks. Hum Brain Mapp. 2001 Jul;13(3):125-64. doi: 10.1002/hbm.1030.
- Smith T, Panfil K, Bailey C, Kirkpatrick K. Cognitive and behavioral training interventions to promote self-control. J Exp Psychol Anim Learn Cogn. 2019 Jul;45(3):259-279. doi: 10.1037/xan0000208.
- Hutchison RM, Morton JB. Tracking the Brain's Functional Coupling Dynamics over Development. J Neurosci. 2015 Apr 29;35(17):6849-59. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4638-14.2015.
- Li T, Lindsley K, Rouse B, Hong H, Shi Q, Friedman DS, Wormald R, Dickersin K. Comparative Effectiveness of First-Line Medications for Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2016 Jan;123(1):129-40. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.09.005.
- Robinson CA, Denison C, Burkenstock A, Nutter C, Gordon DM. Cellular conditions that modulate the fungicidal activity of occidiofungin. J Appl Microbiol. 2017 Aug;123(2):380-391. doi: 10.1111/jam.13496.
- Liu J., Kummerow C.D., Elsaesser G.S. Identifying and analysing uncertainty structures in the TRMM microwave imager precipitation product over tropical ocean basins. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 2017;38:23-42. DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2016.1259676.
- Yacoubian TA. Neurodegenerative disorders: Why do we need new therapies? In: Drug discovery approaches for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders. Academic Press, 2017:1-16. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-802810-0.00001-5.
- Dong X, Milholland B, Vijg J. Evidence for a limit to human lifespan. Nature. 2016 Oct 13;538(7624):257-259. doi: 10.1038/nature19793.
- Wang Y, Berglund IS, Uppman M, Li TQ. Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy has hyper dynamic functional connectivity in the dorsolateral frontal cortex. Neuroimage Clin. 2019;21:101604. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2018.11.014.
Received September 12, 2020.
Accepted October 13, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.