International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(1):61-64.
Originally published March 5, 2021
The novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and the disease it causes, COVID-19, along with damage to the respiratory system, can lead to disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system, as well as the muscular system. The article presents literature data and the authors’ observations of the course of neurological disorders in a patient with COVID-19. This study found that there is a link between the severity of COVID-19 and the intensity and frequency of neurological disorders.
- WHO. Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Situation Report – 209. Available at https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/2.... Data as received by WHO from national authorities by 10:00 CEST, 16 August 2020
- WHO. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Available at https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/2.... Data as received by WHO from national authorities, as of 10 am CEST 20 September 2020
- Cutler DM, Summers LH. The COVID-19 Pandemic and the $16 Trillion Virus. JAMA. 2020 Oct 20;324(15):1495-1496. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.19759.
- Karpova OV, Udalov YuD, Samoylov AS, Kudryavtsev RA. Features of Case Management with Neuromuscular Disease During COVID-19. Clinical Impression. Journal of Clinical Practice. 2020;11(2):107–117. doi: 10.17816/clinpract34580
- Rao GHR. SARS-CoV-2 Biochemistry, Transmission, Clinical Manifestations, and Prevention. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020; 10(4):303-311. Doi: 10.21103/Article10(4)_GE
- Burki T. The origin of SARS-CoV-2. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020 Sep;20(9):1018-1019. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30641-1.
- Wang H, Li X, Li T, Zhang S, Wang L, Wu X, Liu J. The genetic sequence, origin, and diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2020 Sep;39(9):1629-1635. doi: 10.1007/s10096-020-03899-4.
- Severe Covid-19 GWAS Group, Ellinghaus D, Degenhardt F, Bujanda L, Buti M, Albillos A, Invernizzi P, et al. Genomewide Association Study of Severe Covid-19 with Respiratory Failure. N Engl J Med. 2020 Oct 15;383(16):1522-1534. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2020283.
- Mao L, Jin H, Wang M, Hu Y, Chen S, He Q, Chang J, Hong C, Zhou Y, Wang D, Miao X, Li Y, Hu B. Neurologic Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Neurol. 2020 Jun 1;77(6):683-690. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2020.1127.
- Ruan Q, Yang K, Wang W, Jiang L, Song J. Clinical predictors of mortality due to COVID-19 based on an analysis of data of 150 patients from Wuhan, China. Intensive Care Med. 2020 May;46(5):846-848. doi: 10.1007/s00134-020-05991-x.
- Baird GS, Montine TJ. Multiplex immunoassay analysis of cytokines in idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008 Feb;132(2):232-8. doi: 10.1043/1543-2165(2008)132[232:MIAOCI]2.0.CO;2.
- Rodionova OV, Sorokoumov VА. Neurological diseases in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic (review of the literature). The Scientific Notes of the Pavlov University. 2020;27(2):18-24. [Article in Russian].
- Gusev EI, Martynov MY, Boyko AN, Voznyuk IA, Latsh NY, Sivertseva SA, Spirin NN, Shamalov NA. Novaya koronavirusnaya infektsiya (COVID-19) i porazhenie nervnoi sistemy: mekhanizmy nevrologicheskikh rasstroistv, klinicheskie proyavleniya, organizatsiya nevrologicheskoi pomoshchi [Novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) and nervous system involvement: pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, organization of neurological care]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2020;120(6):7-16. doi: 10.17116/jnevro20201200617. [Article in Russian].
- Tanashyan MM. Kuznetsova PI, Raskurazhev AA. Neurological aspects of COVID-19. Annaly Klinicheskoi i Eksperimental’noi Nevrologii. 2020;14(2):62–69. [Article in Russian].
- Kutashov VA., Protasov IS. Recommendations for the management of patients with acute cerebrovascular accidents in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N.Burdenko; 2020. [In Russian].
Received December 31, 2020.
Accepted January 30, 2021.