International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(1):14-17.
Originally published March 5, 2021
Background: This article analyzes iatrogenic injuries of the breast that happen during puncture procedures.
Methods and Results: We have analyzed the data of 2075 invasive diagnostic procedures related to both benign and malignant breast neoplasms, conducted in various healthcare facilities in the Russian Federation. A subcutaneous hematoma is the primary iatrogenic injury that occurs during breast puncture procedures conducted in Russian healthcare facilities. This is the most common complication during an ultrasound-guided CB (44.4%). The likelihood that this complication will occur is impossible to predict.
Conclusion:The proper arrangements and patient follow-up before and after the biopsy, along with the selection of a proper invasive procedure for a pathologic neoplasm, will minimize the number of diagnostic iatrogenic injuries and improve the quality of medical care.
- Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin. 2018 Nov;68(6):394-424. doi: 10.3322/caac.21492.
- Rana C, Ramakant P, Babu S, Singh K, Mishra A, Mouli S. Unusual Breast Neoplasm with Diagnostic and Management Challenges. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2018 Sep;9(3):328-335. doi: 10.1007/s13193-018-0781-3.
- Yaffe MJ, Mittmann N, Alagoz O, Trentham-Dietz A, Tosteson AN, Stout NK. The effect of mammography screening regimen on incidence-based breast cancer mortality. J Med Screen. 2018 Dec;25(4):197-204. doi: 10.1177/0969141318780152.
- Stachs A, Stubert J, Reimer T, Hartmann S. Benign Breast Disease in Women. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2019 Aug 9;116(33-34):565-574. doi: 10.3238/arztebl.2019.0565.
- Salzman B, Collins E, Hersh L. Common Breast Problems. Am Fam Physician. 2019 Apr 15;99(8):505-514. PMID: 30990294.
- Bennett IC, Saboo A. The Evolving Role of Vacuum Assisted Biopsy of the Breast: A Progression from Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy. World J Surg. 2019 Apr;43(4):1054-1061. doi: 10.1007/s00268-018-04892-x.
- Suganthan N, Ratnasamy V. Mondor's disease - a rare cause of chest pain: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2018 Jan 9;12(1):4. doi: 10.1186/s13256-017-1530-x.
- Lin LLY, Gao Y, Lewin AA, Toth HK, Heller SL, Moy L. Overstated Harms of Breast Cancer Screening? A Large Outcomes Analysis of Complications Associated With 9-Gauge Stereotactic Vacuum-Assisted Breast Biopsy. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2019 Apr;212(4):925-932. doi: 10.2214/AJR.18.20421.
- Bick U, Trimboli RM, Athanasiou A, Balleyguier C, Baltzer PAT, Bernathova M, et al.; European Society of Breast Imaging (EUSOBI), with language review by Europa Donna–The European Breast Cancer Coalition. Image-guided breast biopsy and localisation: recommendations for information to women and referring physicians by the European Society of Breast Imaging. Insights Imaging. 2020 Feb 5;11(1):12. doi: 10.1186/s13244-019-0803-x.
- Kong YC, Bhoo-Pathy N, O'Rorke M, Subramaniam S, Bhoo-Pathy NT, See MH, Jamaris S, Teoh KH, Bustam AZ, Looi LM, Taib NA, Yip CH. The association between methods of biopsy and survival following breast cancer: A hospital registry based cohort study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2020 Feb;99(6):e19093. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000019093.
Received November 21, 2020.
Accepted December 19, 2020.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.