International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(1):96-98.
Originally published March 5, 2021
Background: The method of dermotension is successfully used in surgical practice to close extensive defects or as a result of treating fractures using the Ilizarov apparatus. However, to obtain the desired result, surgeons often neglect the condition of the skin flap itself. In this regard, the purpose of our study was to study the dynamics of changes in fibrous structures in the dermis of the skin during dermotension.
Methods and Results: The material for the 14-day study was a skin flap of Wistar rats obtained after distraction with the Ilizarov apparatus. Analyzing the morphological picture of the state of the dermis after the study, we found a decrease in the thickness of both the epidermis and the dermis by 2.3 and 3.3 times, respectively. A decrease in the density of collagen structures of both types I and III was also noted.
Conclusion: The results obtained indicate the restructuring, first of all, of the fibrous component of the dermis, which consists in reparative-restorative processes, which must be taken into account when choosing the rate and duration of dermotension.
- Martel II, Grebenyuk LA, Dolganova TI. [Elimination of an extensive femoral soft-tissue defect using dermotension according to Ilizarov technology]. ORTHOPAEDIC GENIUS. 2016; (4): 109-113. [Article in Russian].
- Bogosyan RA. [Expander dermotension – a new method for surgical filling of skin defects. Modern Technologies in Medicine]. 2011;2:31-34. [Article in Russian].
- Filippova OV, Baindurashvili AG, Afonichev KA, Vashetko RV. [Surgical treatment of children with scars on the lower leg and in the area of Achilles tendon using expander dermatension]. Traumatology and Orthopaedics of Russia. 2015; 1 (75): 74-82. [Article in Russian].
- Grebenyuk LA, Kobyzev AE, Grebenyuk EB, Ivliev DS. [The technique of determining plastic reserves of the skin in patients with orthopedic pathology]. Medical Science and Education of Ural. 2013; 14(4): 11-17. [Article in Russian].
- Mishina ES, Omelyanenko NP, Kovalev AV, Volkov AV, Smorchkov MM. [Structural dynamics of the skin when modeling dermotension]. Annals of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery. 2018;4:10. [Article in Russian].
- Dąbrowska AK, Spano F, Derler S, Adlhart C, Spencer ND, Rossi RM. The relationship between skin function, barrier properties, and body-dependent factors. Skin Res Technol. 2018 May;24(2):165-174. doi: 10.1111/srt.12424.
- Maiti R, Gerhardt LC, Lee ZS, Byers RA, Woods D, Sanz-Herrera JA, Franklin SE, Lewis R, Matcher SJ, Carré MJ. In vivo measurement of skin surface strain and sub-surface layer deformation induced by natural tissue stretching. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2016 Sep;62:556-569. doi: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2016.05.035.
- Svoboda M, Bílková Z, Muthný T. Could tight junctions regulate the barrier function of the aged skin? J Dermatol Sci. 2016 Mar;81(3):147-52. doi: 10.1016/j.jdermsci.2015.11.009.
- Dibirov M, Gadzhimuradov R, Koreiba K, Minabutdinov A, Biomedical Technologies in the Treatment of Skin and Soft Tissue. Defects in Patients with Diabetic Foot Syndrome. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2016;6(1):41-45.
Received December 15, 2020.
Accepted January 15, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.