International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(3):296-300.
Originally published September 9, 2021
The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of alpha-tocopherol acetate (ATA) on the activity of free-radical oxidation (FRO) in renal tissue and renal function in rats with experimental streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes mellitus (DM).
Methods and Results: Experiments were conducted on 22 male Wistar rats aged 60-100 days and weighing 250-300g. The animals were divided into two groups (Group 1 (control) and Group 2 (experimental. To induce DM, the animals were injected intraperitoneally 1ml of STZ solution in the citrate buffer at a dose of 65mg/kg. For more selective modeling of type 2 DM, the rats were previously injected with an intraperitoneal solution of cytoflavin based on a nicotinamide dose of 115mg/kg In Croup 2, ATA was administered in the period from the fifth to eighth weeks, inclusive, intragastrically through a tube at a daily dose of 300mg/kg.
Experiments showed that after a 4-week course of ATA, the concentration of thiobarbiturate-reactive products in the kidney tissues of the rats in Group 2 was 5.3 times lower than in Group 1. The activity of all antioxidant enzymes did not differ between the two groups. In both groups, during all 8 weeks of the experiment, the levels of renal excretion of glucose, protein, and creatinine significantly exceeded the initial level, while the level of diuresis remained stable.
Conclusion: The long-term administration of ATA in experimental streptozotocin (STZ)-induced DM is accompanied by a significant suppression of the activity of the FRO processes in the kidneys, but does not lead to an improvement in the course of DN.
- Sagoo MK, Gnudi L. Diabetic nephropathy: Is there a role for oxidative stress? Free Radic Biol Med. 2018 Feb 20;116:50-63. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2017.12.040.
- Balabolkin MI, Klebanova EM. [The role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of vascular complications of diabetes (lecture)]. Problems of Endocrinology. 2000;46(6):29-34. [Article in Russian].
- Kaneto H, Katakami N, Matsuhisa M, Matsuoka TA. Role of reactive oxygen species in the progression of type 2 diabetes and atherosclerosis. Mediators Inflamm. 2010;2010:453892. doi: 10.1155/2010/453892.
- Filinova SO, Zharikov AYu, Mazko ON, Makarova OG, Balandovich BA. Indicators of pro-oxidant and antioxidant status in kidneys of rats with experimental diabetes. Pathological physiology and experimental therapy. 2020;64(1):124-127.
- Borisenok OA, Bushma MI, Basalay ON, Radkovets AYu. [Biological Role of Glutathione]. Meditsinskie novosti. 2019;7(298): 3-8. [Article in Russian].
- Putt DA, Zhong Q, Lash LH. Adaptive changes in renal mitochondrial redox status in diabetic nephropathy. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012 Jan 15;258(2):188-98. doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2011.10.021.
- Kulinsky VI, Kolesnichenko LS. [The biological role of glutathione]. Uspehi Sovremennoj Biologii. 1990;110(1):20-37. [Article in Russian].
- Kulinsky VI, Kolesnichenko LS. [Glutathione exchange]. Advances in biological chemistry. 1990;31:157-179. [Article in Russian].
- Cohen MP, Ziyadeh FN. Role of Amadori-modified nonenzymatically glycated serum proteins in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1996 Feb;7(2):183-90. doi: 10.1681/ASN.V72183.
- Kilhovd BK, Giardino I, Torjesen PA, Birkeland KI, Berg TJ, Thornalley PJ, Brownlee M, Hanssen KF. Increased serum levels of the specific AGE-compound methylglyoxal-derived hydroimidazolone in patients with type 2 diabetes. Metabolism. 2003 Feb;52(2):163-7. doi: 10.1053/meta.2003.50035.
- Cadenas E, Davies KJ. Mitochondrial free radical generation, oxidative stress, and aging. Free Radic Biol Med. 2000 Aug;29(3-4):222-30. doi: 10.1016/s0891-5849(00)00317-8.
- Zanella MT, Ribeiro AB. The role of angiotensin II antagonism in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a review of renoprotection studies. Clin Ther. 2002 Jul;24(7):1019-34. doi: 10.1016/s0149-2918(02)80016-9.
- Brownlee M. Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications. Nature. 2001 Dec 13;414(6865):813-20. doi: 10.1038/414813a.
- Bhattacharjee N, Barma S, Konwar N, Dewanjee S, Manna P. Mechanistic insight of diabetic nephropathy and its pharmacotherapeutic targets: An update. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016 Nov 15;791:8-24. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2016.08.022.
- Novikov VE, Levchenkova OS, Pozhilova YV. [Role of reactive oxygen species in cell physiology and pathology and their pharmacological regulation]. Reviews on Clinical Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 2014;12(4):13-21. [Article in Russian].
- Gnudi L. Podocytes and the struggle against glucose toxicity: new targets for treatment? Metabolism. 2012 Aug;61(8):1051-4. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2012.01.015.
- Bobkova IN, Shestakova MV, Shchukina AA. Diabetic Nephropathy - Focus on Podocytes Damage. Nephrology (Saint-Petersburg). 2015;19(2):33-44. [Article in Russian].
- Kim NH. Podocyte hypertrophy in diabetic nephropathy. Nephrology (Carlton). 2005 Oct;10 Suppl:S14-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1797.2005.00450.x.
- Spasov AA, Vorohkova MP, Snegur GL, Cheplyaeva NI, Chepurnova MV. Experimental Model of Type 2 Diabetes. Biomedicine 2011;(3):12-18. [Article in Russian].
- Filinova SO, Zharikov AY, Bobrov IP, Mazko ON, Makarova OG. Pathomorphological picture of diabetic nephropathy in experimental diabetes mellitus. Kazan Medical Journal 2019;100(1):147-152. [Article in Russian].
- Zharikov AYu, Filinova SO, Mazko ON, Makarova OG, Korenovsky YuV, Lepilov AV, Bobrov IP, Azarova OV. Comparison of the Pathological Picture of Experimental Diabetic Nephropathy in Rats at Early (1 month) and Late (8 months) Stages. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):345-349. doi: 10.21103/Article9(4)_OA14
- Zharikov AYu, Talalaeva OS, Zverev YaF, Lampatov VV, Azarova OV, Kudinov AV, Motin YuG. The role of antioxidant therapy in experimental pharmacological correction of nephrolithiasis. Nephrology (Saint-Petersburg). 2010;14(4):53-58. [Article in Russian].
- Hayashi D, Ueda S, Yamanoue M, Ashida H, Shirai Y. Amelioration of diabetic nephropathy by oral administration of d-α-tocopherol and its mechanisms. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2018 Jan;82(1):65-73. doi: 10.1080/09168451.2017.1411184.
- Bondar' IA, Klimentov VV. Antioxidants in the treatment and prevention of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes mellitus. 2001;4(1):47-52. [Article in Russian].
- Kuznetsov NS, Abulela AM, Neskoromny VN. Antioxidants (alpha-Tocopherol acetate) in the therapy of diabetes mellitus. Problems of Endocrinology. 1993;39(2):9-11. [Article in Russian].
Received June 11, 2021.
Accepted July 22, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.