International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(3):337-341.
Originally published September 9, 2021
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of methods for studying the neuropsychiatric development of children in regards to screening for the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) with the example of educational institutions in the Irkutsk region.
Methods and Results: Two groups of children in educational institutions of the Irkutsk region regional center were studied: 187 children of preschool age (from 5 to 6 years) and 154 children studying at school (from 7 to 11 years). This study used the methods of neuropsychiatric research used by the pediatric service and the methods of screening diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). It was shown that the level of obvious anxiety of schoolchildren (according to the scale developed by A.M. Prihozhan) was higher than in preschoolers and was 10.3±0.1% in girls and 10.6±0.2% in boys. Bad appetite was observed in 50.3±3.7% of preschool children and in 56.5±4.0% of schoolchildren. The selective appetite was observed in 16.6±2.7% of preschool children and in 7.1±2.1% of schoolchildren. The study of hyperactive traits showed that only 5.3±1.6% of parents of preschool children noted hyperactivity in their children while educators considered that 22.5±3.1% were hyperactive. The parents noted hyperactivity in 9.7±2.4% of children, and the teachers noted hyperactivity in 21.7±3.4% of children. The intellectual development of children, according to the Raven test, showed that the average IQ was observed in 47.6±3.7% preschoolers, and below-average IQ in 52.9±3.7% preschoolers. At the same time in schoolchildren, below-average IQ was found in 48.7±4.0% and average IQ in 51.3±4.0%.
Conclusion: The study of the development of children’s mental processes and behavior is not informative for the early detection of ASD. Likewise, the screening methods for the detection of ASD known today and available to the pediatric service and based on the detection of social and communication disorders are poorly informative. However, if we consider ASD as a manifestation of genetic and cytogenetic pathology, we should look for screening methods in the field of genetics.
- Malinina EV, Sergeev VA. The actual issues of psychiatry, organic mental disorders and epilepsy: the materials of the scientific and practical conference. Chelyabinsk: Publishing House «Pirs»; 2012. [In Russian].
- Maltinskaya NA. [The history of the development of the autism doctrine]. Scientific and methodological e-journal “Concept.” 2017;1:11. [Article in Russian].
- Duchan E, Patel DR. Epidemiology of autism spectrum disorders. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2012 Feb;59(1):27-43, ix-x. doi: 10.1016/j.pcl.2011.10.003.
- Levy SE, Mandell DS, Schultz RT. Autism. Lancet. 2009 Nov 7;374(9701):1627-38. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61376-3. Epub 2009 Oct 12. Erratum in: Lancet. 2011 Oct 29;378(9802):1546.
- Dolgikh VV, Starovoitova TE, Pogodina AV, Mikhnovich VI, Rychkova LV. [Somatic health of children with autism]. Pediatriya - Zhurnal im G.N. Speranskogo. 2014; 93 (5): 150-153. [Article in Russian].
- Clinical Guidelines for Autism Spectrum Disorders (approved by the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation). 2020. [In Russian].
- Fesenko YuA, Shigashov DYu. [Early childhood autism: a medical and social problem]. Health - the basis of human potential: problems and ways of their solution. 2013;(1):271-273. [Article in Russian].
- Kuchma VR. The hygiene of children and adolescents: Textbook. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media; 2008. [In Russian].
- Kuchma VR, Tkachuk EA, Tarmaeva IY. [Psychophysiological state of children in conditions of informatization of their life activity and intensification of education]. Gig Sanit. 2016;95(12):1183-8. [Article in Russian].
- Prikhozhan AM. The anxiety in children and adolescents: psychology of anxiety and age dynamics. M: Moscow; 2000. [In Russian].
- Mazurin AN. Propaedeutics of children’s diseases: textbook, the 3rd ed. St. Petersburg: Foliant; 2009. [In Russian].
- Istratova ON. Psychodiagnostics: a collection of the best tests. The 7th ed. Rostov: “Phoenix”; 2010.
- Schopler E, Reichler RJ, DeVellis RF, Daly K. Toward objective classification of childhood autism: Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). J Autism Dev Disord. 1980 Mar;10(1):91-103. doi: 10.1007/BF02408436.
- Childhood Autism Rating Scale, CARS (Schopler E, Reichler RJ, DeVellis RF, Daly K).Translation and adaptation by Morozova TYu, Dovbnya SV. Moscow; 2011. 50. [In Russian].
- Dyusova SG, Kaibalieva GH, Shevtsova OS. Features of mental development in early childhood autism: specific disorders of perception, speech, thinking, fears. Collection of scientific works “In the world of scientific discoveries.” (September 28, Taganrog; 2015). 2015; 1: 28-31. [In Russian].
- Skvortsov IA. Children’s autism in neurology. Moscow: MEDpress-inform. 2020. [In Russian].
- Nason B. [Core Challenges of Autism. Sensory aspects of autism]. Autizm i narušenie razvitiâ = Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2016;14(3):42–48. doi:10.17759/autdd.2016140304. [Article in Russian].
- Albitskaya ZhV. Early childhood autism - problems and difficulties of primary diagnosis in interdisciplinary interaction. Medical almanac. 2016; 2 (42). [Article in Russian].
- Darenskaya М, Rychkova LV, Gavrilova OA, Kolesnikova L. Signs of oxidative stress parameters in boys of different ethnic groups with exogenous-constitutional obesity. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2018; 128: 47-60. DOI: 10.1016/J.FREERADBIOMED.2018.10.082
- Tkachuk EA. Martynovich NN, Rychkova LV, Polyakov VM. Problems of diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders in children. Pacific Medical Journal. 2020; 4 (82): 35-43. [Article in Russian].
Received July 13, 2021.
Accepted August 13, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.