International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(3):367-371.
Originally published September 9, 2021
Background: The ABCB1 gene is responsible for resistance to various cytotoxic drugs. The product of the ABCB1 gene, P-glycoprotein (P-gp), acts as a transmembrane pump and influences the action of many drugs. More than 40 SNPs of the ABCB1 gene that alter the expression of P-gp have been identified. The ABCB1 rs1045642 SNP, designated as C3435T (C-the wild-type allele, T-the variant allele), correlates with the activity of P-gp. The aim of our research was to study the distribution of alleles and genotypes of the ABCB1 C3435T polymorphism in Yakuts, in comparison with other human populations.
Methods and Results: The studied cohort included 149 healthy Yakut volunteers (36 men and 113 women). The average age of participants was 30.67±0.06 years. The ABCB1 gene is a highly polymorphic gene; the allele frequency of the C3435T polymorphism differs widely among the studied populations. The frequency of the mutant T-allele among the Yakuts was 51% .In the studied group of Yakuts, we revealed the prevalence of the heterozygous CT genotype (75.8%). The Yakuts have a relatively low frequency of CC (10.7%) and TT (13.4%) genotypes. This preliminary study did not include the objective of proving the relationship between the ABCB1 C3435T polymorphism and addictive disorders in Yakuts. The further search for functional polymorphisms of the ABCB1 gene and associations with addictive behavior using a systematic approach on larger samples is of great practical importance.
- Juliano RL, Ling V. A surface glycoprotein modulating drug permeability in Chinese hamster ovary cell mutants. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1976 Nov 11;455(1):152-62. doi: 10.1016/0005-2736(76)90160-7.
- Gillet JP, Gottesman MM. Overcoming multidrug resistance in cancer: 35 years after the discovery of ABCB1. Drug Resist Updat. 2012 Feb-Apr;15(1-2):2-4. doi: 10.1016/j.drup.2012.03.001.
- Rokhlina FV, Novik GA, Kalinina NM, Bychkova NV, Filippova YuN, Zarayskiy MI. [Influence of С3435Т polymorphism of the MDR1 gene on the effectiveness of therapy for juvenile idiopathic arthritis]. Pediatric Pharmacology. 2013; 10 (5): 46–51. [Article in Russian].
- Chin JE, Soffir R, Noonan KE, Choi K, Roninson IB. Structure and expression of the human MDR (P-glycoprotein) gene family. Mol Cell Biol. 1989 Sep;9(9):3808-20. doi: 10.1128/mcb.9.9.3808-3820.1989.
- Stavrovskaya AA. [Tumor cell on the defensive]. Soros educational journal. 2001;7(7):17-23. [Article in Russian].
- Omata Y, Yamauchi T, Tsuruta A, Matsunaga N, Koyanagi S, Ohdo S. RNA editing enzyme ADAR1 governs the circadian expression of P-glycoprotein in human renal cells by regulating alternative splicing of the ABCB1 gene. J Biol Chem. 2021 Jan-Jun;296:100601. doi: 10.1016/j.jbc.2021.100601.
- Choi JS, Park HJ. Circadian changes in pharmacokinetics of cyclosporin in healthy volunteers. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 1999 Jan;103(1):109-12.
- Ferrazzini G, Sohl H, Robieux I, Johnson D, Giesbrecht E, Koren G. Diurnal variation of methotrexate disposition in children with acute leukaemia. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1991;41(5):425-7. doi: 10.1007/BF00626363.
- Lopez JP, Brivio E, Santambrogio A, De Donno C, Kos A, Peters M, et al. Single-cell molecular profiling of all three components of the HPA axis reveals adrenal ABCB1 as a regulator of stress adaptation. Sci Adv. 2021 Jan 27;7(5):eabe4497. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abe4497.
- Pels YaR, Marusin AV, Spiridonova MG, Stepanov VA. [Polymorphism of the human MDR1 gene in the populations of Siberia and Central Asia]. Molecular Biology. 2007;6(41):982-988. [Article in Russian].
- Muderrisoglu A, Babaoglu E, Korkmaz ET, Ongun MC, Karabulut E, Iskit AB, Emri S, Babaoglu MO. Effects of Genetic Polymorphisms of Drug Transporter ABCB1 (MDR1) and Cytochrome P450 Enzymes CYP2A6, CYP2B6 on Nicotine Addiction and Smoking Cessation. Front Genet. 2020 Nov 30;11:571997. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2020.571997.
- Isaza C, Henao J, Beltrán L, Porras L, Gonzalez M, Cruz R, et al. Genetic variants associated with addictive behavior in Colombian addicted and non-addicted to heroin or cocaine. Colomb Med (Cali). 2013 Mar 30;44(1):19-25.
- Hoffmeyer S, Burk O, von Richter O, Arnold HP, Brockmöller J, Johne A, Cascorbi I, Gerloff T, Roots I, Eichelbaum M, Brinkmann U. Functional polymorphisms of the human multidrug-resistance gene: multiple sequence variations and correlation of one allele with P-glycoprotein expression and activity in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Mar 28;97(7):3473-8. doi: 10.1073/pnas.050585397.
- Wang D, Johnson AD, Papp AC, Kroetz DL, Sadée W. Multidrug resistance polypeptide 1 (MDR1, ABCB1) variant 3435C>T affects mRNA stability. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2005 Oct;15(10):693-704.
- Hsin CH, Stoffel MS, Gazzaz M, Schaeffeler E, Schwab M, Fuhr U, Taubert M. Combinations of common SNPs of the transporter gene ABCB1 influence apparent bioavailability, but not renal elimination of oral digoxin. Sci Rep. 2020 Jul 27;10(1):12457. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-69326-y.
- Levran O, O'Hara K, Peles E, Li D, Barral S, Ray B, Borg L, Ott J, Adelson M, Kreek MJ. ABCB1 (MDR1) genetic variants are associated with methadone doses required for effective treatment of heroin dependence. Hum Mol Genet. 2008 Jul 15;17(14):2219-27. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddn122.
- Yuferov V, Levran O, Proudnikov D, Nielsen DA, Kreek MJ. Search for genetic markers and functional variants involved in the development of opiate and cocaine addiction and treatment. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010 Feb;1187:184-207. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.05275.x.
- Pal D, Kwatra D, Minocha M, Paturi DK, Budda B, Mitra AK. Efflux transporters- and cytochrome P-450-mediated interactions between drugs of abuse and antiretrovirals. Life Sci. 2011 May 23;88(21-22):959-71. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2010.09.012.
- Takano M, Naka R, Sasaki Y, Nishimoto S, Yumoto R. Effect of cigarette smoke extract on P-glycoprotein function in primary cultured and newly developed alveolar epithelial cells. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 2016 Dec;31(6):417-424. doi: 10.1016/j.dmpk.2016.08.006.
- Nieh S, Jao SW, Yang CY, Lin YS, Tseng YH, Liu CL, Lee TY, Liu TY, Chu YH, Chen SF. Regulation of tumor progression via the Snail-RKIP signaling pathway by nicotine exposure in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2015 Dec;37(12):1712-21. doi: 10.1002/hed.23820.
- Al-Diab O, Yousef Al-M, Manassrah EAl, Masadeh A, Olemat M, Qosa H, et al. Genotype and Haplotype Analysis of ABCB1 at 1236, 2677 and 3435 among Jordanian Population. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2015 Apr;14(6):1013-1019. doi: 10.4314/tjpr.v14i6.11
- Scheiner MA, Damasceno AM, Maia RC. ABCB1 single nucleotide polymorphisms in the Brazilian population. Mol Biol Rep. 2010 Jan;37(1):111-8. doi: 10.1007/s11033-009-9547-x.
- Pramanik S, Surendran ST, Devi S, Krishnamurthi K, Chakrabarti T. Frequency and genotype distribution of ABCB1 gene polymorphisms among Maharashtrian population of Central India. Xenobiotica. 2014 Jun;44(6):579-82. doi: 10.3109/00498254.2013.866300.
- Naumovska Z, Nestorovska AK, Sterjev Z, Filipce A, Dimovski A, Suturkova L. Genotype variability and haplotype profile of ABCB1 (MDR1) gene polymorphisms in Macedonian population. Pril (Makedon Akad Nauk Umet Odd Med Nauki). 2014;35(3):121-33. doi: 10.1515/prilozi-2015-0016.
- Kimchi-Sarfaty C, Oh JM, Kim IW, Sauna ZE, Calcagno AM, Ambudkar SV, Gottesman MM. A "silent" polymorphism in the MDR1 gene changes substrate specificity. Science. 2007 Jan 26;315(5811):525-8. doi: 10.1126/science.1135308. Epub 2006 Dec 21. Erratum in: Science. 2007 Nov 30;318(5855):1382-3. Erratum in: Science. 2011 oCT 7;334(6052):39.
- GSR and the 1000 Genomes Project [Internet]. Available from: https://www.internationalgenome.org.
Received July 30, 2021.
Accepted September 5, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.