International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(3):281-285.
Originally published September 9, 2021
The aim of this study was to evaluate the spatial distribution of the latencies and amplitudes of the N2 and P3 (or P300) components of the AEP in the Russian Arctic working-age women with different levels of BP.
Methods and Results: A total of 25 working-age women living in Nadym city for more than 20 years took part in this study. Group 1 (n=12, control group) consisted of women with BP within the normal range (<130/90 mmHg); Group 2 (n=13) consisted of women with AH (AH duration from 1 to 10 years). The parameters of the N2 and P300) components of the AEP were evaluated using an electroencephalograph (Neuron-Spectrum-4/VPM, Russia). An auditory oddball paradigm was used to elicit the oddball ERPs.
In Group 2, compared with Group 1, the N2 latency was more pronounced in the parietal (P4, P3), central (C4, C3), frontal (F4, F3), and left temporal (T3, F7) regions. The N2 amplitude in all studied brain regions in individuals of both groups was comparable. The P300 latency did not differ between the two groups. In Group 2, the P300 amplitude was significantly lower in the parietal region (P3) on the left, and in the central and temporal regions on the right (C4, T4). In Group 2, inverse correlations between DBP and the P3 amplitude were revealed in the central (C4: r=-0.88, P=0.001; C3: r=-0.86, P=0.001), frontal (F4: r=-0.76; P=0.01; F3: r=-0.93, P=0.001), and anterior-temporal cerebral regions (F8: r=-0.65, P=0.04; F7: r=-0.64, P=0.04). SBP correlated with the P3 amplitude in the right mid-temporal region (T4: r=0.64, P=0.04).
Conclusion: The features of the spatial distribution of the N2 and P3 components of the AEP can be used for early diagnosis of the risk of developing cognitive disorders in AH patients.
- Cicconetti P, Cacciafesta M, Monteforte G, Thau F, Durante M, Chiarotti F, Ciotti V, Piccirillo GF, Marigliano V. Event-related potentials in the elderly with new mild hypertension. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2000, 22(6):583-593. DOI: 10.1081/ceh-100100093.
- Launer LJ, Masaki K, Petrovitch H, Foley D, Havlik RJ. The association between midlife blood pressure levels and late-life cognitive function. The Honolulu-Asia Aging Study. JAMA. 1995 Dec 20;274(23):1846-51.
- Li X, Yan Y, Wei W. Identifying patients with poststroke mild cognitive impairment by pattern recognition of working memory load-related ERP. Comput Math Methods Med. 2013;2013:658501. doi: 10.1155/2013/658501.
- Grishina DA, Lokshina AB. Diagnosis and treatment of vascular cognitive impairments. Meditsinskiy sovet = Medical Council. 2021;(2):45-54. doi: 10.21518/2079-701X-2021-2-45-54. [ Article in Russian].
- Morrison C, Rabipour S, Taler V, Sheppard C, Knoefel F. Visual Event-Related Potentials in Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer's Disease: A Literature Review. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2019;16(1):67-89. doi: 10.2174/1567205015666181022101036.
- Aleshina ED, Koberskaia NN, Damulin IV. [Cognitve evoked potential P300: methodology, experience of use, clinical significance]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2009;109(8):77-84. [Article in Russian]
- Helfrich RF, Knight RT. Cognitive neurophysiology: Event-related potentials. Handb Clin Neurol. 2019;160:543-558. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-64032-1.00036-9.
- Modi ME, Sahin M. Translational use of event-related potentials to assess circuit integrity in ASD. Nat Rev Neurol. 2017 Mar;13(3):160-170. doi: 10.1038/nrneurol.2017.15.
- Lee TW, Yu YW, Wu HC, Chen TJ. Do resting brain dynamics predict oddball evoked-potential? BMC Neurosci. 2011 Nov 24;12:121. doi: 10.1186/1471-2202-12-121.
- Folstein JR, Van Petten C. Influence of cognitive control and mismatch on the N2 component of the ERP: a review. Psychophysiology. 2008 Jan;45(1):152-70. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8986.2007.00602.x.
- Donchin E, Coles MGH. Is the P300 component a manifestation ofcontext updating? Behav Brain Sci. 1988;11:357-374.
- Chen KC, Lee IH, Yang YK, Landau S, Chang WH, Chen PS, Lu RB, David AS, Bramon E. P300 waveform and dopamine transporter availability: a controlled EEG and SPECT study in medication-naive patients with schizophrenia and a meta-analysis. Psychol Med. 2014 Jul;44(10):2151-62. doi: 10.1017/S0033291713002808.
- Yilmaz FT, Özkaynak SS, Barçin E. Contribution of auditory P300 test to the diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease. Neurol Sci. 2017 Dec;38(12):2103-2109. doi: 10.1007/s10072-017-3106-3.
- Zueva IB, Vanaeva KI, Sanets EL. [Cognitive evoked potential, p300 component: role in assessment of cognitive function among patients with arterial hypertension and obesity]y. Bulletin SR RAMS. 2012, 32(5):55-62. [Article in Russian]
- Zueva IB, Krivonosov DS, Buch AV. Assessment of cognitive functions using cognitive evoked potential in patients with arterial hypertension. International Heart and Vascular Disease Journal. 2017;5(13):9-12.
- Cicconetti P, Ciotti V, Tafaro L, Ettorre E, Chiarotti F, Priami C, Cacciafesta M, Marigliano V. Event related brain potentials in elderly patients with recently diagnosed isolated systolic hypertension. Clin Neurophysiol. 2007 Apr;118(4):824-32. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2006.11.001.
- Hasnulin VI, Voevoda MI, Hasnulin PV, Artamonova O G. Modern Approach to Arterial Hypertension in the Circumpolar and Arctic Regions. Literature Review. Ekologiya cheloveka. (Human Ecology). 2016;3:43-51.[Article in Russian]
- Zapesochnaya IL, Avtandilov AG. The problem of adaptation of the cardiovascular system when living in the Far North: a textbook. SBEI APE "Russian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education." M.: SBEI APE RMAPE; 2015. [In Russian]
- Elfimova A, Tipisova E, Molodovskaya I, Popkova A, Potutkin D. [Sex hormones concentrations at different dopamine levels among women in the Russian Arctic]. Ekologiya cheloveka (Human Ecology). 2020;4;19-25. doi: 10.33396/1728-0869-2020-4-19-25. [Article in Russian]
- Zakharov VV, Yakhno NN. Cognitive disorders in the elderly and senile age / Methodological guide for doctors. M., 2005. [In Russian]
- Gnezditsky VV. The inverse problem of EEG and clinical electroencephalography (mapping and localization of sources of electrical activity of the brain). MED Press Inform; 2004. [In Russian]
- Vakhnina NV. [Cognitive impairment in arterial hypertension]. Meditsinskiy sovet = Medical Council. 2015, 5:34-39. doi: 10.21518/2079-701X-2015-5-34-39. [In Russian].
- Parfenov VA, Starchina YuA. Cognitive disorders and their treatment in arterial hypertension. Nervnye bolezni. 2015;1:16-22.[Article in Russian]
- Fonyakin AV, Geraskina LA, Suslina ZA. Arterial hypertension, cerebrovascular pathology and vascular cognitive disorders. Current issues. Brief guide for doctors. Moscow; 2006. [In Russian].
- Fitzroy AB, Krizman J, Tierney A, Agouridou M, Kraus N. Longitudinal maturation of auditory cortical function during adolescence. Front Hum Neurosci. 2015 Oct 20;9:530. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2015.00530.
- Dzhos YuS, Kalinina LP. Cognitive Event-Related Potentials in Neurophysiology Research (Review). Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 2018, 6(3):223–235. doi: 10.17238/issn2542-1298.2018.6.3.223.
- Avnon Y, Nitzan M, Sprecher E, Rogowski Z, Yarnitsky D. Autonomic asymmetry in migraine: augmented parasympathetic activation in left unilateral migraineurs. Brain. 2004 Sep;127(Pt 9):2099-108. doi: 10.1093/brain/awh236.
- Vasilyeva NYu, Zharinov OI, Kuts VA. [Diagnosis of cognitive disorders in patients with arterial hypertension]. Original’nye issledovaniia. 2013;3(4):96. [Article in Russian].
- Hansenne M. [The p300 cognitive event-related potential. I. Theoretical and psychobiologic perspectives]. Neurophysiol Clin. 2000 Aug;30(4):191-210. doi: 10.1016/s0987-7053(00)00223-9. [Article in French].
- van Dinteren R, Arns M, Jongsma ML, Kessels RP. P300 development across the lifespan: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 13;9(2):e87347. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087347.
- Vecchio F, Määttä S. The use of auditory event-related potentials in Alzheimer's disease diagnosis. Int J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;2011:653173. doi: 10.4061/2011/653173.
- Lv YB, Zhu PF, Yin ZX, Kraus VB, Threapleton D, Chei CL, Brasher MS, Zhang J, Qian HZ, Mao C, Matchar DB, Luo JS, Zeng Y, Shi XM. A U-shaped Association Between Blood Pressure and Cognitive Impairment in Chinese Elderly. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017 Feb 1;18(2):193.e7-193.e13. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2016.11.011.
Received June 4, 2021.
Accepted July 19, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.