¹Scientific Centre for Children's Health of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russian Federation, ²Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry, Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Еlena M. Vasilyeva PhD, ScD, Laboratory of Clinical Biochemistry, Scientific Center for Children’s Health of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, 2/62, Lomonosov ave., Moscow, 117963, Russia. Tel: 7-499-1254954. E-mail: Elenaemail@example.com
Published: March 25, 2013
Significant changes in the levels of the potential prooxidant Cu (increase) and the antioxidant Zn (decrease) in plasma were revealed in children having bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) complicated by pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and chronic cor pulmonale (CCP) when compared with the control. The Zn/Cu ratio in the blood plasma of patients with BPD, especially in CCP, was found to be lower than in the control group (p<0.001). This could indicate the activation of the prooxidant processes; simultaneously, the total antioxidant status (AOS) decreased. No significant increase in the intracellular free (“ionized” (i)) form of magnesium (iMg) was found; in fact, the concentration of iFe in all the patient groups was higher than in the control. An increase in the iCu and iZn levels (nonprotein-bound) was observed in the blood cells of the affected children. A significant increase in the glutathione peroxidase activity in the CCP patients may indicate an accumulation of organic peroxides, and partially compensate for the lesser activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and other antioxidants. The Zn/Cu and iZn/iCu ratios were reduced in patients with CCP when compared with patients with PD without CCP.
- Avtsyn AP, Zhavoronkov AA, Rim MA, Strochkova LS. Human microelementoses. M.: Medicine, 1991. [in Russian].
- Dubinina EE, Pustygina AB. Free radical processes in aging, neurodegenerative diseases, and other pathological conditions. Biomedical chemistry 2007: 53(4):351-372. [in Russian].
- Arkhipova N. Exchange of phosphate in health and disease. Bulletin of St Peter State Medical Acad 2004; 4 (5):71-74. [in Russian].
- Murphy E, Freudenrich CC, Lieberman M. Cellular magnesium and Na/Mg exchange in heart cells. Ann Rev Physiol 1991; 53:273-287.
- Rakitskiy VN. Yudina TV. Antioxidant and microelement status of the organism: present-day diagnostic problems. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk 2005; (3):33-6. [in Russian].
- Urushidate S, Matsuzaka M, Okubo N. Association between concentration of trace elements in serum and bronchial asthma among Japanese general population. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2010; 24:236-24.
- Hughes S, Samman S. The effect of zinc supplementation in humans on plasma lipids, antioxidant status and thrombogenesis. J Am Coll Nutr 2006; 25(4):285-91.
- Kudryashov AM, Titova NM, Savchenko AA, Kudryashov EV. The content of ascorbic acid and its oxidized forms at the aging red blood cells produced in the conditions of normal and intense erythropoiesis. Biomedical Chemistry 2005; 51(1):53-59. [in Russian].
- Kocyigit A, Armutcu F, Gurel A, Ermis B. Alteration in plasma essential trace elements selenium, manganese, zinc, copper and iron concentrations and the possible role of these elements on oxidative status in patients with childhood asthma. Biol Trace Elem Res 2004; 91(1): 31-41.
- Kocyigit A, Armutcu F, Gurel A, Ermis В. Alterations in plasma essential trace elements selenium, manganese, zinc, copper and iron concentrations and possible role of these elements on oxidative status in patients with childhood asthma. Biol Trace Elem Res 2004: 97:31-41.
- Barnes PJ, Shapiro SD, Pauwels RA. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: molecular and cellular mechanisms. Eur Respir J 2003; 22:672-688.
- Orlov YuP, Dolgich VT. Iron metabolism in biological systems (biochemical, pathophysiological and clinical perspectives). Biomedical chemistry 2007; 53(1): 25-38.
- Rukgauer M, Neugebauer RJ, Plecko T. The relation between selenium, zinc and cooper concentration and the trace element dependent antioxidative status. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2001; 15:73-78.
- He C, Murthy S, McCormic ML. Mitochondrial Cu,Zn-Superoxide dismutase mediates pulmonary fibrosis by augmenting H2O2 generation. J Biol Chem 2011; 286(17):15597-15607.
- Inoue K, Branigan D, Xiong Z-G. Zink-induced neurotoxicity mediated by transient receptor potential Melastatin 7 channels. J Biol Chem 2010; 285(10): 7430-7439.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2013; 3(1):15-19. © 2013 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.