¹Peoples’ Friendship University, Moscow, Russian Federation;
²Science Center of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Perinatology named after Academician V.I. Kulakov, Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Ekaterina D.Dubinskaya, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine, Faculty of Graduate Studies at Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. 8, Miklukho-Maklaya st, Moscow, 117198, Russian Federation. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: March 25, 2014.
Today, infertility has become a global issue. WHO ranks it the fifth among the major diseases of those below 60 years, after alcoholism, depression, injuries and eyesight disorders. Numerous studies conducted on the problems of infertility in endometriosis still do not offer clear answers regarding the pathogenesis and mechanisms of this disease and its influences on fertility. According to the survey results, point mutations of the NAT2 gene (NAT2*5 and NAT2*6) have been identified in 75.6% of the patients with infertility problems and the peritoneal form of endometriosis, that create “slow” allelic variants, which exceed the average index in the population. The peculiarities of the NAT2 gene polymorphisms have been proven to be associated with the effectiveness of the infertility treatment of female patients with peritoneal endometriosis. In the group of non-pregnant patients, the presence of с.341Т>C, c.481C>T, c.590G>A and c.803A>G heterozygous point mutations are 73.2, 73.2, 5.4, and 62.5%, respectively. The significant difference in the comparison of the allelic polymorphism during the various stages of the endometriosis was not identified. At stage III-IV endometriosis the frequency of three and more point substitutions was significantly higher. NAT2 gene polymorphisms can find use as an additional criterion for predicting the effectiveness of the infertility treatment of patients with peritoneal endometriosis.
- Burlev VA, Dubinskaya ED, Ilyasova NA, Burlev AV. Pelvic and non-pelvic peritoneum: angiogenic activity and apoptosis in patients with peritoneal endometriosis. Reproduction problems 2010, 4:7-15.
- Smolnikova VY. In vitro fertilization and embryo transfer into the uterus in the infertility treatment due to genital endometriosis (clinical and embryological aspects). ScD Thesis. Moscow; 2002.
- Boyarsky KY, Gaidukov SN, Chinchaladze AS. Factors determining woman’s ovarian reserve. Akusherstvo I Ginekologya 2009; 58 (2): 65-71.
- Goswami D, Conway GS. Premature ovarian failure. Hum Reprod Update 2005; 11(4): 391-410.
- Escobar-Morreale HF, Luque-Ramirez M, San Millan JL. The molecular-genetic basis of functional hyperandrogenism and thepolycystic ovary syndrome. Endocr Rev 2005; 26(2):251-82.
- Gupta S, Goldberg JM, Aziz N, Goldberg E, Krajcir N, Agarwal A. Pathogenic mechanisms in endometriosis-associated infertility. Fertil Steril 2008; 90(2):247-57.
- Kim JG, Kim JY, Jee BC, Suh CS, Kim SH, Choi YM. Association between endometriosis and polymorphisms in endostatin and vascular endothelial growth factor and their serum levels in Korean women. Fertil Steril 2008; 89(1):243-5.
- Babu KA, Rao KL, Reddy NG, Kanakavalli MK, Zondervan KT, Deenadayal M, et al. N-acetyl transferase 2 polymorphism and advanced stages of endometriosis in South Indian women. Reprod Biomed Online 2004; 9(5):533-40.
- Dairou J, Petit E, Ragunathan N, Baeza-Squiban A, Marano F, Dupret JM, Rodrigues-Lima F. Arylamine N-acetyltransferase activity in bronchial epithelial cells and its inhibition by cellular oxidants. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2009; 236(3):366-71.
- Kang SH, Jung YH, Kim HY, Seo JH, Lee JY, Kwon JW, et al. Effect of paracetamol use on the modification of the development of asthma by reactive oxygen species genes. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2013; 110(5):364-369.
- Carvalho LF, Rossener R, Azeem A, Malvezzi H, Simões Abrão M, Agarwal A. From conception to birth - How endometriosis affects the development of each stage of reproductive life. Minerva Ginecol 2013; 65(2):181-98.
- Dubinskaya ED, Burlev VA, Ilyasova NA, Volkov NI, Gasparov AS. Microvessel density and angiogenic activity in eutopic endometrium in patients with peritoneal endometriosis. Problems of reproduction 2004; 6:51.
- Hou Z, Mao YD, Liu JY.Study on the factors associated with clinical pregnancy rate of in-vitro fertilization in endometriosis related infertility. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi 2013; 48(1):6-10. [Article in Chinese].
- Hein DW, Grant DM, Sim E. Update on consensus N-acetyltransferase gene nomenclature. Pharmacogenetics 2000; 10(4):2912.
- Shevchenko OV, Bychkov EN, Svistunov AA, Borodulin VB, Sarattsev AV, Losev OE, et al. The influence of the NAT2 gene polymorphisms on cholesterol metabolism in patients with arterial hypertension. Fundamental research, 2012; 7:219-223
- Zgheib NK, Shamseddine AA, Geryess E, Tfayli A, Bazarbachi A, Salem Z, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of CYP2E1, GST, and NAT2 enzymes are not associated with risk of breast cancer in a sample of Lebanese women. Mutat Res2013; 747-748:40-7.
- Dubinskaya ED., Gasparov AS, Fedorova TA, Laptev NV. The role of genetic factors, detoxification system and oxidative stress in endometriosis and infertility. Bulletin of Medical Sciences 2013; 8:14-19.
- HevirN, Ribič-PuceljM, LanišnikRižnerT. Disturbed balance between phase I and II metabolizing enzymes in ovarian endometriosis: a source of excessive hydroxy-estrogens and ROS? Mol Cell Endocrinol 2013; 367(1-2):74-84.
- Jaiswal D, Sah R, Agrawal NK, Dwivedi US, Trivedi S, Singh K. Combined effect of GSTT1 and GSTM1 polymorphisms on human male infertility in north Indian population. Reprod Sci2012;19(3):312-6.
- Lin HJ, Han CY, Lin BK, Hardy S. Ethnic distribution of slow acetylator mutations in the polymorphic N-acetyltransferase (NAT2) gene. Pharmacogenetics 1994; 4:125-134.
- Brockmoller J, Cascorbi I, Kerb R, Roots I. Combined analysis of inherited polymorphisms in arylamine N-acetyltransferase 2, glutathione S-transferases M1 and T1, microsomal epoxide hydrolase, and cytochrome P450 enzymes as modulators of bladder cancer risk. Cancer Res. 1996; 56:3915-25.
- Woolhouse NM, Qureshi MM, Bastaki SM, Patel M, Abdulrazzaq Y, Bayoumi RA. Polymorphic N-acetyltransferase genotyping of Emiratis. Pharmacogenetics 1997; 7:73-82.
- Gross M, Kruisselbrink T, Anderson K, Lang N, McGovern P, Delongchamp R, Kadlubar F. Distribution and concordance of N-acetyltransferase genotype and phenotype in an American population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1999; 8(80:683-92.
- Anitha A, Banerjee M. Arylamine N-acetyltransferase 2 polymorphism in the ethnic populations of South India. Int J Mol Med 2003; 11(1):125–31.
- Gaikovitch EA, Cascorbi I, Mrozikiewicz PM, Brockmöller J, Frötschl R, Köpke K, et al. Polymorphisms of drug-metabolizing enzymes CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP1A1, NAT2 and P-glycoprotein in a Russian population. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2003; 59(4):303-12.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(1):26-31. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
The A-Z Guide to Alcoholism and Depression: This guide outlines the link between alcoholism and depression. The article explains why this link exists and then provides tips you can implement to make positive change.