¹Tashkent Medical Academy; ²Research Institute for Hematology and Blood Transfusion. Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Kodirjon T. Boboev, PhD. Research Institute for Hematology and Blood Transfusion.Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: December 23, 2014.
MDR1 gene C3435T and C1236T single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) have been studied in 59 Uzbek patients with epilepsy aged from 1 to 40 years. The patients were resistant to anticonvulsant drugs in therapeutic doses with no remission attained. The disease duration was about two years. The DNA samples were isolated from peripheral blood of patients and healthy individuals. The study found a statistically significant difference in the frequency of the ТТ genotype of the MDR1 gene С3435Т polymorphism, which was associated both with rapid and slow drug metabolism. In the TT genotype group, the share of the patients resistant to the therapy was almost 4.8 times higher than in the control group. Despite high OR=1.9, there were statistically insignificant differences in the frequency of С1236Т SNP. The 3435C – 1236T haplotype of MDR1 gene was associated with an increase the risk of drug-resistance development in epileptic patients.
- Aksyonova MG, Kachalin EY, Burd SG, Avakyan GN, Badalyan OL, Savenkov AA, et al. Relation of C3435T polymorphism of MDR1gene to the efficiency of carbamazepin therapy. Med Gen 2007 639-41. [Article in Russian].
- Kwan P, Brodie MJ. Refractory epilepsy: mechanisms and solutions. Expert Rev Neurother 2006;6(3):397-406.
- Nadkarni S, LaJoie J, Devinsky O. Current treatments of epilepsy. Neurology 2005;64(12 Suppl 3): S2–11.
- Bournissen FG, Moretti ME, Juurlink DN, Koren G, Walker M, Finkelstein Y. Polymorphism of the MDR1/ABCB1 C3435T drug-transporter and resistance to anticonvulsant drugs: a meta-analysis. Epilepsia 2009; 50(4): 898-903.
- Haerian BS, Lim KS, Mohamed EHM, Tan HJ, Tan CT, Raymond AA, et al. Association of ABCB1 gene polymorphisms and their haplotypes with response to antiepileptic drugs: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacogenomics 2011; 12(5):713-25.
- Schwab M, Eichelbaum M, Fromm MF. Genetic polymorphism of the human MDR1 drug transporter. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 2003 43285–307.
- Haerian BS, Roslan H, Raymond AA, Tan CT, Lim KS, Zulkifli SZ, et al. ABCB1 C3435T polymorphism and the risk of resistance to antiepileptic drugs in epilepsy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Seizure 2010; 19(6):339-46
- Sayyah Met. Association analysis of intractable epilepsy with C3435T and G2677T/A ABCB1 gene polymorphisms in Iranian patients. Epileptic Disord 2011;13(2):155-65.
- Callen DF, Baker E, Simmers RN, Seshadri R, Roninson IB. Localization of the human multiple-drug resistance gene, MDR1, to 7q21.1. Human Genet 1987; 77(2):142–144.
- Bodor M, Kelly EJ, Ho RJ. Characterization of the human MDR1 gene. AAPS J 2005; 7:E1–E5.Woodahl EL, Yang ZP, Bui T, Shen DD, Ho RJ. Multidrug resistance gene G1199A polymorphism alters efflux transport activity of P-glycoprotein. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2004;310:1199-1207.
- Siddiqui A, Kerb R, Weale ME, Brinkmann U, Smith A, Goldstein DB, et al. N Engl J Med. 2003; 348(15):1442-8.
- Woodahl EL, Yang ZP, Bui T, Shen DD, Ho RJ. Multidrug resistance gene G1199A polymorphism alters efflux transport activity of P-glycoprotein.J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2004;310:1199-1207.
- Zimprich F, Sunder_Plassmann R, Stogmann E, Gleiss A, Dal_Bianco A, Zimprich A, Plumer S, et. al. Association of an ABCB1 gene haplotype with pharmacoresistance in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurology 2004; 63(6):1087–91.
- Hitzl M, Schaeffeler E, Hocher B, Slowinski T, Halle H, Eichelbaum M, et al. Variable expression of P-glycoprotein in the human placenta and its association with mutations of the multidrug resistance 1 gene (MDR1, ABCB1). Pharmacogenetics 2004;14(5):309– 318.
- Marzolini C, Paus E, Buclin T, Kim RB. Polymorphisms in human MDR1 (P-glycoprotein):recent advances and clinical relevance. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004;75(1):13-33.
- Fung KL, Gottesman MM. A synonymous polymorphism in a common MDR1 (ABCB1) haplotype shapes protein function. Biochim Biophys Acta 2009;1794(5):860–71
- Ponnala S. Role of MDR1 C3435T and GABRG2 C588T gene polymorphisms in seizure occurrence and MDR1 effect on anti-epileptic drug (phenytoin) absorption. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 2012;16:550-7.
- Kim YO, Kim MK, Woo YJ, Lee MC, Kim JH, Park KW, et al. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the multidrug resistance 1 gene in Korean epileptics. Seizure 2006; 15(1):67-72.
- Emich-Widera E, Likus W, Kazek B, Niemiec P, Balcerzyk A, Sieroń A, et al. CYP3A5∗3 and C3435T MDR1 polymorphisms in prognostication of drug-resistant epilepsy in children and adolescents. Biomed Res Int 2013; 2013:526837. doi: 10.1155/2013/526837. Epub 2013 Aug 1.
- Alpman A, Ozkinay F, Tekgul H, Gokben S, Pehlivan S, Schalling M, et al. Multidrug resistance 1 (MDR1) gene polymorphisms in childhood drug-resistant epilepsy. J Child Neurol 2010; 25(12):1485–1490.
- Meng H, Guo G, Ren J, Zhou H, Ge Y, Guo Y. Effects of ABCB1 polymorphisms on plasma carbamazepine concentrations and pharmacoresistance in Chinese patients with epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav 2011;21(1):27–30.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(4):209-212. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.