¹Scientific Center for Children’s Health RAMS; ²Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry; Moscow, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Еlena M. Vasilyeva PhD, ScD, Laboratory of Clinical Biochemistry, Scientific Center for Children’s Health of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, 2/62, Lomonosov ave., Moscow, 117963, Russia. Tel: 7-499-1254954. E-mail: Elenaemail@example.com
Published: December 23, 2014.
A total of 230 children having bronchopulmonary pathology (BPP) were examined. Patients were divided into 4 groups according to their intraerythrocyte non-protein- bound iron (IE-NPBI) levels. We investigated the relationship of the IE-NPBI level with parameters of respiratory function (RF) tests, the severity of comorbidities, and level of other free intracellular ions, such as copper, zinc, and magnesium. The pronounced increase in IE-NPBI level was typical for patients with the connective tissue dysplasia, often accompanied by mitral valve prolapse, osteopenia, and mineral metabolism violation. The severe comorbid diagnoses were typical for patients with reduced levels of IE-NPBI (chronic cor pulmonale, tuberculosis infection). The largest number of comorbidities, aggravating the underlying disease, took place in the group of patients with a significant reduction in IE-NPBI level. A significant increase in IE-NPBI level, as well as a marked reduction of IE-NPBI level, was an unfavorable factor for the underlying disease. We found a correlation between IE-NPBI level and parameters of RF-test in patients with moderate increase in IE-NPBI level.
- Avtsyn AP, Zhavoronkov AA, Rim MA, Strochkova LS. Human microelementoses. M.: Meditsina; 1991, 496 [Book in Russian]
- Morozova VT, Lugovskaya SA, Pochtar ME. Erythrocytes: structure, functions, clinical diagnostic value (a lecture). Klin Lab Diagn 2007; 10:21-35. [Article in Russian].
- Orlov Yu, DolgichVT. Iron metabolism in biological systems (biochemical, pathophysiological and clinical aspects). Biomed Chem 2007; 53(1):25-38. [Article in Russian].
- Vladimirov YA, Azizov OA, Deev AI, Kozlov AV Osipov, AN, Roschupkin DI. Free radicals in the living systems. Results Sci Technol (Biophysics) 1991; vol. 29: 252. [Article in Russian].
- Guseva SA Anemia associated with impaired iron metabolism. Ukr Zh Gematol Transfuziol 2002;2:.52-59. [Article in Russian].
- Levenkova MV, Popova TN, Seminihin AV. Regulatory properties of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase from rat liver under conditions of the intensification of free radical oxidation stimulated by toxic hepatitis. Biomed Khim 2006; 52(3):278-286. [Article in Russian].
- Lin H., Li L, Jia X, Ward DM, Kaplan J. Genetic and biochemical analysis of high iron toxicity in yeast: iron toxicity is due to the accumulation of cytosolic iron and occurs under both aerobic and anaerobic conditions. J Biol Chem 2011; 286(5):3851-62.
- Ekmeksi OB, Donma O. Sardogan E, Yildirim N, Uysal O, Demirel H, et al . Iron, nitric oxide, and myeloperoxidase in asthmatic patients. Biochemistry (Mosc) 2004; 69(4):462-7.
- Kocyigit A, Armutcu F, Gurel A, Ermis В. Alterations in plasma essential trace elements selenium, manganese, zinc, cooper and iron concentrations and possible role of these elements on oxidative status in patients with childhood asthma. Biol Trace Elem Res 2004; 97:31-41.
- Bounazou I, Pound JD, Duffin R, Bournazos S, Melville LA, Brown SB, et al. Apoptotic human cells inhibit migration of granulocytes via release of lactoferrin. J Clin Invest 2009; 119(1):20-32.
- Abdullina LR, Safuanova GS, Nikulicheva VI, Kamilov FH, Ianturina NKh. Time course of changes in clinical and hematological parameters, iron metabolism, and free radical lipid oxidation in patients with iron-deficiency anemia during multimodality treatment. Klin Lab Diagn 2007; 8:41-43.
- McGrath LT, Mallon P, Dowey L, McClean E, McDonnell M, Devine A, et al. Oxidative stress during acute respiratory exacerbations in cystic fibrosis. Thorax 1999; 54(6):518-523.
- Pincemail J, Defraigne JO, Detry O, Franssen C, Meurisse M, Limet R. Ischemia-reperfusion injury of rabbit kidney: comparative effects of desferrioxamine and N-Acetylcysteine as antioxidants. Transplant Proc 2000; 32(2):475-6.
- Range SP, Dunster C, Knox AJ, Kelly FJ. Treatment of pulmonary exacerbations of cystic fibrosis leads to improved antioxidant status. Eur Respir J 1999; 13(3):560-4.
- Wood LG, Fitzgerald DA, Gibson PG, Cooper DM, Garg ML. Lipid peroxidation as determined by plasma isoprostanes is related to disease severity in mild asthma. Lipids 2000; 35:967–974.
- Back EI, Frindt C, Nohr D, Frank J, Ziebach R, Stern M, et al. Antioxidant deficiency in cystic fibrosis: when is the right time to take action? Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 80(2):374-84.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(4):231-236. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.