¹Department of Medical Genetics, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria; ²Clinical Center of Dialysis, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria; ³Department of Clinical Nephrology, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria; ^Department of Clinical Laboratory and Clinical Immunology, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria; ^^National Cardiological Hospital, Sofia, Bulgaria
*Corresponding author: Victor Manolov, MD. Department of Medical Genetics, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria E-mail: email@example.com
Published: June 25, 2015. DOI: 10.21103/Article5(2)_CR5
The aim of our study was to quantify serum hepcidin levels in Bulgarian patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). Expected high values of peptide hormones might provide a new therapeutic choice for anemia of chronic disease. We looked for correlation between serum hepcidin levels and some iron metabolism parameters in CKD patients.
Results: The sandwich ELISA is highly specific for hepcidin-25. We found statistically significant differences in serum hepcidin levels in patients of the control group, with CKD stages II to IV and CKD stage V (on chronic dialysis): 12.7±8.7μg/L, 90.74±21.1μg/L, and 282.49±81.1μg/L, respectively. Significant correlation between serum hepcidin and transferrin saturation (r=0.340, P<0.05) was found in the group of patients with CKD stage V.
Conclusion: The use of 2 monoclonal antibodies in a sandwich ELISA format provides a reliable, reproducible, and inexpensive method for measuring serum concentrations of the bioactive form of hepcidin in Bulgarian laboratory practice.
- Sun CC, Vaja V, Babitt JL, Lin HY. Targeting the hepcidin-ferroportin axis to develop new treatment strategies for anemia of chronic disease and anemia of inflammation. Am J Hematol. 2012 Apr;87(4):392-400.
- Ganz T, Nemeth E. Iron sequestration and anemia of inflammation. Semin Hematol 2009; 46(4):387–393.
- Ganz T. Hepcidin and iron regulation, 10 years later. Blood 2011; 117(17):4425–33.
- Ramey G, Deschemin JC, Durel B, Canonne-Hergaux F, Nicolas G, Vaulont S.. Hepcidin targets ferroportin for degradation in hepatocytes. Haematologica 2010; 95(3):501–4.
- Manolov V, Atanasova B, Velizarova M et al. Hepcidin evaluation in biological fluids. Medical Review 2013;. XLIX(.2): 41-46.
- Manolov V, Atanasova B, Velizarova M, Vasilev V, Tzatchev K. Serum hepcidin levels in Bulgarian population. Clin Lab 2014; 60(12):2001-6.
- Nicolas G, Viatte L, Bennoun M, Beaumont C, Kahn A, Vaulont S. Hepcidin, a new iron regulatory peptide. Blood Cells Mol Dis 2002;29(3):327–35.
- Swinkels DW, Wetzels JF. Hepcidin: a new tool in the management of anaemia in patients with chronic kidney disease? Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23(8):2450–3.
- Andrews NC. Forging a field: the golden age off iron biology. Blood 2008, 112(2):219-30
- Hentze MW, Muckenthaler MU, Galy B, Camaschella C. Two to tango: regulation of Mammalian iron metabolism. Cell 2010; 142(1):24 –38.
- Kroot JJ, Tjalsma H, Fleming RE, Swinkels DW. Hepcidin in human iron disorders: diagnostic implications. Clin Chem 2011; 57(12):1650-69.
- Theurl I, Aigner E, Theurl M, Nairz M, Seifert M, Schroll A, et al. Regulation of iron homeostasis in anemia of chronic disease and iron deficiency anemia: diagnostic and therapeutic implications. Blood 2009;113(21):5277–86.
- Babitt JL, Huang FW, Xia Y, Sidis Y, Andrews NC, Lin HY.. Modulation of bone morphogenetic protein signaling in vivo regulates systemic iron balance. J Clin Invest 2007;117(7):1933-9.
- Sasu BJ1, Cooke KS, Arvedson TL, Plewa C, Ellison AR, Sheng J, et al. Antihepcidin antibody treatment modulates iron metabolism and is effective in a mouse model of inflammationinduced anemia. Blood 2010;115(17):3616-24.
- Fatih N, Camberlein E, Island ML, Corlu A, Abgueguen E, Détivaud L, et al. Natural and synthetic STAT3 inhibitors reduce hepcidin expression in differentiated mouse hepatocytes expressing the active phosphorylated STAT3 form. J Mol Med (Berl) 2010; 88(5):477-86.
- Corradini E, Schmidt PJ, Meynard D, Garuti C, Montosi G, Chen S, et al. BMP6 treatment compensates for the molecular defect and ameliorates hemochromatosis in Hfe knockout mice. Gastroenterology 2010;139(5):1721-9.
- Semenza GL. Development of novel therapeutic strategies that target HIF-1. Expert Opin Ther Targets 2006;10(2):267-80.
- Yonova D, Vazelov E, Manolov V, et al. Diagnostic tools of hepcidin in dialysis patients. Neph Dial Transpl (Bulgarian) 2013; 19(3): 22-7.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2015; 5(2):76-78. © 2015 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.