¹Russian State Medical University, Moscow, Russia; ² Research Clinical Institute of Pediatrics, Moscow, Russia
*Corresponding author: Irina V. Zolkina²*, PhD. Research Clinical Institute of Pediatrics, Moscow, Russia E-mail: email@example.com
Published: June 25, 2015. DOI: 10.21103/Article5(2)_CR8
In the present review, we set out a new high-tech method for determining the major metabolites of catecholamines and serotonin in urine. We then discuss the effects of these substances and the value of their main metabolites in normal and various pathological conditions, and show the efficiency of applying this technique in the laboratory diagnosis of several diseases.
- Tkachenko BI, Pyatina VF. Human Physiology Compendium. 4th ed. Samara: Samara Printing House, 2002.
- Kushner B.H. Neuroblastoma: a disease requiring a multitude of imaging studies. J Nucl Med 2004; 45(7):1172–88.
- Reisch N, Peczkowska M, Januszewicz A, Neumann HP. Pheochromocytoma: presentation, diagnosis and treatment. J Hypertens 2006; 24(12):2331–9.
- Kjeldsen SE, Neubig RR, Weder AB, Zweifler AJ. The hypertension-coronary heart disease dilemma: the catecholamine-blood platelet connection. J Hypertens 1989; 7(11):851-60.
- Litschka-Schimpf G, Manzl G, Schimpf A, Weiss M, Eberspächer H, Weicker H. Influence of different experimental recreation treatments on sympathoadrenergic and metabolic regulation mechanisms in repeated exercises. Int J Sports Med 1988; Suppl 2:S146–50.
- Zumárraga M, Dávila R, Basterreche N, Arrue A, Goienetxea B, Zamalloa MI, et al. Catechol O-methyltransferase and monoamine oxidase A genotypes, and plasma catecholamine metabolites in bipolar and schizophrenic patients. Neurochem Int 2010; 56(6–7):774–9.
- Barron J. Phaeochromocytoma: diagnostic challenges for biochemical screening and diagnosis. J Clin Pathol 2010; 63(8):669–674.
- Manger WM, Gifford RW. Pheochromocytoma. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2002;4(1):62–72.
- Bravo EL, Tagle R. Pheochromocytoma: state-of-the-art and future prospects. Endocr Rev 2003;24(4):539–53.
- Omura M, Saito J, Yamaguchi K, Kakuta Y, Nishikawa T. Prospective study on the prevalence of secondary hypertension among hypertensive patients visiting a general outpatient clinic in Japan. Hypertens Res 2004; 27(3):193–202.
- Silverstein FS, Hutchinson RJ, Johnston MV. Cerebrospinal fluid biogenic amine metabolites in children during treatment for acute lymphocytic leukemia. Pediatr Res 1986; 20(4):285–91.
- Izbicki T, Izbicka E, Mazur J. Prognostic significance of biochemical heterogeneity of catecholaminergic clones in neuroblastoma. J Pediatr Surg 2006; 41(9):1506–12.
- Sukhareva GV, Khomeriki SG. Carcinoid and carcinoid syndrome. Eksp Klin Gastroenterol 2008; 3:110–9. [Article in Russian].
- Korse CM1, Bonfrer JM, Aaronson NK, Hart AA, Taal BG. Chromogranin A as an alternative to 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid in the evaluation of symptoms during treatment of patients with neuroendocrine tumors. Neuroendocrinology 2009; 89(3):296–301.
- Mamedov IS, Glagovsky PB, Zolkina IV, Sukhorukov VS, Vasin VI. A new method of chromatographic analysis of the metabolites of catecholamines and serotonin in the laboratory diagnosis of various diseases. Vopr Biol Med Farm Khim 2014; 7:59-63. [Article in Russian].
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2015; 5(2):87-90. © 2015 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.