1Rostov-on-Don State Medical University, Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation; 2Medical Centre "Novomeditsina", Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Irina V. Sarvilina, PhD, ScD. CEO of Medical Centre «Novomeditsina», Rostov-on-Don, Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: March 16, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(1)_OA15
The purpose of this study was to search for new molecular markers for the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis (UC).
The study included 65 patients (range from 22 to 35 years, 24 men and 41 women) with left-sided UC (Montréal classification), mild and moderate activity, infrequent (≤1/year) relapses according to the inclusion/exclusion criteria in the research. Criteria of the diagnosis of UC corresponded to ECCO Consensus . The duration of UC was 5.3 years. The control group included 30 healthy individuals. Molecular phenotyping of colon mucosa was processed with methods of proteomics. The data of the molecular interactions were received with STRING 10.0 database. Potentially new molecular markers of the development of UC were identified
- Lakatos PL. Recent trends in the epidemiology of inflammatory bowel diseases: up or down? World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12(38):6102-8.
- Büsch K, Ludvigsson JF, Ekström-Smedby K, Ekbom A, Askling J, Neovius M. Nationwide prevalence of inflammatory bowel disease in Sweden: a population-based register study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014;39(1):57–68.
- Garrett WS, Gordon JJ, Glimcher LH. Homeostasis and inflammation in the intestine. Cell. 2010;140(6):859-70.
- Andersen V, Christensen J, Ernst A, Jacobsen BA, Tjønneland A, Krarup HB, et al. Polymorphisms in NF-kB, PXR, LXR, PPARγ and risk of inflammatory bowel disease. World J. Gastroenterol. 2011;17(2):197–206.
- Andersen V, Nimmo E, Krarup HB, Drummond H, Christensen J, Ho GT, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) polymorphisms and risk of inflammatory bowel disease in a Scottish and Danish case–control study. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17(4):937–46.
- Comelli EM, Lariani S, Zwahlen MC, Fotopoulos G, Holzwarth JA, Cherbut C, et al. Biomarkers of human gastrointestinal tract regions. Mamm Genome. 2009;20(8):516–27.
- Li X, Conklin L, Alex P. New serological biomarkers of inflammatory bowel disease. World J. Gastroenterol. 2008;14(33):5115–24.
- Satsangi J, Silverberg MS, Vermeire S, Colombel JF. The Montreal classification of inflammatory bowel disease: controversies, consensus, and implications. Gut. 2006;55(6):749–53.
- Truelove SC, Witts LJ. Cortisone in ulcerative colitis; final report on a therapeutic trial. Br Med J. 1955;2(4947):1041–8.
- D'Haens G, Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, Geboes K, Hanauer SB, Irvine EJ, et al. A review of activity indices and efficacy end points for clinical trials of medical therapy in adults with ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 2007;132(2):763–86.
- Dignass A, Eliakim R, Magro F, Maaser C, Chowers Y, Geboes K, et al. Second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis. Part 1: Definitions and diagnosis. J Crohns Colitis. 2012; 6(10):965–90.
- Schroeder KW, Tremaine WJ, Ilstrup DM. Coated oral 5-aminosalicylic acid therapy for mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis. A randomized study. N Engl J Med. 1987;317(26):1625–9.
- Travis SP, Schnell D, Krzeski P, Abreu MT, Altman DG, Colombel JF, et al. Developing an instrument to assess the endoscopic severity of ulcerative colitis: the Ulcerative Colitis Endoscopic Index of Severity (UCEIS). Gut. 2012;61(4):535–42.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016; 6(1):70-73. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.