¹ Tashkent Pediatric Medical Institute, ²Tashkent Medical Academy; Tashkent, Uzbekistan
*Corresponding author: Sherzod S. Abdullaev. Tashkent Medical Academy; Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: March 16, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(1)_OA3
The aim of our study was to investigate the left ventricular (LV) echocardiographic parameters and estimate the antiremodeling efficacy of eprosartan and lercanidipine in patients with CKD, depending on the presence or absence of diabetic nephropathy (DN).
Materials and Methods: The study included 121 patients (mean age 52.4±5.7 years) with CKD stage 3 (KDOQI, 2002). Patients were distributed in two groups according to the etiology of CKD. Group 1 consisted of 67 patients with non-diabetic CKD. Group 2 consisted of 54 CKD patients with DN. All patients had arterial hypertension grade 1 or 2 (ESH/ESC, 2013). All patients underwent clinical examination, echocardiography; GFR was estimated by the Cockcroft-Gault formula. Stages of chronic kidney disease (CKD) were determined according to the KDOQI 2002 classification. Eprosartan and lercanidipine were prescribed to patients after one week of lavage from previous antihypertensive therapy. This 6-month follow-up study compared the effectiveness of two courses of treatment.
Results: LVH was observed in all CKD patients regardless of the presence or absence of DN. Eprosartan and lercanidipine showed the high antihypertensive efficacy expressing a reliable decrease in absolute values of SBP and DBP. In CKD patients with DN, on the background of a comparable antihypertensive effect, eprosartan, in comparison with lercanidipine, showed a more pronounced effect on the LV echocardiographic parameters associated with LVH regression.
- House AA, Anand I, Bellomo R, Cruz D, Bobek I, Anker SD, et al.; Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative Consensus Group. Definition and classification of Cardio-Renal Syndromes: workgroup statements from the 7th ADQI Consensus Conference. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25(5):1416-20.
- Meyer KB, Levey AS. Controlling the epidemic of cardiovascular disease in chronic renal disease: Report from the National Kidney Foundation Task Force on Cardiovascular Disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998; 9(12 Suppl):S31- S42.
- Di Lullo L, Gorini A, Russo D, Santoboni A, Ronco C. Left Ventricular Hypertrophy in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients: From Pathophysiology to Treatment. Cardiorenal Med. 2015;5:254-266
- Foley RN, Curtis BM, Randell EW, Parfrey PS. Left ventricular hypertrophy in new hemodialysis patients without symptomatic cardiac disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(5):805-13.
- Parikh SV, de Lemos JA. Biomarkers in cardiovascular disease: integrating pathophysiology into clinical practice. Am J Med Sci. 2006;332(4):186-97.
- Levy D, Garrison RJ, Savage DD, Kannel WB, Castelli WP. Prognostic implications of echocardiographically determined left ventricular mass in the Framingham Heart Study. N Engl J Med. 1990;322(22):1561-6.
- Paoletti E, Specchia C, Di Maio G, Bellino D, Damasio B, Cassottana P, Cannella G. The worsening of left ventricular hypertrophy is the strongest predictor of sudden cardiac death in haemodialysis patients: a 10 year survey. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2004;19(7):1829-34.
- Zoccali C, Benedetto FA, Mallamaci F, Tripepi G, Giacone G, Stancanelli B, et al. Left ventricular mass monitoring in the follow-up of dialysis patients: prognostic value of left ventricular hypertrophy progression. Kidney Int. 2004;65(4):1492-8.
- London GM, Pannier B, Guerin AP, Blacher J, Marchais SJ, Darne B, et al. Alterations of left ventricular hypertrophy in and survival of patients receiving hemodialysis: follow-up of an interventional study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12(12):2759 -67.
- Mattioli AV, Zennaro M, Bonatti S, Bonetti L, Mattioli G. Regression of left ventricular hypertrophy and improvement of diastolic function in hypertensive patients treated with telmisartan. Int J Cardiol. 2004;97(3):383-8.
- Devereux RB, Palmieri V, Liu JE, Wachtell K, Bella JN, Boman K, et al. Progressive hypertrophy regression with sustained pressure reduction in hypertension: the Losartan Intervention for Endpoint Reduction study. J Hypertens. 2002;20(7):1445-50.
- Krane V, Winkler K, Drechsler C, Lilienthal J, Marz W, Wanner C; German Diabetes and Dialysis Study Investigators. Effect of atorvastatin on inflammation and outcome in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus on hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 2008;74(11):1461-7.
- Abergel E, Tase M, Bohlender J, Menard J, Chatellier G. Which definition for echocardiographic left ventricular hypertrophy? Am J Cardiol. 1995; 75(7):498-502.
- K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification. National Kidney Foundation. Am J Kidney Dis. 2002;39(2 Suppl 1):S1-S266.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016; 6(1):18-21. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.