N.I. Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University; Moscow, the Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Professor Julia E. Dobrokhotova, PhD, ScD. Head of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical Faculty, N.I. Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow, the Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: March 16, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(1)_OA6
Background: The aim of this study was to estimate the particular qualities of pregnancy and delivery among patients after uterine artery embolization (UAE) for uterine fibroids (UF).
Materials and Methods: The study included 161pregnant women. We performed a comparative analysis of pregnancy and delivery among patients after UAE, patients with UF without UAE, and healthy patients with physiological pregnancy and childbirth.
Results: The frequency of complications during pregnancy and delivery among patients after UAE for UF was not significantly different from the frequency of complications among patients without UF and significantly lower than the complication rate among patients with UF without UAE.
Conclusion: UAE use is a highly efficient alternative to surgical or medical treatments for UF in patients of reproductive age, which plan pregnancy.
- Foster WG, Neal MS, Han MS, Dominguez MM. Environmental contaminants and human infertility: hypothesis or cause for concern. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2008;11(3-4):162–76.
- Mohan PP, Hamblin MH, Vogelzang RL. Uterine artery embolization and its effect on fertility. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013; 24(7): 925-30.
- Khaund A, Lumsden MA. Impact of fibroids on reproductive function. Best Pract Rese Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2008; 22(4):749-60.
- Imaoka I, Wada A, Matsuo M, Yoshida M, Kitagaki H, Sugimura K. MR imaging of disorders associated with female infertility: use in diagnosis, treatment, and management. Radiographics.2003; 23(6):1401-21.
- ACOG Committee Opinion. Uterine artery embolization. Committee on Gynecologic Practice, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol.2004;103(2):403–4.
- Berkane N, Moutafoff-Borie C. Impact of previous uterine artery embolization on fertility. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2010;22(3):242–7.
- Mara M, Horak P, Kubinova K, Dundr P, Belsan T, Kuzel D. Hysteroscopy after uterine fibroid embolization: evaluation of intrauterine findings in 127 patients. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2012; 38(5):823-31.
- Pron G, Mocarski E, Bennett J, Vilos G, Common A, Vanderburgh L; Ontario UFE Collaborative Group. Pregnancy after uterine artery embolization for leiomyomata: the Ontario multicenter trial. Obstet Gynecol.2005;105(1):67-76.
- Mikhalevich SI, Kapusta AV. Pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period among women with uterine fibroids. Medical News. 2011;2:18-25.[Article in Russian]
- Samoilova TE. Uterine fibroids. Justification of non-operative treatment (review). Reprod Problems. 2003;9(4):32-36.
- Pelage JP,Walker WJ, Le Dref O, Rymer R. Ovarian artery: angiographic appearance, embolization and relevance to uterine fibroid embolization. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2003; 26(3):227-33.
- Levie MD. Uterine artery embolization: Laparoscopic myomectomy. FIGO World Congress of Gynecology and Obstetrics (16th 2000 Washington DC). NY: Elsevier; 2000.
- Hutchins FL Jr, Worthington-Kirsch R. Embolotherapy for myoma-induced menorrhagia. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2000; 27(2):397-405.
- Goodwin SC, Bonilla SC, Sacks D, Reed RA, Spies JB, Landow WJ, et al. Reporting standards for uterine artery embolization for the treatment of uterine leiomyomata. J Vacs Interv Radiol 2003; 14(9 Pt2):S467-76.
- Honda I, Sato T, Adachi H, Kobayashi Y, Shimada K, Watanabe H, Okada Y, Inoue M. Uterine artery embolization for leiomyoma: complications and effects on fertility. Nihon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi. 2003;63(6):294-302. [Article in Japanese].
- Sakhautdinova IV. Uterine artery embolization is a uterine-conserving surgical method for fibroids treatment. Perm Med Zh. 2006;23(3):126-36. [Article in Russian].
- Chitrit Y, Zafy S, Pelage JP, Ledref O, Khoury R, Caubel P. Amenorrhea due to partial uterine necrosis after uterine artery embolization for control of refractory postpartum hemorrhage. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2006;127(1):140-2.
- Gaia G, Chabrot P, Cassagnes L, Calcagno A, Gallot D, Botchorishvili R, et al. Menses recovery and fertility after artery embolization for PPH: a single-center retrospective observational study. Eur Radiol. 2009;19(2):481-7.
- Guo WB, Yang JY, Chen W, Zhuang WQ. Amenorrhea after uterine fibroid embolization: a report of six cases. Ai Zheng. 2008;27(10):1094-9. [Article in Chinese].
- Dewdney SB, Mani NB, Zuckerman DA, Thaker PH. Uteroenteric fistula after uterine artery embolization. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118(2 Pt 2):434-6.
- Maheux-Lacroix S, Lemyre M, Laberge PY, Lamarre A, Bujold E. Uterine artery embolization complicated by uterine perforation at the site of previous myomectomy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2012;19(1):128-30.
- Donnez O, Jadoul P, Squifflet J, Donnez J. Unusualcomplication after uterine artery embolization and laparoscopic myomectomy in a woman wishing to preserve future fertility. Fertil Steril. 2008;90(5):2007.e5-9.
- Kapranov SA, Breusenko VG, Dobrokhotova JE, Kurtser MA, Bobrov BJ, Krasnova IA. Uterine artery embolization: a modern view on the problem. Part 1. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2007;1:72-87. [Article in Russian].
- Bradley LD. Uterine fibroid embolization: a viable alternative to hysterectomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;201(2):127-35.
- Firouznia K, Ghanaati H, Sanaati M, Jalali AH, Shakiba M. Pregnancy after uterine artery embolization for symptomatic fibroids: a series of 15 pregnancies. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009;192(6):1588-92.
- McLucas B, Perrella R, Adler L. Embolization for the treatment of adenomyosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2002; 178(4):1028–9.
- Murvatov KD, Obelchak IS, Myshenkova SA, Adamyan LV. Uterine artery embolization is minimally invasive method for uterine fibroid treatment (review). Probl Reprod. 2004; 6:43-50. [Article in Russian].
- McLucas B. Pregnancy following uterine artery embolization: an update. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2013;22(1):39-44.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016; 6(1):33-37. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.