¹Institute of Medicine, Ecology and Physical Education of Ulyanovsk State University, Ulyanovsk; ²Lipetsk Regional Oncology Center, Lipetsk; the Russian Federation
Corresponding author: Prof. Alexei L. Charyshkin, PhD, ScD, Head of the Faculty Surgery Department, Institute of Medicine, Ecology and Physical Education, Ulyanovsk State University, Ulyanovsk, the Russian Federation. E-mail: email@example.com
Published: June 20, 2016. DOI: 10.21103/Article6(2)_OA3
The objective of this study was to evaluate the immediate results of the use of ureterointestinal anastomosis according to the Bricker technique at radical cystectomy (RC) for bladder cancer (BC).
Materials and Results: The study included 96 patients (11.5% women and 88.5% men) with bladder cancer (BC), aged from 31 to 74 years (mean age 63.8±7.2), who underwent RC in the Lipetsk Regional Oncology Center, in the period from 2005 to 2014. Among the early postoperative complications, we identified dynamic ileus (16.7%), inflammatory complications of the surgical wound (12.5%), acute pyelonephritis (10.4%), and failure of ureterointestinal anastomosis (4.2%). The frequency of postoperative acute pyelonephritis corresponded to the findings of other authors. Two (2.1%) patients died from early postoperative complications because of concomitant diseases (ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction); thus, postoperative mortality in the early postoperative period was 4.2%. Chronic pyelonephritis with chronic renal failure detected in 15(15.6%) patients after one year after surgery was the most frequent late postoperative complication. The stricture of ureterointestinal anastomosis in 9(9.4%) patients has been eliminated through relaparotomy and resection of anastomosis. The development of urolithiasis in 12(12.5%) patients after one year after surgery has required the implementation of contact lithotripsy and litholytic therapy.
- Izmailov AA Risk factors for development, prognosis, and treatment selection of bladder cancer. ScD Thesis. Ufa, 2014.
- Chissov VI, Alekseev BYa, Rusakov IG. National guidelines. Oncology. Moscow: Publishing House "GEOTAR-Media"; 2012. [Manual in Russian].
- Charyshkin AL, Matorkin DA. Surgical treatment of patients with bladder cancer. Ulyanovsk Biomedical Zhurnal. 2015;4:8-13.
- Abol-Eneim H. Ghoneim MA. Further clinical experience with the ileal W-neobladder and a serous-lined extramural tunnel for orthotopic substitution. Br J Urol. 1995 Nov;76(5):558-64.
- Bassi P, Ferrante GD, Piazza N, Spinadin R, Carando R, Pappagallo G, et al. Prognostic factors of outcome after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: a retrospective study of a homogeneous patient cohort. J Urol. 1999 May;161(5):1494-7.
- Deliveliotis C, Papatsoris A, Chrisofos M, Dellis A, Liakouras C, Skolarikos A. Urinary diversion in high-risk elderly patients: modified cutaneous ureterostomy or ileal conduit?Urology. 2005 Aug;66(2):299-304.
- Farnham SB, Cookson MS. Surgical complications of urinary diversion. World J Urol. 2004 Sep;22(3):157-67.
- Ferlay J, Autier P, Boniol M, Heanue M, Colombet M, Boyle P. Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006. Ann Oncol. 2007 Mar;18(3):581-92.
- Fulda S, Vucic D. Targeting IAP proteins for therapeutic intervention in cancer. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2012 Feb 1;11(2):109-24.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Consensus Conference on Bladder Cancer, Hautmann RE, Abol-Enein H, Hafez K, Haro I, Mansson W, Mills RD, et al. Urinary diversion. Urology. 2007 Jan;69(1 Suppl):17-49.
- Hautmann RE1, Volkmer BG, Schumacher MC, Gschwend JE, Studer UE. Long-term results of standard procedures in urology: the ileal neobladder. World J Urol. 2006 Aug;24(3):305-14.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E. Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin. 2010; 60(5):277-300.
- Lawrentschuk N, Colombo R, Hakenberg OW, Lerner SP, Månsson W, Sagalowsky A, et al. Prevention and management of complications following radical cystectomy for bladder cancer. Eur Urol. 2010 Jun;57(6):983-1001.
- Nagele U, Kuczyk M, Anastasiadis AG, Sievert KD, Seibold J, Stenzl A. Radical cystectomy and orthotopic bladder replacement in females. Eur Urol. 2006 Aug;50(2):249-57
- Stein JP1, Skinner DG. Radical cystectomy for invasive bladder cancer: long-term results of a standard procedure. World J Urol. 2006 Aug;24(3):296-304
- Stenz A, Nagele U, Kuczyk M, Sievert K-D, Anastasiadis A, Seibold J, et al. Cystectomy – Technical Considerations in Male and Female Patients. EAU Update Series. 2005; 3(3):138–46.
- Wood DN1, Allen SE, Hussain M, Greenwell TJ, Shah PJ. Stomal complications of ileal conduits are significantly higher when formed in women with intractable urinary incontinence. J Urol. 2004 Dec;172(6 Pt 1):2300-3.
- Yossepowitch O, Dalbagni G, Golijanin D, Donat SM, Bochner BH, Herr HW, et al. Orthotopic urinary diversion after cystectomy for bladder cancer: implications for cancer control and patterns of disease recurrence. J Urol. 2003 Jan;169(1):177-81.
- Aziz A, May M, Burger M, Palisaar RJ, Trinh QD, Fritsche HM, et al. Prediction of 90-day mortality after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in a prospective European multicenter cohort. Eur Urol. 2014; 66(1):156-63
- Shabsigh A, Korets R, Vora KC, Brooks CM, Cronin AM, Savage C, et al. Defining early morbidity of radical cystectomy for patients with bladder cancer using a standardized reporting methodology. Eur Urol. 2009; 55(1):164-74.
- Albisinni S, Oderda M, Fossion L, Varca V, Rassweiler J, Cathelineau X,et al. The morbidity of laparoscopic radical cystectomy: analysis of postoperative complications in a multicenter cohort by the European Association of Urology (EAU)-Section of Uro-Technology. World J Urol. 2016;34(2):149-56.
- Gandaglia G, Varda B, Sood A, Pucheril D, Konijeti R, Sammon JD, et al. Short-term perioperative outcomes of patients treated with radical cystectomy for bladder cancer included in the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) database. Can Urol Assoc J. 2014; 8(9-10):E681-7.
- Lavallée LT, Schramm D, Witiuk K, Mallick R, Fergusson D, Morash C, et al. Peri-operative morbidity associated with radical cystectomy in a multicenter database of community and academic hospitals. PLoS One. 2014; 9(10):e111281.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2016;6(2):110-113. © 2016 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.